andyc

I have just got the new H to S Adaptor for HC Lenses on S2 Body… using HC 300
    first impression was a little disappointing regarding the frequent failure of the Lens recognition when first turning on which was repeated quite often.. I am in the process of eliminating the obvious possibilities such as Battery power and dirty contacts but so far to no avail.
    I wonder if anyone else has a similar problem as it is again irritating to find a possible fault with another new Leica product.
    I notice the Adaptor is made in Portugal… however when it does work it is fine and all functions seem to be as they should
    I will post any development in due course

Josh Lehrer

Andyc:

Well first off I am jealous that you have received an adapter before any of us here in the US! My first question would be, have you updated your Leica S2 body to the latest firmware? This new firmware, version 1.0.3.3 is designed to allow the S2 to work properly with the new adapter. You can find a link to that here:

http://www.reddotforum.com/content.php/225-Leica-S2-Firmware-Update-1.0.3.3-Now-Available

If that still doesn’t fix it, let me know.

andyc

Hi Josh
    yes I had already updated the firmware beforehand…
    I think it is possibly a rogue Adaptor as it occurs on both my S2 Bodies with or without the Multi Battery Grips attached..
    I had also noticed a hitch when setting the top OLED to brightest with the Grip attached whereby it defaults back to ‘medium’ when the S2 is switched off and on again.
    Solms have agreed it and will be giving a further firmware update soon.. (I hope).
    I will be going to Mayfair Leica Service next week and we will try it with different HC Lenses to see if it is my Lens or the Adaptor.. I was lucky to get the Adaptor but I am now hoping it is faulty and not my HC 300 ??

PebblePlace

Do you have any other HC lenses, such as maybe the 100/2.2? I suspect the 100/2.2 is the lens most people are interested in – at least me ๐Ÿ™‚

andyc

Hi Pebbleplace
    Sadly no.. I recently sold my Hasselblad Kit including 5 HC Lenses but no 100/2.2
    I have bought all the non CS Lenses and kept the 300 HC as there is nothing as yet from Leica..
    Don’t forget that Leica are duty bound to honour their pledge to allow you a equivalent CS upgrade with just the difference in price to pay when you return your (bought new) non CS Lenses to your original Dealer. if and when that ever happens ?? why do you think the H to S Adaptors were made first ???
    I suggest there are plenty of S2 Bodies and Leica are desperate to sell them to Hasselblad owners otherwise they could lose any foothold with them.

fotografz

I would first get your hands on a different Hasselblad HC or HCD lens. Preferably a new or newer one.

Some HC300mm occasionally can act up even on some H bodies … mine would sometimes just not AF at all, or the H camera would read no lens attached. I would reattach the lens and it would work, then later wouldn’t. I found that it was just the combination on my H4D/60 camera in colder conditions, and a friend in Florida bought my lens and never had the same issue on his H3D-II/39.

Check that the gold contact pins on the lens are even when viewed from the side, sometimes a pin gets stuck, or the spring load weakens/fails and it doesn’t make secure contact.

How old is the 300mm lens? Does it have silver or black screw heads holding the H mounting flange?

You no longer have a H camera, so you cannot check the firmware version of the lens.

Frankly, these suggestions are all long-shots as most people do not have any issues with the 300mm on a H camera, and you may well just have a defective H to S adapter.

-Marc

andyc

[I]Hi Fotograzf
    I have checked all contacts and cleaned them..
    I hope to try it on a HD4-50 next week… but,
    the strange thing is, since I have kept the Adaptor on the Lens and only change Lenses with it already attached there seem to be no more problems…. (ooops.. why do I say these things !!)
    There is also a slight Camera ‘click’ on start up when it is OK but nothing when the S2 does not recognise it..
    The Flange screws are Black and it is a new ex Demo Lens that looks absolutely mint and was only used about 500 times. there is still a 6 months of a 1 year Warranty left.
    I wonder if there was a settling in period ?[/I]

Many thanks for your suggestions,. itโ€™s always good to have comments from fellow Leica Photographers…

PebblePlace

Marc – I thought about the firmware too. Going off topic here – the firmware could cut both ways. There is probably a golden version which Leica used during testing. And then there could be a future version where Hasselblad could “break” the adapter…

I’m curious to see how the 100/2.2 does the S2. We’ll know better in a couple months as more adapters get into people’s hands. I don’t need leaf shutter lenses per-se; I’m mostly interested in the 100/2.2 as a portrait lens. If the HC proves too troublesome, then I’ll probably pick up a V 110/2.

The Mamiya 200/2.8 APO has worked out really well on the S2, so I’m more willing to use the 110/2 now than I was a couple weeks ago.

andyc

[COLOR=red]Hi All
    just to let you know that after a visit to Leica Mayfair UK today it was realised that the Adaptor was indeed faulty and the Lens was in perfect working order.. in fact the Lens had only 48 actuations and was the latest one.. wow that was a good one to keep !!
    I was given a new exchange and everything is as it should be with focus snapping sharply without ‘hunting’
    I can now give a 5 star rating for the H Adaptor S and the benefits that you get with using CS and FP as Leica intended, albeit without the superior Glass.[/COLOR]

David Farkas

andyc;2505 wrote: Hi All
    just to let you know that after a visit to Leica Mayfair UK today it was realised that the Adaptor was indeed faulty and the Lens was in perfect working order.. in fact the Lens had only 48 actuations and was the latest one.. wow that was a good one to keep !!
    I was given a new exchange and everything is as it should be with focus snapping sharply without ‘hunting’
    I can now give a 5 star rating for the H Adaptor S and the benefits that you get with using CS and FP as Leica intended, albeit without the superior Glass.

Glad to hear everything worked out.

andyc

Example image of H to S Adaptor and HC 300mm
    small jpeg’s unfortunately
    brilliant on DNG’s @ 72Mb

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.