Rolophoto

Thanks for looking.

Gary

Attached files

Mark Gowin

This image has a erie feeling to it. I like it.

Alex AR

Wow! Like it. Where did you take it?

Rolophoto

Alex AR;4216 wrote: Wow! Like it. Where did you take it?

Alex, I took it on Friday afternoon at the Fiddlers Ferry Power Station at Widnes in the UK.

It was a shot from the first time out with my new camera; that is apart from a wedding I shot with it.

Thanks Mark.

Kurt Kamka

Awesome shot, Gary. How are you liking the S2 experience so far?

Doug

Rolophoto;4217 wrote: Alex, I took it on Friday afternoon at the Fiddlers Ferry Power Station at Widnes in the UK.

I had wondered how the “Fiddlers” came to be in your title! A powerful photo…

Rolophoto

Kurt Kamka;4218 wrote: Awesome shot, Gary. How are you liking the S2 experience so far?

Interesting, Kurt.

The wedding shoot was a baptism of fire ! I’d traded my M9-Ps to fund it so I had little alternative than to jump in the deep end with the S2. F2.5 and 1/12s was not best suited to the low light winter’s day. On top of that, i wasnt aware that the Firmware I had installed at the time gave Shutter Priority a mind of its own. Arrrgh !

I own the 35mm and borrowed a 70mm and they performed exceptionally well. AF is a bit slow for candid work, but very precise. I fitted the microprism viewfinder which is tremendous, but no substitute for AF for spontaneous shooting. I’d like a small ‘pancake’ lens to reduce the size of my ‘take everywhere’ kit and for street shooting.

I’m perfectly comfortable with body the weight of the body, but 70mm apart, the S lenses are bulky. A tiny S 45mm would be wonderful for me and I’d only need one digital camera then. It’s quite amazing to me how affordable the S2 is when it knocks out an M9 system..

For tripod work, my Hasselblad V lenses are more than adequate for the time being, especially as dense filters require manual focus anyway.

I’m looking forward to the coming months.

Gary
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rolophoto/

Jack MacD

I went to your site and was well rewarded with the work you have there.

Glad to see another excellent photographer is using the S tool.

Kurt Kamka

Gary, stay with it as it takes a little time to fully integrate any new system into your work style. It’s certainly not perfect, but the resulting images are hard to resist. I think that you are quite right about needing a small pancake type of lens for street shooting. For a while I gravitated between attaching the Mamiya 80/1.9 and Hasselblad 110/2 for such work. Neither is a perfect solution but did provide a smaller profile. Although the large viewfinder is nice, your risk of human error with manual focus when responding to fast action increases. There are always trade-offs.

Rolophoto

Thanks Jack. Nice of you to say.

Kurt, I’d obviously prefer an AF lens, but if Leica could make a 40/50/60mm Summicron with the same size and form factor as the Mamiya 80mm f1.9 with superb focus confirmation, would that not be worth dying for ? 😀

Don’t need the whole range duplicating in manual focus, just one for a small pack, big image combination !

Gary

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.