Discussion Forum Leica S System S Lenses Lens Profiles for Photoshop?
    ciracrowell

Has anyone found Summarit-S lens profiles for Photoshop? Specifically looking for the S-70 and S-120.

Stuart Richardson

Click on the filter menu, then on Lens Correction. That will open up a dialog box and a preview. On the right under auto correction, there should be a list of camera manufacturers and lens models, if it does not automatically detect it from Exif.
    You might need CS5, I am not sure…

ciracrowell

Hi Stuart,

Thanks so much for your reply. CS5 has a list of 10 or so camera makers, models and lenses. Leica is not one of them. There are excellent correction options available under the Filter>Lens Correction>Custom tab. However, it would be interesting to see what changes specific S-System profiles might offer.

Very Best,
    Cira

Stuart Richardson

Hi Cira,
    When did you last update CS5? In my version, all the Leica S profiles are there…in Lightroom 4, they have also added many M lenses… I think the profiles are ready, you might just have to download them specifically and add them. I don’t believe I did this, so it might just be a matter of checking for updates and installing them that way. Hope this helps!
    Stuart

tllabron

Stuart Richardson;2109 wrote: Click on the filter menu, then on Lens Correction. That will open up a dialog box and a preview. On the right under auto correction, there should be a list of camera manufacturers and lens models, if it does not automatically detect it from Exif.
    You might need CS5, I am not sure…

Stuart,

You are right, I have CS3 on most of my computers and it does not have Leica info on it, but I have a 64bit copy of Photoshop from CS5 and Leica is listed, but my copy on listed three lenses, the 120mm, 70mm, and 35mm.

Tom L.L.

David Farkas

tllabron;2320 wrote: Stuart,

You are right, I have CS3 on most of my computers and it does not have Leica info on it, but I have a 64bit copy of Photoshop from CS5 and Leica is listed, but my copy on listed three lenses, the 120mm, 70mm, and 35mm.

Tom L.L.

Tom,

The 180mm doesn’t have any corrections because it doesn’t need any. The lens is about as close to perfect as it gets… from wide-open to infinity. If you update your ACR, you should have the 30mm also as this was added this past fall.

gdb

Hi!

CS6 has all the S-lenses profiles (in the “Lens Correction Filter”) together with most of M-lenses profiles (Nothing for the R-lenses, unfortunately…)

I own the S-35mm-Summarit which shows magenta fringes in some situations (windows glasses in churches, for example), and the corresponding Photoshop lens profiles does not correct the problem. At least, I noticed no difference whether the profile is used or not…

Here is an example of the Bamberg cathedral and a crop on the windows

Gérard

Attached files

PebblePlace

Hi Gérard –

Is purple CA before editing in CS6 or after editing in CS6? Also, do you use Lightroom as your raw editor? Lightroom v4.1 rc2 has the same Adobe Camera Raw module (version 7.1) built-in.

Thus far I have not been very impressed with Adobe’s CA removal. The CA removal in Capture One is more effective are in most cases removes all purple color fringing. Unfortunately the C1 lens corrections are grayed-out on the Leica S2 DNG.

Stuart Richardson

While I have not seen that kind of color fringing from the S lenses, I would say that if you go into the manual corrections area and select “defringe” and then “all edges”, it should help with that. If that does not work, then doing a local selection on that area and desaturating it should work fairly well.

gdb

Hi Pebbleplace,

The purple CA I posted came right after processing the original DNG in Capture One Pro.

I quite agree with your opinion Adobe’s CA removal. Actually, I am a long time user of Capture One Pro, which I find the best (by far) for sharpness rendition and moiré correction. This was the time I used the R9/DMR (with 7 wonderful lenses like the famous f:2,8 35-70mm). After my whole gear was stolen, I finally decided to make the jump into the S2 system, but with the 35mm and the 120mm only. I really enjoy this gear, but I feel very frustrated with Capture One who obviously refuses to process S2 DNGs whereas they process any other brand’s RAW, including some Leica’s… Jealousy ?

Hi Stuart,

I followed both your advices. It is true that the “defringe all edges” command helps quite a lot. I must say that since I feel OK with C1, I haven’t learned much in Lightroom handling. But your second advice (local selection and desaturation) solved the problem very elegantly. I wouldn’t have had the idea of using this command. So let me thank you for what you taught me.

Here is the result.

Very warmly to both of you, Pebbleplace and Stuart

Gérard

David Farkas

gdb;2357 wrote: Hi Pebbleplace,

The purple CA I posted came right after processing the original DNG in Capture One Pro.

I quite agree with your opinion Adobe’s CA removal. Actually, I am a long time user of Capture One Pro, which I find the best (by far) for sharpness rendition and moiré correction. This was the time I used the R9/DMR (with 7 wonderful lenses like the famous f:2,8 35-70mm). After my whole gear was stolen, I finally decided to make the jump into the S2 system, but with the 35mm and the 120mm only. I really enjoy this gear, but I feel very frustrated with Capture One who obviously refuses to process S2 DNGs whereas they process any other brand’s RAW, including some Leica’s… Jealousy ?

