Leica Guy

I am looking into jumping into the S system. I’ve read information on the lenses, but wanted to get some feedback from some users. Which would be better to invest in first? The 120mm or 180mm. The 120mm semms like it’d be more versatile.

melantye

Leica Guy;1833 wrote: I am looking into jumping into the S system. I’ve read information on the lenses, but wanted to get some feedback from some users. Which would be better to invest in first? The 120mm or 180mm. The 120mm semms like it’d be more versatile.

For me 120mm first. close up 1:2 and more handheld friendly than 180mm.

Paratom

I started with 35/70 and then asked myself the same question.
    I then decided for the 120 but added the 180 not long ago.

I would say it really depends – the 120 offers even shallower DOF and has the 1:2 “Macro” capability.
    BUT – the 180 adds that little bit more reach and telelook which sometimes really helps.

In my case I seem to more often use either 70 or if I need reach 180mm, and not so often the 120mm-even though it is a very fine if not the finest lens of the S-line.

If I had to do it again and if I was limited to just 3 lenses I would get 30 or 35, 70 and 180.

One thing about the 120 is that together with the 35 it makes a very nice 2 lens travel kit.

Conclusion (as you know anyways) – it depends on your needs. Optically they are both very very good – I would say the 120 a little “smoother” and the 180 a little more “pop”.

stephan

with no doubt the 120 first. It’s a very nice portrait lens, that can be used indoors as well as outdoors. The 180 will be a nice addtion though, for outdoors when you have enough light

arminw

Sorry to jump into this thread with another question , because I am also deciding wether to get the 120 or 180 but can’t make up my mind in regards of which one would be wise to get the CS versions or not . My guts tell me to get the CS versions, but then again it’s another waiting time and also I don’t think Leica is holding on to their original promise to let the customer upgrade to CS once they are available , or am I wrong with this statement ?

David Farkas

arminw;1931 wrote: Sorry to jump into this thread with another question , because I am also deciding wether to get the 120 or 180 but can’t make up my mind in regards of which one would be wise to get the CS versions or not . My guts tell me to get the CS versions, but then again it’s another waiting time and also I don’t think Leica is holding on to their original promise to let the customer upgrade to CS once they are available , or am I wrong with this statement ?

I’ve verified that Leica is in fact honoring the CS lens upgrade for new lens purchases up until the time of launch for the CS versions.

Sawboneslf

120 for sure. It is much more versatile and the only macro lens. I have the 35, 70, and the 120. The need for distant subject isolation required for the 180 is not missed and with 37.5 megapixels you can crop for the same effect with minimal loss of detail.

Albert Knapp, MDAvatar photo

I have both the 120 and the 180. The former is the direct descendant of the famous 100mm MACRO R lens and it is a stunner… the ultimate MACRO but also a superb portrait lens.

Probably will be the overall best lens in the S2 universe. The 120mm is more vesatile but then again, the 180 is extraordinary as well.

You will end up buying both….

Albert :):):)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.