Doug

Hello, RedDot folk; my first post here…

I have a long history with Pentax gear, including the 6×7 and 67II and a number of accumulated lenses. So I was pretty pleased to acquire an adapter to use those lenses on the Leica S2 after a nice informative chat with David at Dale Photo.

The first lens tried was the 100mm f/4 Macro, and I forgot the advice I saw posted to set the Summarit wide open manually before mounting an adapted lens… I think this was in the context of using the 110mm f/2 Hasselblad lens. Anyway, the camera “thought” the Macro lens was f/6.8 and all the exposures were about 1.5 stops over.

So for a try with the 45mm f/4 I set the Summarit to f/2.8, with pretty decent results, though somewhat underexposed. At this point I figured that setting the Summarit manually to the actual max aperture of the adapted lens was probably the way to go… This worked well for the next use of the 100mm lens.

Over the weekend of the Fourth, I returned from a week in Sedona AZ where I mostly recuperated from a pulled leg muscle and bruised ribs suffered in Las Vegas the week before (where I used an M8). In Sedona’s great scenery I used the S2 with 45mm and 70mm, and spent a few hours at the rim of the Grand Canyon with the 165mm f/4 LS lens.

I wish I’d been up to doing more photography, but the results with the Pentax-67 lenses were excellent. The 45mm showed some red/green edges corrected with a setting of 18 in LR3, plus a little barrel distortion corrected with a 5 on the slider. Very sharp lens. I also detected a hint of barrel distortion in the 70mm, fixed with 2-3 on the slider control. No distortion found with the 100mm and 165mm lenses, but the 165 had red/green edges corrected with a 12 setting on that slider, and that lens may not be quite as sharp as the others; hard to say for sure as it could also be a shaky user. 🙂

I have in mind trying the later 55 and 200, and the 105. Maybe the 55-100 beast. I’m certainly glad to have these additional choices already at hand and usable with the adapter. I am surprised that manipulating the lens’s manual stop-down switch for each shot is so little hassle in practice. And I’m able to mostly get the focus where I want it.

Anyone else working with the Pentax-67 lenses on the S2, or thinking of it? I hope the above might be useful, and I’d love to hear of your experiences too.

Best wishes
    Doug

Pete Walentin

Thanks Doug. This is very interesting. Are you able to post some of the pictures with 100% crop to get a better impression of the results?

I hope your injury from Vegas is not the result of a meeting with a person while doing street who don’t want to get captured. Get well soon.

Pete

David Farkas

Doug;274 wrote:
    The first lens tried was the 100mm f/4 Macro, and I forgot the advice I saw posted to set the Summarit wide open manually before mounting an adapted lens… I think this was in the context of using the 110mm f/2 Hasselblad lens. Anyway, the camera “thought” the Macro lens was f/6.8 and all the exposures were about 1.5 stops over.

So for a try with the 45mm f/4 I set the Summarit to f/2.8, with pretty decent results, though somewhat underexposed. At this point I figured that setting the Summarit manually to the actual max aperture of the adapted lens was probably the way to go… This worked well for the next use of the 100mm lens.

Doug, you always want to have an S lens mounted and set the aperture as close to the maximum aperture of the alternative lens before mounting the P67 adapter/lens. This will allow the S2 to meter properly in any exposure mode (M, S, A, P). Of course, S and P will function like A since the camera has no control over aperture.

I also detected a hint of barrel distortion in the 70mm, fixed with 2-3 on the slider control.

In Lightroom 3.4 there are now lens profiles for the 35, 70 and 120 S lenses. I think you’ll find better results using the profile rather than just the distortion slider. I’ve actually enabled this automatic correction in my default LR preset.

David

Doug

Thanks, Pete… I’m pretty friendly-looking so I don’t seem to stir up unpleasant responses from my willing (at least tacitly) “victims”. No, I overexerted hiking the long LV blocks and pulled a leg muscle and then, not watching where I was going, ran into a column at the Luxor. Dumb, but got to hurting later, and about back to normal now.

I just made a 100% crop of a full-frame TIFF, both shown at ~800 pixels on the long side. The crop is taken from near the center (just left of the large shadow) of the full shot of Bell Rock, at Oak Creek just south of Sedona AZ. The luminance sharpening in LR3 had been set to 50 I think rather than the default 130, and noise reduction to 10 rather than the default 25. There was a final sharpening of the jpegs in GraphicConverter after scaling down, but only just enough to be noticeable. ISO 320, other info in the EXIF if it makes it through… 1/250 at about f/11. Ah, and I should specify this is the Pentax-67 45mm f/4 lens!

