Discussion Forum Leica S System Images to Share Images and thoughts from Cuba
    Cam Garner

I just returned from 7 days of shooting in Cuba – my first trip there. I was really excited about taking my S2 and putting it through its paces. As it turns out, I shot over 90% of my images with my Canon. Don’t get me wrong – I love my Leica and the images I have taken with it blow the Canon away from a quality perspective. So why didn’t I shoot more with it. The major reason was I was frequently in low light situations where I needed to shoot at a high ISO. Additionally, I was constantly on the move and couldn’t carry both systems so when in doubt I took the Canon. Given my recent experience, there are clearly two things that would dramatically improve the S2 for travel photography – one more stop of speed and a zoom lens. I found images shot up to ISO 640 were very good but I don’t think 1250 is really useable. So give me a 1250 that’s as good as 640. In terms of a zoom, I would be happy with a 45mm to 120mm. With a zoom in that range and my 30mm I would be covered for 90% of my travel shooting. I know we will all have different opinions about this but when I look at my metadata from when I do travel photography it would work for me. More megapixels I don’t need!

Mark Gowin

Very impressive photos. The images have a very good texture to them. I agree with you about wanting an extra stop of clean ISO. Your photo of the Harley gas cap at ISO 640 demonstrates just how good it can be when properly exposed. Too bad ISO 1250 isn’t as good. Even with the relatively fast Leica S glass, sometimes you really need more low light capability than the S2 is currently capable of delivering. Even so, I have a very hard time making myself use my Canon.

I would like to think Leica is working on a firmware improvement that would eek out better ISO 1250 performance. That is probably just a dream on my part since I haven’t heard anything about new firmware. However, I have read that Leica is working on a 30 – 90mm zoom for the S2 and I am really looking forward to it.

Pete Walentin

Cam the third one is super cool. I love the motion, the tonality and the colors. GREAT!

Al Tanabe

Cam,
    Great shots, I like the one with the blue car in motion adds a lot to the image.

I sincerely hope that there is someone working on a high ISO solution for the S2. To have to decide on image quality or just getting the image is tough.

Cam Garner

Thanks for the comments. A 30-90mm zoom would also be great then I could add the 120mm and I’m good. This would allow for long walks around a city without carrying a backpack. My current debate is whether I keep both my 30mm and my 35mm. Right now I’m thinking of selling the 35mm. Lugging both is too much extra poundage!

Kurt Kamka

Very nice series of images, Cam. I agree that the zoom would be nice. I only worry that I’d be not as fond of the variable aperture.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.