David Farkas

Mark Gowin

How well does this work? A little bit of tilt could solve some of the foreground to main subject depth of field problems I have been having. Granted I wouldn’t want to tote that rig around all the time.

David Farkas

Mark Gowin;34 wrote: How well does this work? A little bit of tilt could solve some of the foreground to main subject depth of field problems I have been having. Granted I wouldn’t want to tote that rig around all the time.

It actually works very well. Note that the lens mounted here is a Scheider APO Macro 120mm. Because of the increased register distance (both from the adapter board depth as well as the depth of the mirror box) vs a digital back or sheet film, wide angle lenses don’t achieve infinity focus. We are looking into a recessed lensboard and/or a shorter adapter tube to be able to use wider lenses.

And, this Arca Swiss has a folding rail and disassembles/reassembles pretty easily. Taken apart, it is actually pretty portable. And the lenses are tiny.

David

Al Tanabe

Cool!

Took a look at a Sinar P3 this weekend, my they are proud of their price, $8000! I bought my first Sinar P 4×5 for $750

David Farkas

Atanabe;79 wrote: Cool!

Took a look at a Sinar P3 this weekend, my they are proud of their price, $8000! I bought my first Sinar P 4×5 for $750

Al,

An Arca Swiss 6×9 F-Classic like this one can be had for around $1800 used. And the form factor of 6×9 (2×3 in) is much smaller than 4×5 (in). Something to consider for field use.

David

Stuart Richardson

Just some questions out of curiosity, David…what is the widest lens you can focus to infinity with using this kind of setup? I suppose it would support basically any 4×5 lens as long as it was not too huge…
    How do you synchronise the shutters in the S2 and the view camera? Just with a flash sync or something similar? Or do you have to use a dual cable release, or even use bulb on the S2 and then trigger the lens shutter?

David Farkas

Stuart Richardson;668 wrote: Just some questions out of curiosity, David…what is the widest lens you can focus to infinity with using this kind of setup? I suppose it would support basically any 4×5 lens as long as it was not too huge…
    How do you synchronise the shutters in the S2 and the view camera? Just with a flash sync or something similar? Or do you have to use a dual cable release, or even use bulb on the S2 and then trigger the lens shutter?

Stuart,

We are currently experimenting to see what the widest usable lens is. We have a 15mm recessed lens board and a wide-angle bag bellows (both different than what is pictured here). Both of these have given us an extra 20mm or so, but we are exploring other avenues to reduce the register distance further. We will publish our final findings and some test shots soon.

As far as the shutter goes…. the S2 uses a focal plane shutter, so we just leave the lens shutter open. There is no reason to sync it. Same goes for using Hasselblad CF lenses.

Stuart Richardson

Yes, of course, the focal plane shutter! Not sure how I could have overlooked that! It also opens up some other nice options, like barrel lenses. I can see things like aero-ektars and process lenses could be fun to play with. Are you thinking of a generic graflock adapter, or similar, or are you only make something that would fit this specific camera? Just having a generic adapter might make it quite useful for studio work as well…sort of makes the problem of not having a technical camera option not quite so bad.

fotografz

Hmmmm … I have a full blown Rollei Xact-II with recessed lens boards and bellows bag for wides. I just wonder if someone like the Kapture Group could engineer a mount for the S2.

Hmmmm.

-Marc

hikemate

i love the idea of the 6by9. how much would it cost to hook my s2 up this device

wceide

Hello David,
    i found this thread doing a search on google looking for such a board to adapt an SL at the back of my F-line. I found nothing on the market, am i wrong ? Is the board custom made ?
    Thank you for the info.
    Just discovered this site / forum which seems to be a great source.
    best
    CW

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.