Discussion Forum Leica M System M Lenses Will Leica start making more silver chrome lenses again?
    David Farkas

With the popularity of the silver chrome finish on the M9-P, who thinks Leica will reintroduce silver chrome lenses like they had ten years ago. Now, the only silver lenses are the 35 Cron ASPH and 50 Lux ASPH which are very popular.

I’d love to see the 50 Cron in silver again. I had one a few years ago that mysteriously evaporated. 🙁

Riccis

I would be all over a chrome 90 Summicron.

stephan

Maybe, maybe not, but I mostly fear that they will not make “real chromed” lenses again, only silver anodized ones as the 28 cron.

Photojazz

I hope not. The market is thin enough without them producing specialty lens materials. I say stick to stealth black, and make all you can. To me, the M9 P says, people like basic black, and to be able to blend in, not stand out in a crowd. It’s the style of shooting many M9 fans do, less is more.

Delfi_r

Don’t expect more silver or chrome lenses in the near future. I’ve direct information that there are plans to cancel in the future the chrome M9P and grey M9 because their production slows the total output of the factory and now there is urge to fullfill the orders.

stephan

To me, the M9 P says, people like basic black

at least not here in good old Europe, where the chrome version of the M9P is much more apreciated (and sold) than the black one.

Besides the esthetics, there are real arguments for a “real chrome” version, as chrome is much more resistant and more in the “Leica-tradition” than black paint. My M9 in black is badly worn after only two years, while my chrome M8 was like new after this time (and could be sold easily).

Btw, I had for a short time a 28 mm Sumicron called “silver” (which is made from anodized aluminium), but it could in no way be compared with real chromed silver lenses.

Stuart Richardson

Photojazz;1157 wrote: I hope not. The market is thin enough without them producing specialty lens materials. I say stick to stealth black, and make all you can. To me, the M9 P says, people like basic black, and to be able to blend in, not stand out in a crowd. It’s the style of shooting many M9 fans do, less is more.

Totally agree. And I say this as someone with a chrome M7 with blue leather (maybe I was a little crazy when I ordered that). In general, the more expensive these cameras get, the more I want them to be nondescript. I have taped up my S2, (which still looks expensive of course, no matter what kind of tape you put on it) on the basis of the fact that I don’t want to bring attention to the fact that the camera and lenses are worth more than the car we drove to the location in! Same thing when you are photographing someone — I don’t want them looking at the red dot or Leica script that is staring straight at them, I want them to look in the lens, or at least not be distracted by some branding or logo. The silver lenses and bodies are not so bad, and I do think that if they can continue to make them they should, but not if it is at the expense of the production schedule for the regular lenses. My dealer in Iceland is still waiting for the 1st 35mm FLE to be shipped to him, and he put in the order at Photokina! That’s over a year and they have not delivered a single 35mm FLE to this entire country!!! The last thing we need is to slow down production with more variety…

jaapv

Delfi_r;1174 wrote: Don’t expect more silver or chrome lenses in the near future. I’ve direct information that there are plans to cancel in the future the chrome M9P and grey M9 because their production slows the total output of the factory and now there is urge to fullfill the orders.

That is a rather amazing rumor. Afaik the chrome M9P cameras outsell the black ones by a fair margin. And why would it slow up production?:confused:. Leica does not even produce the chrome/back parts themselves…

hoppyman

That rumour doesn’t make sense for me either. I would not be surprised if the grey M9 option just fades away but that is because the chrome M9-P option has proven to be so popular. I don’t see why the black paint M9 can’t continue to co-exist with the M9-P options though since the internals of course are identical.
    Of course everything may change when the next M arrives.

nail24

I really like my 50mm Lux ASPH in chrome, it is beautiful and an excellent optic, however I wish it were a bit lighter.

naomisy

I just got a 50mm Lux ASPH, but its not lighter!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.