PebblePlace

Just curious, has Leica ever posted anything about the size and weight for the 30-90 zoom? I’m hoping the slower aperture translates into a lighter lens in the 2 pound range. Anyways, just curious if anybody has seen any details about the lens. Thanks.

David Farkas

PebblePlace;3031 wrote: Just curious, has Leica ever posted anything about the size and weight for the 30-90 zoom? I’m hoping the slower aperture translates into a lighter lens in the 2 pound range. Anyways, just curious if anybody has seen any details about the lens. Thanks.

I’ve been told that the 30-90mm is roughly the same size and weight as the 35mm f/2.5, perhaps a little heavier.

PebblePlace

Thank you for the info. Any word on price and general availability yet?

David Farkas

PebblePlace;3037 wrote: Thank you for the info. Any word on price and general availability yet?

No idea on price, but I’m expecting Leica to show the lens along with the 24mm f/3.5 at Photokina in two weeks. We’ll have a all the details then…. and yes, I will be attending and reporting.

Alex AR

Today I got my S together with the 30-90. Although already used to a Nikon D4, I have to say that the weight of the 30-90 is something different…

I will post a few pictures as soon as I had the time (and wheather :p) to do a few proper ones.

RVB

According to leica technical data the 35mm is approx. 930 / 1080 g (without / with central shutter) and the 30-90 is approx. 1275 / 1345 g
    I have an S30mm here so i weighed it ..

Attached files

Josh Lehrer

If the 30-90mm lenses are shipping in Europe that’s great news! Usually means the USA is not far behind. I’m definitely curious to hear your thoughts about the lens Alex. I have used the pre-production version and can attest to the weight, although the weight of the S system has never bothered me as I previously used a large Canon SLR with a 2.8 zoom lens that was heavier.

Alex AR

As I thought speed is more important than posting “nice” pictures: Here is one of the first pictures taken by me with the “new S” and the 30-90. Thought people will be interested in noise behavior. ISO 1600, 1/30s, f5.6@90mm, just anything I found on my desk after sticking the lense for the first time to the body… no editing, nothing, just the lense profiles from Leica. Of course, awful subject, 1/30s too slow (actually wanted to see how it behaves…).

Second picture is the same as first, just ran through Dfine 2.0. Never used it before for my D4, but I guess this will become more handy now…

Sorry for only posting JPGs, but need to figure out how to post DNGs in this forum. Does this work at all?

If time and weather permits, I will post more useful pictures next time, sorry.:o

Attached files

RVB

Alex AR;4003 wrote: As I thought speed is more important than posting “nice” pictures: Here is one of the first pictures taken by me with the “new S” and the 30-90. Thought people will be interested in noise behavior. ISO 1600, 1/30s, f5.6@90mm, just anything I found on my desk after sticking the lense for the first time to the body… no editing, nothing, just the lense profiles from Leica. Of course, awful subject, 1/30s too slow (actually wanted to see how it behaves…).

Second picture is the same as first, just ran through Dfine 2.0. Never used it before for my D4, but I guess this will become more handy now…

Sorry for only posting JPGs, but need to figure out how to post DNGs in this forum. Does this work at all?

If time and weather permits, I will post more useful pictures next time, sorry.:o

Use a service like yousend it, dropbox or sugar sync to share DNG files..

Mark Gowin

Alex, thank you for sharing the images. ISO 1600 looks pretty good to me and cleans up nicely if desired. I look forward to seeing more images from the 30-90mm. I had a chance to try a prototype at PhotoPlus and I was impressed with the image quality and out of focus rendering of the few test shots I was able to get.

Alex AR

Here is the DNG to the “Hi-Liter” picture. Hope it works.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/uupt0dxfo5qqp04/Leica%20S%2030-90%20Test-1000008.DNG

RVB

Alex AR;4008 wrote: Here is the DNG to the “Hi-Liter” picture. Hope it works.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/uupt0dxfo5qqp04/Leica%20S%2030-90%20Test-1000008.DNG

That works like a charm Alex,the file was downloaded in 2 seconds,as for the file itself it’s very good for iso1600,a fine film like grain.. and Like the S2 the files don’t need much sharpening..

Arif

Thank you very much Alex. The file does look quite good and downsizing will help even more so quite workable. Please continue to advise of how you are finding the new S.
    Have a very happy holiday season,
    Arif

RVB

Arif;4010 wrote: Thank you very much Alex. The file does look quite good and downsizing will help even more so quite workable. Please continue to advise of how you are finding the new S.
    Have a very happy holiday season,
    Arif

Arif,I just had a look at your website,it’s really good.I love the Samurai shot’s..I am a big Mifune and Nakadai fan…

Rob

Arif

RVB;4019 wrote: Arif,I just had a look at your website,it’s really good.I love the Samurai shot’s..I am a big Mifune and Nakadai fan…

Rob

Thank you very much Rob for taking the time to visit. Great to meet another Mifune and Nakadai fan. Yabusame is thrilling to watch in person and the tension just goes higher and higher as the archer loads, shoots, loads, shoots, and loads again to shoot while riding full speed. Hope you can visit Japan some time and watch in person (April/September being the big events at the festivals). Please let me knwo and I would be happy to shoot with you.
    Have a very Happy and prosperous New Year,
    Arif

RVB

Arif;4044 wrote: Thank you very much Rob for taking the time to visit. Great to meet another Mifune and Nakadai fan. Yabusame is thrilling to watch in person and the tension just goes higher and higher as the archer loads, shoots, loads, shoots, and loads again to shoot while riding full speed. Hope you can visit Japan some time and watch in person (April/September being the big events at the festivals). Please let me knwo and I would be happy to shoot with you.
    Have a very Happy and prosperous New Year,
    Arif

Arif,i would love to come to Japan,I have a few medical issue’s I need to resolve after that I would love to visit,18 months ago I ordered a Katana,I just received an email last week telling me it will go into production in 10 weeks and will be ready in sept/oct 😉

best

Rob

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.