Roger

I know to extract the most out of the S2 that a heavy tripod is recommended. Looking at the latest article on Luminous Landscape and David s post on the Telyt conversion …both seem to be using a GITZO 5 series . I have one but use it with a Gimbel head for long lenses .

The series 5 GITZO is as solid as I ve seen but wow …..will I really drag this baby on a shooting trip that includes air travel? I also have a 3 series GITZO which is really quite portable .

What combinations are the other S2 owners using and what are they recommending ? What head are you using and have you sprung for the CUBE?

David Farkas

Roger;738 wrote: I know to extract the most out of the S2 that a heavy tripod is recommended. Looking at the latest article on Luminous Landscape and David s post on the Telyt conversion …both seem to be using a GITZO 5 series . I have one but use it with a Gimbel head for long lenses .

The series 5 GITZO is as solid as I ve seen but wow …..will I really drag this baby on a shooting trip that includes air travel? I also have a 3 series GITZO which is really quite portable .

What combinations are the other S2 owners using and what are they recommending ? What head are you using and have you sprung for the CUBE?

Roger,

I used the Gitzo 5 Series CF Systematic just because of the size and weight of the 400mm APO-Telyt + S2 combo (around 12 lbs) and my desire to cancel out any possible vibrations. I did take it in the field with me for testing locally, but not sure I’d want to do any airline travel with it.

For almost all of my shooting with the S2 and S lenses, I use the Gitzo GT3541XLS with a Gitzo GH3780 head. I’ve also recently adopted the RRS L-bracket and paired it with a RRS B2 LLR II quick release clamp. I use this either right on top of the Gitzo head or also use a Gitzo GS3750D panning adapter in between the two.

The GT3541 extends to 78″ tall without a column, folds down to 27″ and can still get as low as 4″ off the ground. The tripod will hold up to 40 lbs and only weighs 4.3 lbs. Relatively portable for travel and still an extremely stable and flexible platform.

Roger

Thanks David . The series 3 size with a good ball head (RRS,ARCA etc) seems like the right size but I was reacting to the article on LL where the author swears we will be giving away some necessary stability.

David Farkas

Roger;740 wrote: Thanks David . The series 3 size with a good ball head (RRS,ARCA etc) seems like the right size but I was reacting to the article on LL where the author swears we will be giving away some necessary stability.

Maybe with a 645DF. 😀 The S2 has an extremely well-dampened mirror and an almost-vibration-free shutter.

I’ve used the S2 on a 1-series GT1541 (but no wind), a 2-series GT2541 and even a Leica table-top tripod at a variety of shutter speeds from 32 seconds to 1/500th. The resulting images are all sharp. I chose the GT3541XLS because it is even more stable than the much smaller ones, has almost imperceptible torsion flex and a much better height range.

This image was shot with a GT2541 and GH2780 head. 2 sec self timer. No cable release. On sand, with a stiff breeze and sea spray. It’s sharp.

Here’s one from the S2 on the Leica table-top tripod and Leica ball head, propped on a dock pylon:

Don’t get me wrong. For the New England trip where 90%+ of my work will be on a tripod, I will be donning the GT3541XLS. These other examples were from predominantly walk-around travel shoots where 90% of my work was hand-held and with a 70mm. In these cases I prefer a small tripod that I can carry with me if needed, but I am not depending on for the overall success of the shoot. I also didn’t need to support the extra weight and and narrower angle of view of the 120 or 180. This is another factor to consider.

Jack MacD

Roger,
    I suggest you do a little testing yourself with the tripods and lenses you have. Shoot with your 5 vs the 3 and see if for your S2 lenses you notice any difference.
    Recall that David has shot time exposures with truely compact tripods.
    I have a series 2 Gitzo which does fit in carry on luggage. I have seen no gains using a heavier tripod with my 120mm or certainly a 35mm lens. but if I were shooting a 400mm lens I would want something much heavier and drag out my old medal Bogen. I would not be hiking with that, but I don’t have a 350mm or 400mm.

