Discussion Forum Leica S System S2 Firmware update procedere – ATTENTION!
    Pete Walentin

I know that only a few people using the rear thumb button for AF but if you do so, best is to not update your firmware with a lens attached to your camera which is extending when using the AF.

The reason is simple. You have to press the rear thumb button to activate the update process. If you have a lens attached like the 120mm, likely with a lens cap, the lens will focus as long as you press the button. So long no problem, but when you place the camera top down with the lens on a table, there is a lot of weight the AF motor has to deal with and it is very likely that you add some more weight by pressing the rear thumb button. Which will then very likely screw your lenses AF.

This is what happens to me and my 120mm, which is already on the way to Solms. I lifted the camera asap when I felt the resistance, but it was too late. AF was dead afterwards.

ciracrowell

Thanks for posting this point of concern.
    Just to clarify, if I do not use the rear AF button then this is not a concern? :confused: I just updated firmware with lenses attached but have not been out shooting since to notice an issue.

David Farkas

Pete,

Sorry to hear about your mishap.

The 120 lens is the only S lens that isn’t an internally focusing design. We use (and recommend) the rear button for AF activation and have never had an issue updating firmware. Usually, we update firmware with the 70mm attached so it has never been an issue.

I’d also suggest not resting the camera on the front of the lens. With the 120, even when the camera wakes from sleep, the lens will do it’s little initialization “dance”. If you have it resting lens-down, there is a good chance of damaging the focus motor or gearing.

Mark Gowin

I store my S2 lens down in my camera bag all the time. However, I don’t yet have a 120mm so maybe it’s not a problem.

Pete Walentin

ciracrowell;2529 wrote: Thanks for posting this point of concern.
    Just to clarify, if I do not use the rear AF button then this is not a concern?

Right.

David Farkas;2530 wrote: I’d also suggest not resting the camera on the front of the lens. With the 120, even when the camera wakes from sleep, the lens will do it’s little initialization “dance”. If you have it resting lens-down, there is a good chance of damaging the focus motor or gearing.

Usually I have the lens hood attached to protect the lens. 99% of time. But as always when accidents happens it is a combination of various unfortunate circumstances. Thats life. 😉

Stuart Richardson

I would never have thought about this…thanks for the suggestion! I have not updated to the latest firmware yet. I am not using the H adapter, and it did not seem like there was anything else in there to make it worth upgrading…I will probably just wait until there is a more significant update.

Pete Walentin

Stuart Richardson;2550 wrote: I would never have thought about this…thanks for the suggestion! I have not updated to the latest firmware yet. I am not using the H adapter, and it did not seem like there was anything else in there to make it worth upgrading…I will probably just wait until there is a more significant update.

That is what I thought as well, but a Leica representative told me that there are other minor improvements included as well.

Stuart Richardson

Any specifics? I am sure they update little things, but I don’t always upgrade firmware that quickly unless there is a clear advantage. I guess I am taking a “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” attitude. For example, the last time I did a Mac OSX update, it destroyed my computer…luckily I had a backup.

Pete Walentin

No specifics, sorry.

I already waited a bit before I upgraded. Unfortunately I have the “there is a task open, take care of it” attitude, to keep my list small. 😉

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.