Discussion Forum Leica S System S2 S2 with SanDisk SD card issue
    issa918

Hi all,

I have been experiencing shutter failure issue occasionally after I got my S2-P few months ago. My case is, the shutter suddenly refuse to release, without any indications, I simply couldn’t fire it. This has been happened with S70, Hasselblad HC80, HC100, Mamiya lens.

I didn’t turn off the camera and was shooting with the lenses, suddenly the camera couldn’t fire. Unless I unmount and mount the lens again and restart the camera. I have sent my camera to solm to check, and using a replacement unit, the problem still exist sometimes. (not very often, though, but it’s frustrating as you can imagine, esp. during strobe sections with models…:mad:)

Today, this happened again, and I turn off and remount the lens but this still happened, so I took out my SD card and insert again, it showed error on the OLED and I was freaking out! I did it again and it finally worked. So I started to suspect it was the SD card issue. I read that M9 had some issue with SanDisk SD, and wondering if this would be my case too.

Coincidentally, my friend who owns S2 had the same issue, and he is using the same card. Our cards are SanDisk Extreme SDHC-I Class 10 45MB/s 32GB. http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/sd/extreme-uhs-1-45mbs/

Does anyone encounter the similar issue? And which SD card are you using and work perfectly?

Will be very grateful if any inputs. Thanks!

Josh Lehrer

The Leica S2 does not support SDXC or UHS memory cards, this is most likely your problem. You need to use an SDHC card, which comes in sizes of 32GB or smaller. You cannot use an SD card larger than 32GB in the S2 or S2-P. I would recommend Transcend Class 10 32gb SDHC cards, that is what I have used for a number of years in the S2 without any problems at all.

issa918

Josh Lehrer;4239 wrote: The Leica S2 does not support SDXC or UHS memory cards, this is most likely your problem. You need to use an SDHC card, which comes in sizes of 32GB or smaller. You cannot use an SD card larger than 32GB in the S2 or S2-P. I would recommend Transcend Class 10 32gb SDHC cards, that is what I have used for a number of years in the S2 without any problems at all.

Thanks millions, Josh!!!

I will get the card you recommend. 🙂 I also sent my H to S adaptor to Leica Solm to examine. Wish it will solve the focus indication issue soon.

Cheers!

rsmphoto

So, is there any 32gb SDHC card with a faster than a 20Mb/s transfer rate that the S2 can use?

And to clarify, what’s the fastest useable 32gb CF card? UDMA 7 ok?

Thanks.

Josh Lehrer

In the Leica S2, the fastest SD card you can use is a class 10 SDHC card. It is not compatible with anything faster. Per a CF card, it is compatible with a UDMA6 card but not the newer UDMA7 cards. That’s one of the advantages that the new Leica S has, full compatibility with the latest 1000x UDMA7 CF cards. I’m getting write speeds 50-60% faster than I was with the S2 and UDMA6 CF cards.

To reiterate, Class 10 SDHC and UMDA6 CF are the fastest cards that you can use in the S2 or the S2-P. Anything newer (SDXC, UHS, UMDA7, etc) will not function properly in the camera.

rsmphoto

Great. Many thanks for the clarification!

Richard

issa918

Josh Lehrer;4243 wrote: In the Leica S2, the fastest SD card you can use is a class 10 SDHC card. It is not compatible with anything faster. Per a CF card, it is compatible with a UDMA6 card but not the newer UDMA7 cards. That’s one of the advantages that the new Leica S has, full compatibility with the latest 1000x UDMA7 CF cards. I’m getting write speeds 50-60% faster than I was with the S2 and UDMA6 CF cards.

To reiterate, Class 10 SDHC and UMDA6 CF are the fastest cards that you can use in the S2 or the S2-P. Anything newer (SDXC, UHS, UMDA7, etc) will not function properly in the camera.

Thanks a lot, Josh! Do you have experience with Transcend wi-fi SD? I found that it has class10 32GB capacity. It sounds very nice if I can connect my iphone or ipad to check focus during outdoor shooting section . 🙂

Josh Lehrer

I have seen the Eye-Fi cards used successfully in the S2 so I don’t see why the Transcend cards wouldn’t work, but I would test it thoroughly before taking it out in the field.

issa918

Josh Lehrer;4273 wrote: I have seen the Eye-Fi cards used successfully in the S2 so I don’t see why the Transcend cards wouldn’t work, but I would test it thoroughly before taking it out in the field.

Thanks, Josh!

I got the Transcend 16GB wifi SD tonight and everything works perfect. It’s able to use with my ipad and iphone. Just the original app can’t do too much zoom in to check details. I ‘m wondering if shuttersnitch can do this better.

albireo_double

Josh Lehrer;4243 wrote: In the Leica S2, the fastest SD card you can use is a class 10 SDHC card. It is not compatible with anything faster. Per a CF card, it is compatible with a UDMA6 card but not the newer UDMA7 cards. That’s one of the advantages that the new Leica S has, full compatibility with the latest 1000x UDMA7 CF cards. I’m getting write speeds 50-60% faster than I was with the S2 and UDMA6 CF cards.

Hmm… I have been using the Lexar CF UDMA7 1000x 32GB cards in my S2 without any problems. I am probably getting no speed advantage but I have not experienced any issues. The camera is functioning properly.

Josh Lehrer

As I’ve tested the UDMA7 cards more I do see that any card 32GB or smaller will work in the S2 so I think that they are OK to use. I’d still be very thorough when testing a UDMA7 CF card with the S2 before taking it to an important shoot.

issa918

Just an update, my s2-p was back from Solm. Solm checked everything and found everything is perfect, but did a full cleaning, adjustment for me, for FREE! My warranty will be expired in May, so I am so happy for this, esp. cleaning the CCD for free. :p

I now 90% sure my issue was due to the Sandisk Extreme 45mb/s, after my friend and I change to normal class 10 cards, we never have issue so far. He is using Toshiba class 10, and I was using the Transcend wi-fi.

Wish this helps!

joexpo

Oh thank you for the thread. I had the same issue with my S2. I am so worried and about to send the camera to Solm. Somehow, I think that they will send it back and said there is nothing wrong about my S2. I’ve tried to figure it out and I feel that it might be SD/CF card problems because the problem never occurred when I used the cable shooting from Lightroom (tethering mode). I’ve tried 3 Sandisk SD cards and one Transcend CF card but the problem still occurred. Right now I fix the problem by turn on and off the camera which is annoying. I think I will try more cards and hope it will fix the problem. If you have any updates please let me know. Thank you so much.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.