Arif

Roger,
    I am using a Gitzo 3 series (3541LS) and using the Cube when at home and the RRS BH-55 when traveling and both have worked well including some 32+ sec shots. It does seem that the S2 is well dampened.
    Best regards,
    Arif

Bobby Lee

Hi all,
    Just asking, has anyone tried using S2 / 180mm combination on a tripod focusing at infinity and experienced mirror vibration? With both mirror locked and unlocked!
    Bobby

Roger

Seems like the consensus is around a Gitzo series 3 ..just as a standard size for the S2 .

I was somewhat surprised by the LL article on “the best tripod” where the author commented on the need for a 5 series equivalent for MF .

Pete Walentin

I am using a Gitzo GT3541LS with a BH-55 PRO Ballhead. It fits in every suitcase, it is light enough to carry around attached to a backpack and it is so damn flexible in the field.

Before my S2 days I used it with a Canon 1DMKIV and an EF 800mm 5.6 which worked perfectly. So I never spent a thought that this combination does not work with the S2.

fotografz

One experiential comment I can add is that I’m not a fan of the Lever type release on the RRS QR clamp … nor are a number of other long time MFD users.

It can be to easily snagged and opened, and once adjusted for a tight grip on the RSS camera plates, is not always tight with other QR ARCA type plates, so it has to be adjusted. The big knob type is my preference.

-Marc

Roger

Helpful insights ..looks like the BH55 has been located so I am temporarily in good shape .

Stuart Richardson

I am using a really right stuff TVC-33 and the BH-55. No complaints at all. That said, I tend to leave it at the studio and bring a gitzo 2 series and bh-40 unless it is a serious outing. I did some long exposures of the aurora from my balcony as a test, and they came out quite sharp, even with the 2 series. I have not tested extensively though. The TVC-33 is as solid a tripod as I have ever had…I don’t think I will find anything better that is not so heavy and bulky as to make it impractical to tote around.

Roger

The BH55 and my series 2 have been located in an abandoned sports car in Florida …my garage ! I used this combination with the D3X and had good results at the beach . Was testing it with the S2 this spring and it seemed fine. Plus its very portable .

I do believe that Mark Dubovoy is probably right in recommending more stable alternative as our equipment increases in MP and a heavier tripod seems appropriate . Doubt that I will use my series 5 which is a beast and dedicated to the gimbel head and my 600/4 nikkor.

Being basically a M street shooter no one that knows me thinks I am patient enough to use the CUBE . 😀

Jack MacD

Roger,
    After telling you to do a test, I decided I should also. Especially after David expressed a bit of surprise that I would be going on his fall trip with such a light tripod as the Gitzo#2
    Maybe if I had a 180mm I would go for the #3.

I merely did an 8 second test shot of a star on a very heavy tripod that I would never hike with followed by the same shot with the Gitzo #2, also shot with a two second delay that flips the mirror first , and then a third shot on the #2 with no two second delay, merely pressing the shutter release directly. This is with a 120mm. The three insert enlargements are 6 times the full field shot that is the background. Without using the 2 second delay in the third shot, I can see a slight very slight wiggle in the middle of the tiny star trails.

A tribute to the damping of the S2, the differences are hard to detect. I feel I am safe with the #2 when using the 2 second delay.
    Jack

Attached files

Jack MacD

Of course there is a difference in height with a larger than #2 tripod which may make a difference in getting the angle one wishes.

David Farkas

Jack MacD;775 wrote: Roger,
    After telling you to do a test, I decided I should also. Especially after David expressed a bit of surprise that I would be going on his fall trip with such a light tripod as the Gitzo#2
    Maybe if I had a 180mm I would go for the #3.

I merely did an 8 second test shot of a star on a very heavy tripod that I would never hike with followed by the same shot with the Gitzo #2, also shot with a two second delay that flips the mirror first , and then a third shot on the #2 with no two second delay, merely pressing the shutter release directly. This is with a 120mm. The three insert enlargements are 6 times the full field shot that is the background. Without using the 2 second delay in the third shot, I can see a slight very slight wiggle in the middle of the tiny star trails.

