Discussion Forum Leica S System S2 OLED display going, going…
    allegretto

It seems that my OLED display on top was much brighter when I received the camera. Was well lit with a kind of bluish backlight.

Now it is faint and difficult to see in almost any light. Is this common? Am I missing something?

thanks

David Farkas

There was an issue with the initial supplier for the top OLED display. Leica has recently changed suppliers and is offering a free replacement of the top display.

The new OLED can be identified by its more bluish cast and visibility in bright daylight.

Doug

Mine is essentially invisible in daylight as well… Is this service done in NJ?

David Farkas

Doug;986 wrote: Mine is essentially invisible in daylight as well… Is this service done in NJ?

Doug,

Unfortunately, all S2 service is performed in Germany. The good news is that turnaround for S2 service is pretty quick.

Jack MacD

Having seen the new display vs my old one, this replacement is worth losing the camera for a bit.

Bobby Lee

May I ask why Leica has to use OLED for the top display if it does not function that well under daylight?

Arif

Jack MacD;988 wrote: Having seen the new display vs my old one, this replacement is worth losing the camera for a bit.

I agree. I just got mine back from Solms and it is a significant improvement.

Josh Lehrer

The original OLED part, while ultimately defective, is a great idea. The ability to color-code information on the top display allows the user to quickly see what’s going with the camera. For example, if a setting on the top OLED is blue while shooting tethered, that means that setting is being controlled from the computer. If something is green, the camera is calculating that setting. The colors are not arbitrary by any means.

The new component is worlds better than the old, and is visible in any lighting condition without difficulty. All new cameras come with this component, and Leica will replace older OLED screens free of charge. From my experience, the repair itself (not including time in transit) takes about 8 days.

pophoto

Does Leica also pay for shipping costs?

Kurt Kamka

I’ve had mine replaced … and the difference is dramatic.

Doug

My S2 went off to Allendale NJ Thursday afternoon, UPS Next Day Air, due to arrive before 3pm eastern time Friday. I paid for that leg of the journey. Perhaps Leica USA will get it off to Germany later Friday… they pay for that part of the trip, and the return to me later by Overnight shipment.

I spoke with Carmen, very helpful, clearly aware of the issue and asked the serial number over the phone. Wanted to know if it was an S2P… Might be a couple weeks before I see it again, and that will be welcome since I’m off to Hawaii mid-November.

michaelctk

Doug;986 wrote: Mine is essentially invisible in daylight as well… Is this service done in NJ?

Mine also same with this problem, just bought it on July 2011.

Josh Lehrer

To give everyone a better idea of what to look for…this image (taken outdoors in open shade) shows 3 different S2 bodies with 3 different OLED screens. The bottom S2’s screen is from an early batch of S2 bodies, and exhibits heavy fading to the point where it can barely be seen. The middle S2’s OLED screen was replaced by Leica before the newest component was available. It is brighter, but will eventually fade to the same level as the bottom OLED. The S2 on the top is the newest OLED component, notice the slight bluish cast. It is considerably brighter and more contrasty than the original OLED, and can been seen clearly outdoors.

constable

David, Josh

Is there a list of serial numbers that qualify for the replacement?

Mine is a 2010 model with serial number 3800XXX that is now almost impossible to read in daylight (not sunlight, rather daylight!)

Cheers

Ed

David Farkas

constable;1018 wrote: David, Josh

Is there a list of serial numbers that qualify for the replacement?

Mine is a 2010 model with serial number 3800XXX that is now almost impossible to read in daylight (not sunlight, rather daylight!)

Cheers

Ed

All S2s with the original OLED component are eligible for free replacement.

Kurt Kamka

David,

Will the newest version also fade over time? I’m not certain if that is nature of these types of panels or if it was because of a component from a particular supplier, but I thought that I’d see what you’ve heard.

Kurt

David Farkas

Kurt Kamka;1020 wrote: David,

Will the newest version also fade over time? I’m not certain if that is nature of these types of panels or if it was because of a component from a particular supplier, but I thought that I’d see what you’ve heard.

Kurt

Kurt,

From what I’ve heard, this new component shouldn’t fade like the original part. Of course, only time will be the true test.

Bob Moore

Emailed Leica NJ today and a loaner should be here Monday so I can have my S2-P updated.

Could not see the OLED at 700AM here in the shade.

Bob

Doug

Thanks for the useful example pics, Josh! Mine has distinctly green letters like the bottom example, indoors where I can see it. Outdoors if I cup my hand around it, then it’s faintly visible.

[Mine, shipped yesterday to NJ by UPS Next Day Air, didn’t even make it out of town yet, so I think I’ll be getting a refund on the shipping costs.]

Josh Lehrer

A quick follow up…it’s been about a year since we had the OLED screen’s replaced on our S2-P bodies, and they haven’t faded at all. And it looks like it’s the same OLED that’s going in the new S, which is a good sign.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.