Jack MacD

Fellow S photographer, and my favorite printer, Joe Donovan has a wonderful one man show of his B&W work at the Wall Space Gallery in Santa Barbara. The quite complimentary review of his work and some of his images can be seen at this link:

http://www.independent.com/news/2014/jul/29/review-emsolace-photography-joseph-donovanem/

Those of us who shot with Joe on the Leica S New England trip in 2011 will recall how inspiring his approach was.

It’s good to see such a well deserved positive review of his work. I wish I lived nearer to Santa Barbara so I could visit the show. The size of his printed work for this show was 45″x30″ which requires not only an image great enough to be worthy of such an enlargement, but a work flow that allows quality enlargements to that size. By this post, I am encouraging Joe to post some of his images here, as well as discuss his technique for printing such large photos.

The image I am including below is a small image from the review itself, that is copyrighted by Joe.

Here is a link to the gallery with other examples of Joe’s work:
    http://ws-flatfile.com/2014/07/10/solace-joseph-donovan-at-wall-space-santa-barbara/

Congratulations Joe.
    Jack

Attached files

Mark Gowin

Congratulations, Joe. I wished I could have made it out to attend your gallery opening. Although I have seen several of the show images before, there is nothing like seeing them printed large and lit properly. More importantly, I wanted to show my support for your work. It is a lot of fun to shoot with you and watch your contemplative and studied approach to making images.

Jack, thank you so much for posting this thread and calling our attention to Joe’s accomplishment.

David K

Thanks for posting this Jack. Like you guys I have fond memories of our New England trip and Joe. Great guy as well as a talented photographer.

Joe

Thanks guys for your kind words, they are very much appreciated!

The New England trip was a great opportunity for me to meet my new Leica mates, talk shop and share images, many fond memories.

Perhaps it is time for a ‘Get the Band Back Together’ event?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.