Discussion Forum Leica S System Images to Share Laura Wood from the Leica Studio Event at PhotoPlus
    Mark Gowin

I spend a good amount of time at the Leica Studio event during PhotoPlus this year. It was fun to see all of the new products from Leica in non-trade show environment. Of course I brought along my S2 and captured a few photos of the models when possible. I didn’t use the lights and only shot the models as they were posing for someone else or when they were finished they were kind enough to stand by the window and allow me to take their photo. This means that my photos were shot at ISO 640, wide open, and mostly in manual mode so I could set shutter speed appropriate for the lens. This way most of the photos were significantly under exposed and had to be corrected in LR, but at least they had a chance of being somewhat sharp.

My best photos were of a model named Laura Wood. She is a very nice young woman from Australia and had just arrived back in NYC that morning after an overnight flight from LA. She appears to be very talented especially considering she is only 17 years old. I generally don’t photograph people very often and have never had a formal shoot with a model so my opinion is based solely on the looks I was able to capture.

Jack MacD

Mark,
    Forgive me for my delayed viewing of your three shots, but leave the landscape work for a week and just shoot some portraits.

You and I have shot landscape work together, so I know how excellent your landscape work always is, but….

You have a knack for studio shots that you should not ignore.
    Privately you can link me to the rest of the shots, but your first shot should be printed and enlarged to 3 time life size. You have excellent talent in this arena. Don’t let it go to unrealized.

David Farkas

Mark,

I saw you over there chatting up the models, stealing shots by window light. Your results are pretty amazing given the brief amounts of time and light you were dealing with.

I have to echo what Jack said. Go and shoot more people in studio! With some decent lighting, you’ll find it’ll be easier to focus on posing and composition than fighting slow shutter speeds and limited DOF.

David K

Good work Mark…glad you had an opportunity to do this kind of shooting with some top notch models. You need to plan a trip to Florida when Roger is here and the three of us can go down to Andre’s studio and shoot some models. Maybe even with CS lenses 🙂

Mark Gowin

Thank you all for the kind words. I must admit I really enjoyed my brief time photographing the models and would like to do more of it. I think most of the talent showing in theses photos is from the model. I didn’t have to do anything but compose and fire shutter.

Jack, the first photo is my favorite as well and I do want to print it large – if nothing else just to see how ISO 640 holds up. The first photo was pretty close to properly exposed. The other two required an increase in exposure of 1 to 2 stops in LR so they are more noisy. However, the loss of detail from shooting at ISO 640 isn’t necessarily a bad thing when shooting people. All three images were processed in Lr and then Silver Efex 2.

David K. I would like to take you up on your offer. I don’t know when Roger is coming back down to Florida, but I am tentatively planning on coming down sometime in early December. I will be in touch.

Al Tanabe

Mark,
    Great stuff! You should take advantage of the lights when you can as well. Your use of the available light is very good, keep working on it!

Roger

Excellent work ! I had seen some of these earlier and agree that Mark has some real talent. David and Andre have the inside on the model shots in Florida … hope you can come down in January

james103

I have to echo what Jack said. Go and shoot more people in studio! With some decent lighting, you’ll find it’ll be easier to focus on posing and composition than fighting slow shutter speeds and limited DOF.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.