Discussion Forum Leica M System M Lenses Leica Elmarit-M 90 mm f/2.8 6-bit coded lens
    hmarkweidman

I managed to accidentally scratch the front element of my Leica Elmarit-M 90 mm f/2.8 6-bit coded lens, Serial #3521137. I contacted Leica and they no longer have that lens element available for replacement. Below is a photo of the lens & scratch. Does anyone have any suggestions for repairing this scratch? Perhaps buy an identical lens with a pristine front element and swap the front glass? Any suggestions or thoughts you have will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Mark Weidman

Attached files

hoppyman

Hi Mark. That scratch would certainly make your eyes water.
    I suggest that you take a look for another lens of the same model in the usual places rather than contemplate repairs which could potentially approach the value of a used lens. In my experience with that particular lens they can be under-appreciated/valued on the used market despite performing extremely well. Worth a look at the very least.
    I actually bought a second one quite cheaply specifically because it was coded and my current example was not. I planned to have the mount swapped along with a CLA on both, one to keep and one to then resell. In the end my repairer (in Australia) actually had replacement mounts on hand.
    Good luck

Josh Lehrer

I agree with the previous post. Repairing that lens will most likely be costly and complex, it’s probably easier to secure another one and sell the damaged lens for spare parts. Does the scratch show up in images that you shoot with the lens?

hmarkweidman

Preliminary testing indicates that the scratch does not show up on photos, which is pretty incredible. But, every time I use this lens, which is frequent, and look at that scratch, I will feel sick. I am going to start searching online for a replacement. Several people have already expressed interest in buying this lens, though no price has been discussed. The lens was in excellent condition when I bought it a year ago; I had it 6-bit coded by Leica right after buying it. In 30+ years of shooting professionally I never scratched a lens. Last year I dropped a practically brand new Leica 28 mm Elmarit, which Leica was able to repair. And now this scratch ……

albireo_double

I’d probably just buy another Elmarit 2.8 90 second hand, in good condition and swap the bayonet to get 6-bit coding (assuming that you would be much more likely to find a non 6-bit coded lens second hand, or it would be cheaper to buy than a 6-bit coded lens). Then I’d sell damaged lens with the non 6-bit bayonet second hand, for whatever you can get for it.

stephan

Preliminary testing indicates that the scratch does not show up on photos, which is pretty incredible. But, every time I use this lens, which is frequent, and look at that scratch, I will feel sick. I am going to start searching online for a replacement. Several people have already expressed interest in buying this lens, though no price has been discussed. The lens was in excellent condition when I bought it a year ago; I had it 6-bit coded by Leica right after buying it. In 30+ years of shooting professionally I never scratched a lens. Last year I dropped a practically brand new Leica 28 mm Elmarit, which Leica was able to repair. And now this scratch ……

If you don’t see any difference then I suggest to put a filter in front, this will hide the scratch from your eyes and then I suggest to forget it 🙂

In the meantime you can look out for a used / damaged one that may serve you as a spare.

Brian

The “old trick” is to use black paint to fill in the scratch. This prevents the scratch from producing a reflection and flare, which is the primary source of image corruption. After filling it in, I doubt you will see any difference in performance.

ShawnK

Needless to say (I’m knocking on wood) I have NO experience @ this, altho’ I’m a retired Engineer and in US, there are car windshield repair places they have some clear epoxy that they fill in chipped windshield & smooth it out w/just with a small cloth. U might want to go & talk to them or scientific instrument repair place too. If not take two pics w/slight movement, so u can cut & splice the original. Tho’ might be troublesome in Street Photography. Just my 2c. Good Luck & do let us know how end up resolving the issue.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.