Thanks for the clarification on the pre-change lens setting, David; that is what I’d concluded from doing it wrong 😮 For the samples below, I’d set the Summarit to f/2.8 before mounting the 45mm so there was a stop or so underexposure. OK, let’s see if I can attach a couple of pics…

Doug

Here are a couple samples of the Pentax-67 165mm f/4 LS… It doesn’t seem to be as sharp as the others even with the shutter speed up and decent, but then at the Grand Canyon for shots at distance I was mostly just setting the focus a tad closer than infinity. On the first one I was surprised to spot people on the trail on the hill beyond the nearer light-colored rock outcropping. Several visible in this crop, upper left, and there were others further left at the bottom of the steep slope of trail, where it switchbacks.

Doug

I’m on a roll… 😎
    Here’s the Pentax-67 100mm f/4 Macro.
    I ran into an acquaintance named Jim at the local Saturday farmers’ market, looking a little startled while sitting on the curb eating some kind of delicacy. Lens was wide open at f/4.

Then I walked around the corner into a custom car show and found this purple Plymouth

Doug

Finally, a fair attempt with the 70mm Summarit used and processed in the same fashion as the others. This is a view of Sedona AZ, this time with Bell Rock at distant right.

And it’s my custom to get a local haircut while on vacation. Have to document the occasion of course! This is not quite comparable as a test, since the TIFF had been cropped a bit to 7221 x 4478.

Pete Walentin

Hi Doug,

Thanks a lot for the work you did. I do think, keeping in mind the adapter, the lens you use, that the results are quite satisfying. At least they will work out for a good sized print.

When trying to judge those results I always caught myself looking for the “wow” which isn’t something to expect by this combination. Or maybe it is “wow” when approaching this from the other side. And as known it is so hard to judge if you do not use the same setup and the same motive with the same lighting conditions to judge. Especially when it is outdoor where light and heat have massive influence on the outcome of the picture.

I do love the picture of Jim.

Enough of talking.

Cheers,
    Pete

Doug

Belated thanks for the comments, Pete… 🙂

Here’s a pic showing the Pentax 100mm f/4 Macro mounted. (Click for larger view)

Deus_Ex_Mamiya

Hello Doug,

Very nice work – thanks for posting. Good to see that some of the P67 lenses are great performers on MFD systems like the S2.

Doug;274 wrote:
    I mostly recuperated from a pulled leg muscle and bruised ribs suffered in Las Vegas the week before

– sounds like your own personal version of “The Hangover”! 😀

Ray

Doug

Thanks for the comment, Ray… So far, with informal use, I have the impression that the 100mm Macro does the best on the S2. Not too surprising given that it’s a slow macro and one of the final P67 lenses introduced.

The latest 200mm f/4 looks sharper to me than the 165mm f/4… here’s a sample (click for larger):

Doug

And here’s a sample of the latest 55mm f/4 Pentax-67 lens. There were three different 55mm lenses, the earliest an f/3.5 Takumar using 100mm filters (!), and then two 55mm f/4, the first one on the market only a few years. The last one has one fewer element, and has the lens info printed on the beveled front edge of the focusing ring, typical of the latest versions. Click for larger size
    Edit: Forgot to mention that in the full size TIFF I can see an airborne flock of crows above the left side of the Liberty…

antonybphoto

This is a brilliant post and thanks to who started it. The findings have pretty much made me decide to go S2 as soon a s I can dump Nikon gear.

Have a large number of Pentax 67 lenses only missing the 200mm. F4

Question I have is in the field is this camera usable at ISO 320-640 ?

Any update images since the original post ?

Thanks again

Doug

45mm f/4.0 SMC Pentax 67
    I’ll add a few JPEGs at the 100% scale; I didn’t know I could do large files when I posted above. In order of focal length, starting with the 45mm, these two are in Oak Creek AZ just south of Sedona. ISO = 160 Processed with Adobe Lightroom 3.41
    Click to see a larger display, click again to see the full-size image
    http://www.reddotforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1731&d=1355277741&thumb=1&stc=1
    Structural Similarity

http://www.reddotforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1732&d=1355277905&thumb=1&stc=1
    Rock Artist

Attached files

Doug

55mm f/4.0 SMC Pentax 67 (later of the two versions)
    These two JPEGs at 100% scale are in Ellensburg WA 100 mi east of Seattle. ISO = 320 Processed with Adobe Lightroom 3.5
    The old art deco Liberty Theatre was restored and became a Baptist church.
    http://www.reddotforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1734&d=1355279683&thumb=1&stc=1

