David Farkas

Anyone have the X Vario? Curious to hear user feedback.

Please post positives, not-so-positives and any suggested firmware changes you may have based on actual use.

Thanks!

dalethorn

Positives
    ———-

Leica experience. Unboxing the camera and holding it is impressive. I don’t think I would have found that especially important at one time – now I do.

Manual operation, when manual operation isn’t so much extra work as it is having a direct and positive control of the camera. The lens barrel, with focus and zoom rings is a case in point.

Image quality. Putting aside any particular efforts and techniques involved in acquiring the image, the image is the end result and speaks for itself.

Not so positives
    ——————

In my opinion a rugged wrist strap is a necessity, and when the camera is not in hand, the only strap needed is the shoulder strap attached to the carry case. Also in my opinion, the X Vario is more of a consumer camera than a working professional photographer’s camera, and carry case options should include cases that look unobtrusive in social gatherings (or as unobtrusive as possible).

Firmware
    ———-

Autofocus speed.
    Video quality.

jwcane

Still getting used to the xVario. Very nice in the hand. Excellent for all kinds of casual and candid shots and in general, also for manually focused close-ups. Still gathering equipment for the latter. Beginning to try it on orchids (my current specialty), and other floral close-ups.

The fixed lens defines this as an alternative to the all-out professional product, but at the same time, it has a lot of important qualities. I’m in process of determining if it will serve my purposes without going to the M-240, which I have on order in case of need.

The electronic viewfinder does away with mechanical mirrors and all the associated overhead, and manual focus assist (MFA) is an excellent focusing aid. This brilliant, new feature first comes to notice when turning the manual focusing ring, but read on.

At a range of about 30 cm there is no difficulty using MFA to refocus on different elements 2 cm nearer/closer to each other. Due to the high magnification, there is a degree of noise/jitter in low-contrast areas of the MFA image (even with a tripod), but it does not take long to learn to ignore that. There is no hint of noise in the downloaded, developed image.

MFA shuts down after 3 s., possibly to conserve power(?). It comes right back on after pressing the Delete/Focus (D/F) button. Also, when D/F is pressed, the position of the MFA window is steerable within the limits of the viewfinder, by use of the silver, all-purpose direction pad. Consistent with energy-drain limitations, Leica might consider adding a setting to increase the life of the MFA window.

Leica should add to user’s manual: the “steered” MFA position is persistent shot-to-shot. This is very useful when making multiple shots with a tripod. The way to ensure persistence is to set auto power-off (APO) to a longer time, up to max. available (15 min), but of course, when done, user should remember to reset APO to its preferred, shorter value, in order to conserve battery life.

After power-down/up, the MFA position is again at its default (centered) location in the viewfinder screen

Manual p. 137 describes a sub-menu setting for MFA, but this setting was not found.

jwcane

The self timer (ST) can be set at 2 or 12 s., just as in the M9. However, as the manual states, the setting is not persistent. This means that, for every shot in a series, the direction pad has to be operated 2-3 times to select the function and set the delay time, and then the setting saved by partial shutter pressure (or immediately taking the shot). That sequence is simple enough and can be learned, but (suggestion for Leica) it would be nice to have the option to keep a non-zero ST setting until done with the current shooting sequence.

jwcane

Still getting used to the xVario. Very nice in the hand. Excellent for all kinds of casual and candid shots and in general, also for manually focused close-ups. Still gathering equipment for the latter. Beginning to try it on orchids (my current specialty), and other floral close-ups.

The fixed lens defines this as an alternative to the all-out professional product, but at the same time, it has a lot of important qualities. I’m in process of determining if it will serve my purposes without going to the M-240, which I have on order in case of need.

The electronic viewfinder does away with mechanical mirrors and all the associated overhead, and manual focus assist (MFA) is an excellent focusing aid. This brilliant, new feature first comes to notice when turning the manual focusing ring, but read on.

At a range of about 30 cm there is no difficulty using MFA to refocus on different elements separated by 2 cm in range. Due to the high magnification, there is a degree of noise/jitter in low-contrast areas of the MFA image (even with a tripod), but it does not take long to learn to ignore that. There is no hint of noise in the downloaded, developed image.

MFA shuts down after 3 s., possibly to conserve power(?). It comes right back on after pressing the Delete/Focus (D/F) button. Also, when D/F is pressed, the position of the MFA window is steerable within the limits of the viewfinder, by use of the silver, all-purpose direction pad. Consistent with energy-drain limitations, Leica might consider adding a setting to increase the life of the MFA window.

Leica should add to user’s manual: the “steered” MFA position is persistent shot-to-shot. This is very useful when making multiple shots with a tripod. The way to ensure persistence is to set auto power-off (APO) to a longer time, up to max. available (15 min), but of course, when done, user should remember to reset APO to its preferred, shorter value, in order to conserve battery life.

