Discussion Forum Leica S System S2 Feedback requested from those with the microprism focusing screen
    Mark Gowin

I was very excited when I saw the microprism focusing screen in the S2 on the New England Foliage photo trip last fall. I planned to get one as soon as they became available. Things happen and I have yet to purchase the microprism screen. I thought it might be a good idea to ask how others that have been using it for a while like it.

I already know it is excellent for focusing on subjects in the center of the frame or focus and re-composing. However, I am curious if it is at good for manual focusing in outer areas as the stock focusing screen. I ask because I sometimes compose the image with the camera mounted on a tripod and normally the point I want to focus on is not in the center so I manual focus. The stock screen works pretty well for this. My recollection is that the outer areas of microprism screen are the same as the stock screen, but can’t remember for sure. What do y’all think?

Al Tanabe

Mark,
    Yes, the screen surrounding the micro prism and split circle appears to be the same as the standard screen. The split screen really does come in handy for focus confirmation at infinity though. Helps with focus confirmation with the wides at infinity as well. Although AF does work, it is not perfect all of the time. Also it is great for use with manual focus glass.

-Al

Mark Gowin

Thanks Al, that is what I wanted to hear.

ciracrowell

LOVE the micro-focus screen. It makes the S2 a different camera by taking unnerving guesswork out of manual focus. Added plus… it makes the S2 handle like a classic Leica SL2. It’s a must-have accessory. 😮

Mark Gowin

Thank you for the feedback. I received the screen yesterday from Dale Photo and look forward to installing and using it today.

Paratom

I also use the split screen. I do like it however when shooting wide open with such high resolution the AF seems still more accurate than my eyes. However if there are subjects which are difficult for AF the split screen is nice.
    I know many would disagree but besides my Nikons the S2 is the most accurate autofocusing camera I have used long time.
    Now with the split screen it is even better – great AF and also great MF when needed.
    On the other sie I found manual focus with the standard screen pretty good too.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.