Discussion Forum Leica S System Images to Share Some night shots from Iceland
    Stuart Richardson

Since we pretty much only have night these days (sic), I have not been able to get out and do too many S2 photos. It was annoying me, so I decided to take up a new project on something else that annoys me — the absolute forest of streetlights here! They block out the aurora, the moon, the stars and make the winter months orange tinted. I balanced these photos for white, to play up the starkness, but I may also decide to leave them as how the eye sees them, which is as sodium orange. Or I may do both…
    The rest of the photos are here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/

Jack MacD

I prefer your white balance as you have it. I am shooting some overpasses from below and you are motivating me to do some night work on them. I can appreciate why you would like an S2 with the conditions you live in. Glad you are posting, not many of us get to your part of the world, and I like your eye.

Stuart Richardson

Thanks very much Jack. I do prefer the white balance this way too, at least aesthetically, but I may change later. I would be interested to see your overpasses as well! You are right though about the S2 here — it works beautifully in Iceland. I was very impressed too, as I was outside for two hours and took 40 long exposure photos, and the temperature was -7C (19.4F), and despite this the battery still showed full after! Most photos were 10 seconds or so (so 20 with the darkframe), but some were up to 120s (240 with dark frame…). The battery life I have been getting out of the S2 has been fantastic, not unlike it was with the D3. I just have one battery, and I don’t really feel like it is worth trying to buy another, at least not yet.

Jack MacD

Stuart,
    Your point about battery life is well taken. It is amazing. When one finally runs down, I always think something horrible has happened, as I see the camera so rarely down. Then I realize it’s just the battery. This occurred once when shooting an event where i actually ran through a 64 Gig card before the battery ran down. I do have a backup battery which I bought assuming it would be necessary daily rather than rarely. But unless shooting events, there is not much reason to have a backup.

At your request, here is one of the overpass shots from a series currently called Looking UP and discussed in the M9 image forum. I have also shot these with the M9 and 16mm, but have concluded that effective 28mm is a better choice and using the S2 and 35mm. And as I plan to blow these up huge, I need the resolution. After seeing your night shots, I will return to this area and try some night shots. Then as David will anticipate, I will have the opportunity to have another triptych.
    Jack
    http://www.macdonough.net/Landscapes/Ceilings-of-Mil/20371090_n3XCMX#!i=1611727575&k=NdbJjLT

Attached files

Al Tanabe

Stuart,
    Nice shot, I agree with Jack on the white balance for this scene.

I sometimes wonder if the battery indicator is working correctly after a day of shooting! I still carry a spare and have not had to use it even after a day shooting in the cold.

-Al

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.