Discussion Forum Leica Q Images to Share Recent images with the Q.
    dalethorn

The first image here is upscale condos that sit on a salt-water wetland. The reason I did this one is to show Autumn colors in the Southland, which are sparse compared to Northern states. The second image is the European-village miniature at the downtown hotel in Charleston, which gets put up every December for the hotel and shopping guests. That scene is pretty dark from all four sides, so I shot a couple of handheld bursts at 1/10 second and ISO 1600. I could have opened the Aperture to as wide as f1.7, but I needed DOF, so it’s not as sharp as it could have been.

Leica Q, f5.6, 1/1600, ISO 200.

Condos, Autumn

Leica Q, f5.6, 1/10 sec. handheld burst, ISO 1600.

Hotel, Miniature Setting

dalethorn

Doorway into a unique art/antique shop.

Doorway

dalethorn

Spontaneous take in coffee shop, cropped…

Coffee Shop

dalethorn

Bridge and water….

Bridge and Water

dalethorn

Lunchtime, heavy crop…

Lunchtime

dalethorn

Charleston Churches…

Churches

dalethorn

Church memorial…

Church Memorial

Doug

Thanks, Dale, for the series, giving a sense of your community. Seems calm and relaxed, comfortable.

Does the Q suit your style? I like to stay with one lens for extended times, sometimes a 28. 🙂

dalethorn

Thanks for looking – I’m still growing into the Q. My first 28 was a Nikon Coolpix A, APS-C with 28 mm perspective. It’s a great camera, especially given the small size, but the Q is on a new level. I said to someone recently that the Q has more latitude, or forgiveness, than other similarly-sized cameras, and what that means to me is I feel confident I can get a usable image most of the time in spontaneous shooting in unpredictable circumstances. One recent discussion was about wedding photography, and I suggested that ideally one should hire two photographers – one for the formal portraits and scenes of highest quality, and one other person for candids. Those two requirements are so different that I don’t think one person can do both very well, especially with the bulky gear etc. Although I don’t do weddings, I like the unexpected things, and where my best shot in a particular scenario may be heavily cropped, the Q rarely ever fails to produce at least one keeper.

dalethorn

Here’s something I thought would be an interesting juxtaposition – the statue of John C. Calhoun, seen through the framework of this Holocaust Memorial.

Leica Q, f5.6, 1/800 handheld, ISO 200.
    Holocaust Memorial / Calhoun

dalethorn

Interior of church – I needed to select and darken (gamma, lightness) the large white object containing the Jesus-figure behind the altar. It was overexposed, so some surface detail or texture was lost. Still a pretty good win, shooting handheld and JPEG with the Q. I would have preferred to shoot a little higher above the pews, but not having a tripod, it was the only shooting position where I could brace the camera and not have to use an extreme ISO.

Leica Q, f5.6, 0.5 seconds braced, ISO 200.
    Church interior

dalethorn

A parking deck staircase, looking down 5 floors.

Leica Q, f11, 1/5 sec. handheld braced, ISO 200.
    Stairs

dalethorn

The Q at 28 mm isn’t a first choice in birds, but sometimes the little ones let you get close. The beak, closest to the head, shows how young this little birdie is.

Leica Q, f5.6, 1/200 handheld, ISO 200.
    Sparrow

dalethorn

Reposting sparrow from previous post.

Sparrow

dalethorn

More-or-less abandoned stone church, Akron Ohio, probably now owned by Akron University. As the industrial era wound down, Akron U has acquired thousands of acres of land near downtown for bargain prices.

Leica Q, f5.6, 1/80 handheld, ISO 200.
    Church

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.