Discussion Forum Leica S System S2 hoping for a Summicron one day
    stephan

Well this years photokina didn’t bring any really interesting new lens to me. Thankfully, as I just bought a MM and need a bit time for more investments.

But I was also a bit disapointed about the lenses that were annonunced. I’m not a wide-angle guy, even if I may one day add the 24 mm.

But I expected something like a Summicron 100 or a Summicron 50, something that would combine extraordinary bokeh with decent sharpnes. I’m using actually the HaBla 100/2.2 that has a very pleasing bokeh but lacks sharpnes wide open, especially outside the center.

So a Summicron would have been apriciated. But maybe next year?

Paratom

stephan;3512 wrote: Well this years photokina didn’t bring any really interesting new lens to me. Thankfully, as I just bought a MM and need a bit time for more investments.

But I was also a bit disapointed about the lenses that were annonunced. I’m not a wide-angle guy, even if I may one day add the 24 mm.

But I expected something like a Summicron 100 or a Summicron 50, something that would combine extraordinary bokeh with decent sharpnes. I’m using actually the HaBla 100/2.2 that has a very pleasing bokeh but lacks sharpnes wide open, especially outside the center.

So a Summicron would have been apriciated. But maybe next year?

Did you try the 120 Macro? Yes, its a macro but I find it works very well for portraits.

stephan

yes, I have it, and it works for portraits but I think its a bit to contrasty. I will try the Elpro for the 180, but the longer lenses have some drawbacks as well, especially in natural light

PebblePlace

You could try some non-Leica lenses, such as:

Leica S / HC Adapter with the Hasselblad 100/2.2
    Leica S / V Adapter with the Hasselblad 110/2
    Leica S / 645M Adapter with the Mamiya 110/2.8
    Leica S / 645M Adapter with the Mamiya 80/1.9

With regards to the Elpro, to me that seems like a tool to make the 180S a semi macro lens. The 180S has a min focus distance of 1.5 meters, which is a fairly tight head shot as-is. The 70S has a short minimum focus distance, so shooting tight with it is another option.

stephan

I actually have the Leica S / HC Adapter with the Hasselblad 100/2.2 and I like the focal length as well as the rendering …… at 5,6. Wider open this lens is a bit to soft for my taste, especially at the borders.

Leica S / V Adapter with the Hasselblad 110/2

I tried this combo but was a bit disapointed because of the CAs wide open. I prefer to use the M then when I want to get this look 🙂

really, a S Summicron would be fine 🙂

PebblePlace

I’ve been curious to see examples of the 100/2.2 HC on the S2 (hint-hint-hint!) I don’t have an H system, so buying the HC adapter + 100/2.2 is an expensive experiment.

The Hasselblad 110/2 really is something wonderful on its intended 6×6 negative. I liked it on my Phase One systems, but on the S2 with its smaller sensor, some of the magic is lost. And I agree, the color fringing in the bokeh can be intense at times, and something about Leica’s color profiles just seem to really highlight it that much more.

If a soft lens is not your taste wide open, then scratch the Mamiya 110/2.8 off that list. The lens actually has a nice rendering, but it’s not wide open sharp like its big brothers – the 200/2.8 APO and 300/2.8 APO. The Mamiya 80/1.9 (in my experience) is sharper wide open than the 110/2.8. The 80/1.9’s bokeh can be alittle nervous, but ~$200 and F1.9 — it’s pretty darn hard to beat.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.