David K

These are from a recent shoot with David F and our friend Andre Rowe taken at his new Appleseed Studio in Ft. Lauderdale. The sweatshirt shot and the running outfit were taken with the new 120mm CS lens that David had for testing. Took us a few tries to get the new lenses to sync at 1/500th until we determined that the older Broncolor pack that we were using wasn’t up to the task. Neither of these two shots show the advantages of the CS lenses but David has a few that do and I’m sure he’ll share them with us. Bottom line is I’m going to want them 🙂

The beautiful model is Samantha. Hard to take a bad shot of her.

As an aside…I’ve been having excellent success nailing focus with the S2 shooting outdoors. In a dark studio with only the modeling light…not as good. This is a function of how I shoot, i.e. camera on tripod from a low angle with no ability to use AF to focus and recompose.

PS. For those of you who know Andre the answer is Yes…his shots were better 🙂

Attached files

rgk

My demographic as a denizen of the rural south explains why I am asking this question. What is benefit of a CS lens to an outside bright light handholding S2 shooter? Does your answer change when shooting flowers and/or bumblebees with the S2 and 120mm on a tripod?

Thanks for your answers.

David K

The advantage of CS lenses is only relevant when shooting with lights…you get a faster sync speed…1/500th vs 1/125th for non CS lenses. So if you’re just shooting with available light stick with the non CS lenses. But if you shoot with lights the faster sync speed will allow the use of wider apertures with accompanying shallower DOF. David F has an image that will illustrate this point.

Mark Gowin

Well done David. Samantha is a terrific model. The 120mm is perfectly suited for this type of photography and therefore, the CS version would be ideal. It’s a good thing I don’t do this type of photography because I would have to buy a 120mm CS.

David K

The 70mm works just fine Mark 🙂

Mark Gowin

That is good to know. Thank you.

I actually ventured outside my comfort zone of landscapes and wildlife earlier this week and did some bridal shots for a friend. Surprisingly, I ended up using all three of my lenses – 35mm, 70mm (most used), and 180mm (least used).

fotografz

Me wantie.

I’ve told my dealer that the minute they are available I want to upgrade at least two probably three lenses to CS … 35 and 120 for sure, and the 70 if I can afford it. I don’t need the 180 in CS form.

Here’s a question for those that have touched the real thing … are they bigger fatter longer? How much more do they weigh?

-Marc

stephan

The advantage of CS lenses is only relevant when shooting with lights…you get a faster sync speed…1/500th vs 1/125th for non CS lenses. So if you’re just shooting with available light stick with the non CS lenses. But if you shoot with lights the faster sync speed will allow the use of wider apertures with accompanying shallower DOF. David F has an image that will illustrate this point.

is this really so relevant? I never understood why a wide aperture should be usefull in a studio with a white, black or neutral backround? And if so, why not reduce the lights then? Let’s say with the 120 @ 5,6 and about 1/150th you should get decent images, or do I miss something there?

stephan

Here’s a question for those that have touched the real thing … are they bigger fatter longer? How much more do they weigh?

from the documents on the lenses, the CS-Version weights about 150 g more than the non-CS (for the 120 mm lens). The size should be the same

David Farkas

stephan;1313 wrote: is this really so relevant? I never understood why a wide aperture should be usefull in a studio with a white, black or neutral backround? And if so, why not reduce the lights then? Let’s say with the 120 @ 5,6 and about 1/150th you should get decent images, or do I miss something there?

You’re correct. It doesn’t matter in studio. The faster sync is only useful when shooting outdoors with studio strobes.

David K;1264 wrote: …The sweatshirt shot and the running outfit were taken with the new 120mm…

Did I understand correctly…the others were taken with a 70 mm?

Thanks for posting these.

David K

Guest;1332 wrote: Did I understand correctly…the others were taken with a 70 mm?

Thanks for posting these.

Yes… that is correct.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.