Anyone, David?

David Farkas

pophoto;2509 wrote: Anyone, David?

Yes…. still working on my full review. 🙂

pophoto

Thanks David!

Just checking 😛

Al Tanabe

Got to handle the X2 today and the improvements over the X1 are apparent. Faster AF, control dials tighter, higher ISO are all positive improvements. The chrome finish really is nice and the new leatherette cover a lot grippier. With all of the new cameras on the market competing for your hard earned money, I would still have to say that the X2 should receive some serious consideration. Compared to say the newly released Olympus OM-D, the simplicity of the X2 design trumps all of the whiz bang of the OM-D. My X1, which I have been very pleased with, is only improved upon with the X2 design.

If you want a camera that will produce great images with little thought, the X series is, in my opinion, the one to consider.

David Farkas

Atanabe;2520 wrote: Got to handle the X2 today and the improvements over the X1 are apparent. Faster AF, control dials tighter, higher ISO are all positive improvements. The chrome finish really is nice and the new leatherette cover a lot grippier. With all of the new cameras on the market competing for your hard earned money, I would still have to say that the X2 should receive some serious consideration. Compared to say the newly released Olympus OM-D, the simplicity of the X2 design trumps all of the whiz bang of the OM-D. My X1, which I have been very pleased with, is only improved upon with the X2 design.

If you want a camera that will produce great images with little thought, the X series is, in my opinion, the one to consider.

Al,

Did you hack my computer and read my draft of the X2 review?! 😉

Al Tanabe

LOL! David, I have my ways, after all you use a MS based computer!

Seriously, the local camera store, Glazers, had a two day camera fest where the manufacturers brought in speakers and showed all the gear. So I got a chance to handle all of the latest goodies including the M9M and X2. What I have to say is that while it is an incremental improvement with the X1-X2, it is by far the cleanest solution for imaging. A friend and fellow Leica user just picked up the OM-D and one of his pet peeves is the sheer number of buttons and menus in order to use the camera, so much so that the on/off switch gets lost in the confusion.

On a recent trip to Maui, I took just my X1 and really had a blast, the size of the camera lends itself to being taken everywhere and the image quality is good enough for me not wanting a larger camera for my vacations. The X2 would just improve the experience with the new features.

Mark Gowin

I couldn’t get accustomed to the slowness of the X1 and eventually sold mine although I loved the size and image quality. The X2 has apparently rectified the only issue I had the the X1 so now it is very tempting. I am looking forward to David’s review.

pophoto

Atanabe;2520 wrote: Got to handle the X2 today and the improvements over the X1 are apparent. Faster AF, control dials tighter, higher ISO are all positive improvements. The chrome finish really is nice and the new leatherette cover a lot grippier. With all of the new cameras on the market competing for your hard earned money, I would still have to say that the X2 should receive some serious consideration. Compared to say the newly released Olympus OM-D, the simplicity of the X2 design trumps all of the whiz bang of the OM-D. My X1, which I have been very pleased with, is only improved upon with the X2 design.

Does that mean an upgrade is in the works? 🙂

jafleming3

I love the X2.

It’s tiny and light. The form factor is both modern and classic – a beauty IMHO. I have the silver version, which is elegant, but I also like the black. Hard to choose which is the best.

Sounds can be turned off entirely, so there’s no loud shutter click when you make a photo.

Setting exposure parameters is easy and fast. There’s no need to navigate through a densely layered menu structure. The aperture and speed dials are much more rigid than in the X1 and cannot be accidentally changed.

You will need an EVF or OVF in bright sunlight. I prefer the EVF – it’s excellent and one of the main improvements and attractions of the X2 over the X1.

So far, I’ve found focusing accurate and easy (something that I can’t say about the Sony NEX 7, which I also own and like a lot), and focus speed is on par with competitors and a major improvement over the X1. I haven’t tried manual and zone focusing yet. Focus speed is not an issue anymore.

I find the auxiliary grip (same one for the X1) is indispensable.

The X2 feels more substantial, solidly built, than the X1, and it’s a tad larger.

And, the ultimate test – IQ – well, the ‘Leica look’ is evident in photos – it’s the best!

Quibbles / wish list? A built-in EVF would have been nice – i.e., a built-in OVF/EVF a la Fuji X100. That would have led to a much bigger camera, so I’m not sure. Use of DNG instead of RAW is a big plus (I wish other camera makers did that), but I’d like the option of selecting DNG only. This was an issue with the X1 as well; perhaps it’s difficult to achieve. And, the LCD screen appears similar to the X1 (not exactly cutting edge, compared to contemporary competitors). As I mentioned above – it’s OK for indoor work, but totally unusable outdoors, particularly in sunlight.

Where can one buy a new Leica lens for $2K? And with a camera attached to it! 24mm and 2.8/f is an excellent combination. It’s perfect for travel and street photography. A faster lens would alter the size of the camera and I frankly don’t see the need for it. The large, quality sensor allows for higher ISOs.

All in all, I’ve very happy – it’s a keeper!

cheers,

john

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.