Josh Lehrer

I spent some time in Miami Beach last night, with a few cameras including the new S. I was curious how it would perform in a situation I would typically use the M9 in.

Leica S, 70mm, 1/180 at f/2.5, ISO1600

Leica S, 70mm, 1/180 at f/4.0, ISO400

Leica S, 70mm, 1/60 at f/2.5, ISO1600

Alex AR

The “readiness of the S for M9 type situations” was also one of my biggest concerns, but I have to say that it is performing better than anticipated.

Even at ISO 1600 one should not get scared off by the view at the rear screen. In reality the file looks much better than the screen suggests.

But certainly no replacement for a M9/Noctilux combo, though 🙂

Josh Lehrer

Agreed…definitely don’t judge the high-ISO results of the S based on the LCD preview…it looks MUCH better when uploaded to a computer. I am working on getting some base settings for high ISO images on the S so I can make some presets. The S files can take a lot more sharpening and noise reduction as well. I am close to getting the perfect balance.

Joe Colson

Having used an M9, while the S is not as compact and unobtrusive, the image quality at ISO 1600 is comparable, if not better. This was taken today using + 0.5 EV as Josh recommended. Handheld, auto WB, straight from the camera (no sharpending or noise reduction).

Josh Lehrer

Very nice Joe! I am glad you were able to make use of the +0.5 EV technique. While the S puts out a great file from the camera, there is a lot of “potential” in the files that can be brought out with a combination of tone adjustment, sharpening, and noise reduction (for higher ISOs) within Lightroom 4. I have found that the S images can take considerably more adjustment than the S2, as such I am working on some new presets. I would be happy to send you (or anyone else interested) some beta samples of my presets if you like!

ddanois

Congrats on the new S Joe! Glad to see you continuing the tradition.

Happy New Year!!!

constable

Josh Lehrer;4043 wrote: Very nice Joe! I am glad you were able to make use of the +0.5 EV technique. While the S puts out a great file from the camera, there is a lot of “potential” in the files that can be brought out with a combination of tone adjustment, sharpening, and noise reduction (for higher ISOs) within Lightroom 4. I have found that the S images can take considerably more adjustment than the S2, as such I am working on some new presets. I would be happy to send you (or anyone else interested) some beta samples of my presets if you like!

Hi Josh

Happy New Year. I’d be happy to give your LR4 presers a shakedown.

Cheers

Ed

Mark Gowin

Very nice image Joe. Congrats on getting the new S. I have seen your work on getDPI with other cameras in the past. You will do well with the S. I look forward to seeing more.

Josh, please keep your thoughts and discoveries about the new S coming – even if it is a bit frustrating that I don’t have one (yet).

Paratom

yes.please..please…more ISO 1600 images and thoughts.
    with the S2 I found 640 ok, 1250 sometimes usable, often not.
    So how much better is the new S???

Josh Lehrer

I will definitely be posting more ISO1600 samples as I use the camera more. To be honest, I had no trouble using the S2 at ISO1250. As long as you are careful not to under-expose the images were very usable, especially with a bit of processing. If I look through my database of S2 images, I would say 95% are at ISO320 or lower. When I work in low light, I switch to the M9 or the M Monochrom, with a Noctilux or a 35 lux.

Paratom

Josh Lehrer;4049 wrote: I will definitely be posting more ISO1600 samples as I use the camera more. To be honest, I had no trouble using the S2 at ISO1250. As long as you are careful not to under-expose the images were very usable, especially with a bit of processing. If I look through my database of S2 images, I would say 95% are at ISO320 or lower. When I work in low light, I switch to the M9 or the M Monochrom, with a Noctilux or a 35 lux.

That is the point I am interested in – has the S improved ISO so much that one would now use the S more often even in low light vs a M9 (or a ff cmos DSLR) without sacrificing IQ?
    So for me the question comes down: Does it make sense to update my S2 to the S or should I just save the money and use my Canon DSLR when the light gets low.
    Besides low light I would see more flexibility for stopped down hand holded images with improved high ISO. I like shallow DOF but not allways. I want to choose the f-stop based on my DOF needs and not dictated by the light/camera.

