Discussion Forum Leica S System Images to Share Leica S2 New England Fall Foliage Trip – Day Four
    David Farkas

Our first day in Vermont

Peacham, VT

Leica S2 with 120mm, 1/45th @ f/11, B+W Circular Polarizer, Schneider 0.9 Soft Grad ND, Tripod

Leica S2 with 180mm, 1/350th @ f/6.8, B+W Circular Polarizer

Leica S2 with 120mm, 1/15th @ f/11, B+W Circular Polarizer, Tripod

Leica S2 with 180mm, 1/15th @ f/11, B+W Circular Polarizer, Tripod

Leica S2 with 70mm, 1/30th @ f/13, B+W Circular Polarizer, Tripod

Leica S2 with 180mm, 1/500th @ f/4, B+W Circular Polarizer

Leica S2 with 180mm, 1/6th @ f/8, B+W Circular Polarizer, Schneider 0.9 Hard Grad ND, Tripod

Moss Glenn Falls in Granville, VT
    (little indecisive as to which I like best)

Leica S2 with 35mm, 1.5sec @ f/13, B+W Circular Polarizer, Schneider 0.9 Soft Grad ND, Tripod

Leica S2 with 120mm, 3sec @ f/13, B+W Circular Polarizer, Schneider 0.9 Soft Grad ND, Tripod

Leica S2 with 35mm, 16sec @ f/13, B+W Circular Polarizer, Schneider 0.9 Soft Grad ND, Schneider 1.2 ND, Tripod

Leica S2 with 35mm, 16sec @ f/13, B+W Circular Polarizer, Schneider 0.9 Soft Grad ND, Schneider 1.2 ND, Tripod

David Farkas

Here’s another one from Moss Glenn Falls. It’s a four-shot pano stitch with the 35mm. Image size is about 82MP (12,000 x 6,000 px).

Pete Walentin

Really like the first one. With the roof of the barn complementing the foliage colors.

David, what is your experience in loosing IQ when using a Circular Polarizer? Which one do you use? Is there any, if at all, which is delivering the best results?

Thanks,
    Pete

P.S. Also like the Pano.

David Farkas

Pete Walentin;874 wrote: Really like the first one. With the roof of the barn complementing the foliage colors.

David, what is your experience in loosing IQ when using a Circular Polarizer? Which one do you use? Is there any, if at all, which is delivering the best results?

Thanks,
    Pete

P.S. Also like the Pano.

Pete,

I use the B+W F-Pro Kaesmann Circular Polarizer MRC. I’ve found no loss of quality when using the filter. Additionally, many of these shots were done with a polarizer and a 3-stop graduated ND and a solid 4-stop ND. The Schneider glass filters are second to none, especially when compared with resin filters. They don’t scratch or attract dust, are easy to clean and have no negative effect on image quality.

Thanks for the feedback. Happy to discuss technique.

Pete Walentin

David Farkas;877 wrote: Pete,

I use the B+W F-Pro Kaesmann Circular Polarizer MRC. I’ve found no loss of quality when using the filter. Additionally, many of these shots were done with a polarizer and a 3-stop graduated ND and a solid 4-stop ND. The Schneider glass filters are second to none, especially when compared with resin filters. They don’t scratch or attract dust, are easy to clean and have no negative effect on image quality.

Hi David,

I’ve used the Kaesmann Circular Polarizer MRC 82mm back in my Canon days with the UW lenses. That works fine for me as well. I have not used them on the S2. I was a little bit unsure about their effect. At all I am not a big fan of filters. 😉
    What I have used on the S2 are Cokin Filters. But they attract dust which makes them not very attractive to me. It feels like I always have to clean them but I never get them as clean as I would like to have them. 😉 On top of that I do like to make “my photography” as simple as possible. One of the reasons I switched to the S2.

But it looks like the Cokin Filters have the same size 4×4 and 4×6 as the Schneider Filters so I could use my adapter and try the Schneider Filters. So thanks for the tip.

David Farkas

Pete Walentin;882 wrote: Hi David,

I’ve used the Kaesmann Circular Polarizer MRC 82mm back in my Canon days with the UW lenses. That works fine for me as well. I have not used them on the S2. I was a little bit unsure about their effect. At all I am not a big fan of filters. 😉
    What I have used on the S2 are Cokin Filters. But they attract dust which makes them not very attractive to me. It feels like I always have to clean them but I never get them as clean as I would like to have them. 😉 On top of that I do like to make “my photography” as simple as possible. One of the reasons I switched to the S2.

But it looks like the Cokin Filters have the same size 4×4 and 4×6 as the Schneider Filters so I could use my adapter and try the Schneider Filters. So thanks for the tip.

Pete,

I used the Hi-Tec resin filters and had the same issue. Micro surface cleaning scratches no matter how careful I was in cleaning and dust that never seemed to go away. In dry climates the resin filters hold a static charge and become dust magnets. Once I went with the optical glass filters…. wow. All of those problems were a thing of the past. They don’t get dusty at all and are as easy to clean as a lens or other glass filter. And, perhaps more importantly, they do not detract from the quality of the image as I felt the resin filters did.

You will not be able to use your existing Cokin holder, though. The glass filters are 4mm thick vs. 2mm thick for the resin ones. Schneider modifies the Lee holder with two 4mm slots, which have individual thumb screws for locking the filters in place. The glass filters are heavier and could slide through if tension isn’t applied.

Looking at technical data from the shots I’ve posted, you’ll see that these filters were invaluable for easily getting the shot. Not one image posted is an HDR merge. They are all single shot exposures (except for the one pano of the waterfall).

Pete Walentin

David Farkas;887 wrote:
    You will not be able to use your existing Cokin holder, though. The glass filters are 4mm thick vs. 2mm thick for the resin ones. Schneider modifies the Lee holder with two 4mm slots, which have individual thumb screws for locking the filters in place. The glass filters are heavier and could slide through if tension isn’t applied.

Looking at technical data from the shots I’ve posted, you’ll see that these filters were invaluable for easily getting the shot. Not one image posted is an HDR merge. They are all single shot exposures (except for the one pano of the waterfall).

Hi David,

When taking a look at my adapter earlier today I thought the same. Glass isn’t likely to bend as it is “plastic”. So I have to rethink about a new investment. 😉

Thanks,
    Pete

Jack MacD

Pete,
    David had advised all of us to get his system of graduated filters before we left on the trip. i ignored him, as I recalled how bad the old resin filters I had when I had a 6×7. I figured I would just do HDR post processing, or exposure blending.

But in the first five minutes of photographing with David, he pulls out his GLASS graduated filter system. He demonstrates how he eliminates the blown out highlights in the sky in 15 seconds as opposed to post processing time of ten minutes. I tell him I made a slight mistake in not buying them before. I purchase a set from him in the wilds of New Hampshire. Even faster than the internet. Then everybody buys the system. He has to air freight in more.

I get this picture 5 minutes after seeing the system. BTW I did take the shot with two planes of focus, but I am not sure I need to use a focus blend.

Attached files

David K

My favs from Day Four

Attached files

David Farkas

David,

Nice shots. You really nailed the tractor shot. Unfortunately, I must have moved my focus or just not paid attention to focus at all as I was chopping down weeds with a Swiss Army Knife in front of our camera position.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.