Discussion Forum Leica M System M Lenses Zeiss Biogon T 2.8/21mm ZM
    ski542002

Hi: I’m seriously looking at this Zeiss Biogon lens for my M9 and have heard great things about it, especially at this price point. Anyone using this lens for architectural? I’m also considering the hood, to primarily reduce incidents of flare, but see the hood is very shallow. Is the hood beneficial/necessary for this lens?

David Farkas

ski542002;2538 wrote: Hi: I’m seriously looking at this Zeiss Biogon lens for my M9 and have heard great things about it, especially at this price point. Anyone using this lens for architectural? I’m also considering the hood, to primarily reduce incidents of flare, but see the hood is very shallow. Is the hood beneficial/necessary for this lens?

Honestly, I don’t have a lot of experience with this Zeiss lens vs. the Leica 28mm Elmarit ASPH, so I can’t make a recommendation one way or the other.

If you do decide to purchase the lens, we have a mint condition used one for sale at $995. Here’s a few photos of the actual lens (not stock):

[EMAIL=david@dalephotoanddigital.com]Email me[/EMAIL] if you are interested.

gogopix

Interesting. I have one, in a box, new, unopened, and with the delivery (thanks David!) of my new M9-P to replace a M9 that I sold, I am tempted to try this. I’ll let you know. I had the 21/2.8 Leica and sold that as I was not that impressed with the rendering and the hood was a bit problematic.

I also have a Contax CY 21mm 2.8 with an LM mount adapter that i am going to try. As you can tell, I have WAYYYY too many lenses and not enough time…:eek:

regards
    Victor

David Farkas

gogopix;2847 wrote: Interesting. I have one, in a box, new, unopened, and with the delivery (thanks David!) of my new M9-P to replace a M9 that I sold, I am tempted to try this. I’ll let you know. I had the 21/2.8 Leica and sold that as I was not that impressed with the rendering and the hood was a bit problematic.

I also have a Contax CY 21mm 2.8 with an LM mount adapter that i am going to try. As you can tell, I have WAYYYY too many lenses and not enough time…:eek:

regards
    Victor

Victor,

I’m curious if the C/Y and the ZM optical formula are the same. Knowing your collection, I’d second the too many lenses comment. Of course, it could be argued that there is no such thing as too many lenses. 😀

ski542002

Hi:

I purchased the almost-new 21 Biogon shown earlier in this thread from David a few month back. Although I’ve never shot with any Leica super wides, I can say the Biogon is the sharpest, lowest distortion wide lens I’ve ever used. A great piece of glass at a very great price!

gogopix

David,
    The Biogon is 9 elements in 7 groups. The C/Y is a distagon formula, and 15 elements in 13 groups…a lot more complicated, and for some with a bit of distortion. That was one of the critiques of some zeiss lenses of old, REALLYcutting sharp but with trade off of distortion. I never saw or was bothered by it. Of course the ZM biogon is way easier to use as the C/Y is really aimed at SLRs and I believe was released in Nikon and other mounts.

I’ll try when I get back from NY, as I can’t handle too many lenses on this trip. Too bad I don’t still have the 21 elmarit for comparison, but David, wanna lend me a Lux (LOL)?

Ski, if David handled it then I am encouraged to try the Biogon (so, it won’t be NIB if I sell it,, but LNIB if I decide to go for the 21 lux! 🙂

I’ll let you know

Victor

PS: I have little time and I see that this doesn’t get the traffic of the LUF, but the discussions are a lot more practical. I may ck here more often.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.