Josh Lehrer

Here are links to some early versions of my Lightroom 4 Leica S presets, one for each ISO:

Dale_LR4_S_800_V1.lrtemplate
    Dale_LR4_S_100_V1.lrtemplate
    Dale_LR4_S_400_V1.lrtemplate
    Dale_LR4_S_200_V1.lrtemplate
    Dale_LR4_S_1600_V1.lrtemplate

I am open to all suggestions of course so please download them and try them out. I haven’t done any color calibration yet so these presets are designed to optimize sharpening, noise reduction, and tonality.

constable

Josh Lehrer;4053 wrote: Here are links to some early versions of my Lightroom 4 Leica S presets, one for each ISO:

Dale_LR4_S_800_V1.lrtemplate
    Dale_LR4_S_100_V1.lrtemplate
    Dale_LR4_S_400_V1.lrtemplate
    Dale_LR4_S_200_V1.lrtemplate
    Dale_LR4_S_1600_V1.lrtemplate

I am open to all suggestions of course so please download them and try them out. I haven’t done any color calibration yet so these presets are designed to optimize sharpening, noise reduction, and tonality.

Thanks for posting these. Will try them as soon as we get somerhing other than rain!

Ed

ddanois

Hi Joe,

Do you find any difference in the EV from the S2 to the new S? I found that my S2 tended to underexpose by -1/3 or so, and my new S camera has been more accurate on exposure.

Are you finding that you need to push all shots by +0.5 EV on your S?

Thanks,
    Derek

Joe Colson;4040 wrote: Having used an M9, while the S is not as compact and unobtrusive, the image quality at ISO 1600 is comparable, if not better. This was taken today using + 0.5 EV as Josh recommended. Handheld, auto WB, straight from the camera (no sharpending or noise reduction).

Joe Colson

ddanois;4088 wrote: Hi Joe,

Do you find any difference in the EV from the S2 to the new S? I found that my S2 tended to underexpose by -1/3 or so, and my new S camera has been more accurate on exposure.

Are you finding that you need to push all shots by +0.5 EV on your S?

Thanks,
    Derek

Derek,

The S exposure seems to be more accurate than the S2, especially at base ISO. I’ve used Josh’s recommendation of +0.5 EV primarily at higher ISOs (800 and 1600). I’ve also found that, like the Nikon, the histogram and highlights warnings on the rear LCD are not indicative of the dynamic range of the raw file. The dynamic range of the S is outstanding and there’s no downside to ETTR.

Joe

ddanois

Thanks Joe. I shot with the S all day today and I agree that the exposure is more accurate. Not sure if this is truly a functional enhancement or wishful thinking 🙂

Either way, it’s a fantastic body and the new features just make it more of a pleasure to use.

Enjoy!

zoomstop

Folks, took the new S for a test drive today. It has the same sensor as my existing S2-P, just a bit faster from a processing perspective, New menu system with a joystick for when you are viewing images, you can pan around. Additionally is has a built in GPS and a slightly different skin or finish (But smother the the S2). The dropped the Safire glass and added Gorilla glass on the monitor. Thats it, will be around $22K.

Also, i did pick up my new 70mm CS glass. The trading process worked seamlessly, Printed the form, took it in to my dealer, they traded it in plus $1K.

A few Pix.

Testing the New Lecia S by David Miskinyar, on Flickr

RVB

zoomstop;4151 wrote: Folks, took the new S for a test drive today. It has the same sensor as my existing S2-P, just a bit faster from a processing perspective, New menu system with a joystick for when you are viewing images, you can pan around. Additionally is has a built in GPS and a slightly different skin or finish (But smother the the S2). The dropped the Safire glass and added Gorilla glass on the monitor. Thats it, will be around $22K.

Also, i did pick up my new 70mm CS glass. The trading process worked seamlessly, Printed the form, took it in to my dealer, they traded it in plus $1K.

A few Pix.

Nice images.. lovely clarity.. and nice tonality

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.