Second, a spot on the university campus favored for portraits.
    http://www.reddotforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1733&d=1355279553&thumb=1&stc=1

Attached files

Doug

70mm f/2.5 Summarit-S
    For purposes of comparison, as these were processed similarly to the others. These two JPEGs at 100% scale are near Sedona AZ. ISO = 320 for Red+Green, and ISO = 640 for Barber At Work. Processed with Adobe Lightroom 3.41
    Barber At Work http://www.reddotforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1736&d=1355280449&thumb=1&stc=1
    Red+Green http://www.reddotforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1735&d=1355280369&thumb=1&stc=1

Attached files

Doug

100mm f/4.0 SMC Pentax-67 Macro
    Two more JPEGs at the 100% scale; these two are in Ellensburg WA 100 mi east of Seattle. ISO = 160 Processed with Adobe Lightroom 3.41
    Toxic Orange
    Car owner working on the shine says that’s the name of the paint color on this Dodge
    .http://www.reddotforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1737&d=1355281429&thumb=1&stc=1
    MG Grill
    I think this MG roadster is a pre-WWII model, with the chrome wire grid added as a stone guard. Maybe a little diagonal camera shake here…
    .http://www.reddotforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1738&d=1355281585&thumb=1&stc=1

Attached files

Doug

165mm f/4.0 SMC Pentax 67 LS (Leaf Shutter)
    Two more JPEGs at the 100% scale; these two are at the south rim of the Grand Canyon. My impression is that this compact lens is not a sharp as I hoped. ISO = 320 Processed with Adobe Lightroom 3.41
    Swirl
    http://www.reddotforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1739&d=1355282306&thumb=1&stc=1
    The Colorado
    http://www.reddotforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1740&d=1355282429&thumb=1&stc=1

Attached files

Doug

200mm f/4.0 SMC Pentax 67 (Later version of the two)
    Two more JPEGs at the 100% scale; these two are in eastern Washington.
    ISO = 640 Processed with Adobe Lightroom 3.41
    Grass & Sage closeup
    http://www.reddotforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1741&d=1355286464&thumb=1&stc=1
    Rodeo Grounds
    ready for the annual PRCA 4-day rodeo and county fair
    http://www.reddotforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1742&d=1355286640&thumb=1&stc=1

Attached files

Pham Minh Son

I am glad to see the Pentax 67 lens came out of the closet. I have the 75mm shift, 105mm F2.4, 160mm F2.8, and te 400mm F4 lens. I had the 55mm which I sold it and regret. How can you tell which 55mm F4 version looks like and is a better performer? I will attempt to make an adapter and give these lens a chance to see lights again.
    Best Regards
    Son

erlingmm

I have a Mamiya APO 300mm F/4.5 IF on hand at a good price, it is supposed to work with the S2 via the L16025 adapter. Does anyone have experience with this lens on the S2? What will the actual FOV of lens be on the S2, given that it is made for a larger sensor?

David Farkas

erlingmm;4155 wrote: I have a Mamiya APO 300mm F/4.5 IF on hand at a good price, it is supposed to work with the S2 via the L16025 adapter. Does anyone have experience with this lens on the S2? What will the actual FOV of lens be on the S2, given that it is made for a larger sensor?

I haven’t tried this lens on the S2, but a 300mm is a 300mm, regardless of sensor size. Compared to 35mm FF, a 300mm will offer an equivalent FOV of 240mm. Love to see some shots from the lens, if you get a chance.

erlingmm

Ooops, it is a fully electronic lens that won’t work with a mechanical adapter…

erlingmm

David Farkas;4158 wrote: I haven’t tried this lens on the S2, but a 300mm is a 300mm, regardless of sensor size. Compared to 35mm FF, a 300mm will offer an equivalent FOV of 240mm. Love to see some shots from the lens, if you get a chance.

Ooops, it is a fully electronic lens that won’t work with a mechanical adapter…

Doug

165mm f/2.8
    I’ve tried a variety of Pentax 67 lenses on my S2 and posted some results earlier. At last I got out my 165mm f/2.8 and gave it some action. I’m pleased that it’s sharper than my Leaf Shutter 165mm f/4 used at the Grand Canyon. These are processed in LR4, exported as TIFF and converted full-size to JPEG. Default noise and sharpness settings in LR, set 5 for both purple and green fringing, then a small sharpening in GraphicConverter during JPEG conversion. Comments welcome!

rootbeer

David Farkas;4158 wrote: I haven’t tried this lens on the S2, but a 300mm is a 300mm, regardless of sensor size. Compared to 35mm FF, a 300mm will offer an equivalent FOV of 240mm. Love to see some shots from the lens, if you get a chance.