Hi Stuart,

I followed both your advices. It is true that the “defringe all edges” command helps quite a lot. I must say that since I feel OK with C1, I haven’t learned much in Lightroom handling. But your second advice (local selection and desaturation) solved the problem very elegantly. I wouldn’t have had the idea of using this command. So let me thank you for what you taught me.

Here is the result.

Very warmly to both of you, Pebbleplace and Stuart

Gérard

Gérard,

I had a similar love affair with the DMR and C1. When I learned that the S2 was going to be optimized for use with LR, I spent two weeks learning it. At first, I was trying to match the results I was getting out of C1 (which I had used for 5 years), but very quickly found that I could easily surpass them with LR.

Going into the process, my perception was that C1 gave better sharpenss and detail. Unfortunately, the combination of Phase One choosing not to support S2 files and Adobe working very closely with Leica, this perception was quickly shattered… and this was with LR2.4. Now with LR4, lens profiles and even tighter working relationship with Adobe, LR will give far better results than C1.

I also had the benefit of advice from S2 product manager Stephan Schulz and Adobe software engineer Eric Chan. Using their recommendations, I was able to hone in a mix of settings to optimize S2 results. For LR3.4, I published presets and have been meaning to do the same with LR4 (as the process has changed).

I’m sure if you dedicate yourself to using LR, you will discover what I did.

As to why Phase One doesn’t support S2 DNGs, it is fairly obvious. The S2 is a competitive product. They also don’t support Hasselblad 3F files. Besides, I think that Leica made the right choice partnering with Adobe as this is sustainable for the long term and the software will only continue to get better with each subsequent release.

gdb

Hi David,

Thank you very much for taking time to help me. I appreciate very much. We do not know each other, as you live in Florida, which is quite far from the area of Chartres, where I live, a nice city 50 miles SW of Paris, France… But I can tell you that I have been reading your blog very often since I discovered it after Photokinas, and your advices and your enthusiasm about the S2 certainly influenced me to make this jump. In the same kind of ideas, I also appreciated Josh Lehrer’s videos on the S2 very much.

It is true that, because of having used C1 for years, as you did, I have not been very active to learn the secrets of LR. So, if YOU say that LR4 can give better results than C1, I am willing to come back to LR. I downloaded LR 4, and I think I would appreciate very much the possibility to use the presets you published about optimizing the S2 files. Where can I find this information ? Will you publish the same presets in LR 4 ?

Is there any particular handbook you would recommend for LR 4 ?

Thank you for your help. Very sincerely,

Gérard

fotophil

Hi David:

Please do publish your recommendations for S2 presets in LR 4.

Thanks

Pete Walentin

gdb;2359 wrote:

Where can I find this information ?

Hi Gérard,

You will find the presets in this article.

I switched as well from C1 to LR and I think both programs has their pros and cons. As there is no choice when using the S2 it wasn’t a big question for me. But today with LR4 you are ahead of C1. At least for now. 🙂

Cheers,
    Pete

David Farkas

I think this is pretty interesting too:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/04/new-color-fringe-correction-controls.html

LR4.1 will introduce entirely new CA and fringing controls. I haven’t tried it yet as I am skipping the RC (Release Candidate) and waiting for the full release. My entire catalog is in LR4 and I don’t risk moving to a new version until I know for sure it is 100% stable.

The presets that Pete linked to are a good place to start, but use the LR3 Process 2010 engine. I am working on a LR4 Process 2012 engine version. I just have a lot of other things going right now, like the four articles I’ll be publishing about new products and other information I gathered in Berlin.

Stuart Richardson

Gérard — I am glad the advice worked for you! I have not used Capture One in a long time, but when I did use it, I never got along too well with it. It did have nice results, but I did not really like the workflow. I am quite glad Leica chose to work with Adobe, because like David says, they have a much larger resource of people, money and talent for development of the software. For example, the new lightroom has a great implementation for soft-proofing and printing, it’s sharpening and RAW conversion algorithms are top notch, and the file management and sorting system is very sophisticated. No program is perfect, but Lightroom is probably the best end to end solution for image management currently made, and to have the S2 natively supported in it is a great advantage. It might not be the best choice for everyone, but I think the time spent learning Lightroom is really worth it. My work is primarily printing exhibitions for other photographers and artists, and I am using Lightroom to work on almost all the files…even from film scans. I now only go to photoshop for sophisticated masking or layer work or for heavy spotting/image restoration.

David K

I’ve been spending some time lately trying to improve my LR4 skills and stumbled upon a series of tutorials by George Jardine which I have found worthwhile (and reasonably priced). The guy really knows his stuff…

http://mulita.com/blog/?page_id=724

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.