A tribute to the damping of the S2, the differences are hard to detect. I feel I am safe with the #2 when using the 2 second delay.
    Jack

Interesting test, Jack. Thanks for taking the time to carry it out and share the results.

You may want to see what happens at around 1/8th – 1/30th. This range tends to be the “danger zone” for mirror/shutter vibration (not just in the S2, but in SLR cameras in general). With a very long exposure of 8 seconds, any initial movement represents such a small fraction of the overall exposure time. Of course, when photographing stars, too long an exposure and you get trails (which is great it that is the intention, just not as good for testing camera movement).

Jack MacD

I will try the test at those speeds tonight if it is clear. The star trails in a way help seeing the movement as one is observing any deviation from a straight line. Unless the camera motion happens to be on the same axis as the star movement. I’ll see.

Cam Garner

I have used the Gitzo GT3541XLS and the RRS TVC-33 both with the RRS BH-55. I have been satisfied with both configurations and haven’t seen any real difference. Personally, I would not use a smaller tripod – the difference in size and weight is not a big deal to me. I use a lever release on the BH-55 and prefer that to the knob. I have used the lever for years and on several different camera systems and it works well for me. I do not like the vertical position on the RRS L bracket as the use with the cable release is not well thought out.

Jack MacD

In my decision is the fact that I have already owned the #2 since before S2
    and spending another $800+ for the #3 isn’t motivating. On David’s trip I may learn otherwise. If I were starting fresh, I would buy the #3.

Jack MacD

A report back from the Fall trip:
    First, a quote from David Farkas, “I have already checked out all the alternatives with exhaustive testing. I know that what I end up with is expensive, but if you follow my recommendations you will have saved money skipping the intermediate steps on your quest for what works best for you.” I had to laugh, but he is correct.

David recommended the really right stuff quick release system. I got it before the trip and was very pleased. Interestingly everybody had this mount, 90% with the lever release closure rather than screw tightening closure. It made for fast borrowing of others tripods too. It is the first quick release system that gave me confidence that there would be no accidental unwelcome release.

As you can see from this thread, David was recommending a Gitzo 3 series. In our van we had four tripods, all Gitzo, but the range included a #1, #2,#3, and #5. I had the #2 and it worked fine, but when I borrowed Joe’s #3, I found that the extra height was a plus for me. However I am 6’4″. The #5 would only be necessary if one were shooting with a 400mm lens that weighed a lot. Well, Mark was. The #1 was OK, but height limited. My #2 fit in my carry-on luggage perfectly with the ball head removed, and I will be willing to take it on casual trips, but the #3 can probably be carry-on too, if the top peeks out of my back pack.

Several people had Really Right Stuff Ball heads, which worked quite well. You can see two versions of it in the tripod photo from the back of the van. After trying them versus David’s Gitzo ball head, shown in the photo, I decided I preferred the Gitzo, as long as it had the panorama head attached. My old Gitzo off-center head was a bit harder to use in comparison to more modern equipment. A bit too light for an S2, was wonderful for my M and I will move it to my #1. I will duplicate David’s set up going forward, including the #3 tripod. And yes Josh, I will buy it from Dale.

As you can see from the photo, David prefers using the head sideways for vertical shots rather than the Really Right Stuff L bracket. He determined in his testing that the L bracket was not stiff enough for rigid support of the 180mm. I saw his point, but I hoped it was not as big a problem for my 120mm. Otherwise the L bracket is wonderful for the 35mm. It allows for near instantaneous switching from horizontal to vertical.

Finally, as to when to use a tripod: I am not one who feels a tripod is necessary for all landscape shots. But when one is shooting in the dusk, you just can’t get the shot without one. The dusk shot shown elsewhere could not have been done without one. And of course, for rushing water to be captured with the “cotton” effect, that can’t be done hand held.