I just received a 300 F4 today. A couple of quick shots at the office. F11, ISO 320 1/1000

Our Flag flying Free. S2, Pentax 300mm-4.jpg by rootbeer2004, on Flickr

Our Flag flying Free. S2, Pentax 300mm.jpg by rootbeer2004, on Flickr

Jim. I’m just learning this camera and having a blast doing it.

Pete Walentin

rootbeer;4415 wrote: I just received a 300 F4 today. A couple of quick shots at the office. F11, ISO 320 1/1000

That looks pretty nice. I like the color rendition. But I’m going to wait until Leica will release the S350. 😀

Jason Holiday

:)thanks for posting. very nice..I am thinking to get the P67 lenses..

Jack MacD

David
    Your answer on the S vs S2 thread reminded me that I still have that Pentax 6×7 400 mm with some strange outer flanges that won’t fit your adaptor. If I sent you the 400 and the body, perhaps your machinist can invent an adaptor that can do the job. My alternative is to buy a Contax 350 used and a Contax to S adaptor, or wait for the eventual Leica 350S for $$$$$.
    Are you up for the assignment?

David Farkas

Jack MacD;6140 wrote: David
    Your answer on the S vs S2 thread reminded me that I still have that Pentax 6×7 400 mm with some strange outer flanges that won’t fit your adaptor. If I sent you the 400 and the body, perhaps your machinist can invent an adaptor that can do the job. My alternative is to buy a Contax 350 used and a Contax to S adaptor, or wait for the eventual Leica 350S for $$$$$.
    Are you up for the assignment?

Jack,

You might be better off with the Contax 350mm APO Tele-Tessar. It’s got AF and auto aperture in addition to being a stellar performer optically. If you know where to find one, I’d jump on it and sell the Pentax.

When and if Leica rolls out their super-tele S lens, the Contax lens will hold its value if you wish to go for the Leica S solution.

Just my 2c.

Jack MacD

David,

There are no Contax 350mm for sale that I can find.
    But according to this blog from Sept. 2008 the Leica S 350 will be available years ago.
    I will wait.
    Interesting that the list was pretty accurate on what was coming, just not when. The 45mm S was never promised.
    ———————————————————-
    Photokina 2008: Leica VIP Launch Event for S2
    by David Farkas on 09-22-2008 at 07:13 PM

Summarit-S 70mm f/2.5 CS ASPH
    Summarit-S 35mm f/2.5 CS ASPH
    APO-Macro-Summarit-S 120mm f/2.5 CS
    APO-Elmar-S 180mm f/3.5 CS

These four lenses will be the first to launch, simultaneously with the camera. The next grouping of lenses will come a few months later.
    Elmarit-S 24mm f/2.8 ASPH
    APO-Tele-Elmar-S 350mm f/3.5
    Vario-Elmar-S 30-90mm f/3.5 ASPH
    Elmar-S 30mm f/3.5 Tilt-Shift
    Elmarit-S 100mm f/3.5 ASPH

David Farkas

Jack MacD;6147 wrote: David,

There are no Contax 350mm for sale that I can find.
    But according to this blog from Sept. 2008 the Leica S 350 will be available years ago.
    I will wait.
    Interesting that the list was pretty accurate on what was coming, just not when. The 45mm S was never promised.
    ———————————————————-
    Photokina 2008: Leica VIP Launch Event for S2
    by David Farkas on 09-22-2008 at 07:13 PM

Summarit-S 70mm f/2.5 CS ASPH
    Summarit-S 35mm f/2.5 CS ASPH
    APO-Macro-Summarit-S 120mm f/2.5 CS
    APO-Elmar-S 180mm f/3.5 CS

These four lenses will be the first to launch, simultaneously with the camera. The next grouping of lenses will come a few months later.
    Elmarit-S 24mm f/2.8 ASPH
    APO-Tele-Elmar-S 350mm f/3.5
    Vario-Elmar-S 30-90mm f/3.5 ASPH
    Elmar-S 30mm f/3.5 Tilt-Shift
    Elmarit-S 100mm f/3.5 ASPH

And…. the 24mm turned out to be an f/3.5, the 30-90mm an f/3.5-5.6, the 30mm T/S ended up being a 30mm f/2.8 non-T/S and a 120mm T/S, and there is no 100mm. Pretty accurate on the first four, at least. :rolleyes:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.