Jack

http://www.dalephotoanddigital.com/_e/Ball_Heads/product/719821290032/Gitzo_GH3780_Series_3_Center_Ball_Head.htm

http://www.dalephotoanddigital.com/_e/dept/05-002-009/Panoramic_Heads.htm

http://www.dalephotoanddigital.com/_e/Systematic/product/719821289456/Gitzo_GT3541XLS_Series_3_Carbon_6X_Systematic_XL_Tripod_4_Section_w_G_Lock.htm

Attached files

jrv

The Markins Quickshoe has a useful safety feature:

That’s a spring-loaded pin so that if you have a flat-bottom plate you can still use that shoe. But the Really Right Stuff L brackets and others have hollowed-out areas and the pin acts as a safety stop in case the shoe works a little loose…

The RRS S2 L bracket has a problem with the Markins 60mm shoe: the L bracket dovetails are small and the safety pin winds up *outside* the dovetail when the camera is in the on-axis centered spot of the quickshoe. Markins has a 48mm shoe but I’m not sure if the pin if moved close enough to the center to eliminate this issue.

Roger

Thanks for all the insights and testing. I ended up with a Gitzo 3541L and i think thats the right size for the S2 . The RRS BH55 and the lever release and the RRS L bracket. Nothing original. Could not get the RRS 34 L in time for my trip.

Funny though I was shooting at Maroon Bells in Aspen. The most photographed location in Colorado. Pitch black and 65 photographers set up in the dark. Sun comes up and the guy next to me had the new RRS 34 L ….looks very nice similar in size to the Gitzo 3 series but rated close to the 5. Using the same BH 55 head.

Jack that test looks like one done for LFI years winner was the wood tripod. Thanks again for all the insights.

woodyspedden

fotografz;757 wrote: One experiential comment I can add is that I’m not a fan of the Lever type release on the RRS QR clamp … nor are a number of other long time MFD users.

It can be to easily snagged and opened, and once adjusted for a tight grip on the RSS camera plates, is not always tight with other QR ARCA type plates, so it has to be adjusted. The big knob type is my preference.

-Marc

Ditto!

Woody Spedden

Ornello

Roger;738 wrote: I know to extract the most out of the S2 that a heavy tripod is recommended. Looking at the latest article on Luminous Landscape and David s post on the Telyt conversion …both seem to be using a GITZO 5 series . I have one but use it with a Gimbel head for long lenses .

Where do you get the idea that a tripod is necessary for a camera such as the S2?

David Farkas

Ornello;2081 wrote: Where do you get the idea that a tripod is necessary for a camera such as the S2?

While I certainly use my S2 hand-held most of the time, a tripod is an essential tool for my photography (and most photographers). It’s necessary when using ND filters, shooting stopped down for maximum depth of field, shooting night scenes, etc. Basically, if you’re going to shoot a 16 sec exposure, you better have a pretty good tripod. 🙂

RVB

Arca Swiss cube with Arca Swiss universal L plate on a RRS verso tripod or a Gitzo 5 series tripod is hard to beat…

Jack MacD

There is a $200 rebate offered ending Aug 31 on large Gitzo tripods.

Email Josh at Dale and they will get you the documentation and the tripod. Thanks Josh.

If you read earlier in this thread, you will have seen me saying I don’t want to spend $800 on a 3 series when I already had a 2 series.
    But I now stand corrected. The price is actually $899 for a GT3541 four section. And with the rebate, I would be spending $699. My old 2 series doesn’t have the locked leg tighteners, and I was tired of that issue. Furthermore, while the collapsed size of the series 3 is within inches of the collapsed length of the series 2 as seen in the photo, an inch and a half over four sections adds to a higher tripod that I appreciated when I was testing out Mark’s 3 series in New England. I am 6′ 4″
    I deferred gratification for 18 months on this purchase, and the rebate made the difference. Now, any one want a 2 series for a bargain price?

Attached files

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.