After power-down/up, the MFA position is again at its default (centered) location in the viewfinder screen

Manual p. 137 describes a sub-menu setting for MFA, but this setting was not found.

garydmorris

I have had my XV for a week now. I was interested in this camera from the time of announcement. The reason is simple: Leica quality glass in a modest zoom and not a shoulder crushing camera body. I was a little disappointed in the zoom range… I’d have liked 90mm instead of the 70mm but that’s just me.

I tried this camera out at the new Leica store in L.A. They were very helpful in letting me take one of the floor cameras out for about a half-hour around the store. I put in an SD card I’d taken with me. When I got home I was very impressed with the image quality of the jpgs. I shot fully auto with whatever settings were in the camera. I did not change anything. The images were the first out of camera I’ve ever shot where I did not feel compelled to tinker even a little in Photoshop.

As for positives of using this camera…

1 AUTOFOCUS! Need I say more? I like my M9 and Leica lenses but sometimes it’s really nice not to have to be so methodical when taking a picture;

2 despite it being a little heavier than my X2 and certainly not heavier than my M9 (with either a 28mm Summicron or 75mm Summicron on the M9 to get the same range as the XV) this camera is very comfortable in the hand. I also bought the black leather protector and found it makes holding the camera better (the little extra size and grip improved my holding the camera);

3 this camera has to weigh around a pound and using my Canon 5DM2 and a similar lens the weight would be around four pounds… BIG DIFFERENCE! When traveling this is the difference between taking a single camera along or taking two cameras along. My M9 with Noctilux plus the XV are still lighter than the Canon 5DM2 and similar lenses (50 1.2L and 24-70 f4 L);

4 the lens speed has not been an issue AT ALL! ISO up to 1600 is the same as ISO at 200; I see no difference. Even at ISO 3200 the grain is almost unnoticeable;

5 finally, the EVF is a perfect substitute for me vs. using the viewfinder of a dSLR. I’ve read some people complain about the low dot-count of the Leica/Olympus EVF but I’ve not had any kind of issue with the EVF display.

There are a few negatives…

1 this camera is a little front-heavy. When I put it down on a table and particularly since I’ve put the black leather protector on, the camera tips forward. I have not felt this too much when holding the camera taking pictures but I am aware of it when holding it (if that makes sense);

2 the zoom ring should be the ring closest to the camera body. why? because most of the time this camera will be used with auto focus and not manual focus and using the zoom will likely be used much more than focusing; the ergonomics are more natural with the zoom ring closet to where one holds the camera. at least this is how I use the camera;

3 if the camera autofocus misses then it seems like the camera just tunes out. One has to let go of the focus/shutter button and start the autofocus process all over again. Typically on an autofocus camera such as my X2 you only have to move the camera a little left or right while still holding the button partially down to lock onto something. I find the XV behavior a little annoying;

4 i like to move the focus square around and I do this by pressing the Focus/Delete button. On my X2 with the EVF attached if I press this button, then in the EVF I see the focus square with the little red arrows and I can move the square around while still looking through the EVF. However, on the XV with the EVF attached and I press the Focus/Delete button to move the focus square around, the EVF goes dark and all the activity has to take place on the LCD, thus causing me to take the camera away from my eye and transition into futz-mode. Very distracting! Can we say firmware upgrade issue?!

5 Finally, here’s my #1 complaint… on my lowly (at least for Leica and not counting their Panasonic clones) X2 the ISO is displayed on the screen when I look through the EVF. On the XV it is not. It’s a freaking computer! I don’t like it when the programmers take something away! I can say this because I’ve been a programmer since 1974 and I know how users react when they don’t get what they expected. This is clearly a firmware upgrade issue.

All told, this is a pretty cool little camera. It’s Leica so price shouldn’t even be taken into consideration and all the internet commenters who focus on price and red dots and their aversion to luxury goods and other misinformed objections can curl up with a good Fuji manual and read themselves to sleep. Buy this camera and enjoy it or buy something else, but stop complaining about the camera.

jwcane

Could not reproduce Garydmorris’s reported behavior (blanking of manual-focus-assist window when pressing D/F). Could you share more details about how/when this happens? For me, pressing D/F, before or after focusing, works fine, without any blanking of the EVF or LCD display (whichever is in use).

I have S/N 4707874, purchased in Germany in early July, in case that matters.

Only complaint is that the MFA window goes out a bit too soon. Would love to have a setting for lifetime of the MFA window. This would be especially useful when setting range, then moving camera until image is sharp, etc.

Re:/ tipping forward, you’re right, that is due to bottom-thickness of carrying case. I guess the tipping is caused by the combination of light body weight + multi-element zoom lens. Bare camera has true-upright support from both the lens and bottom of case, and cannot tip. I keep mine in a custom-made, padded, felt-lined leather container, removing it only for use, etc.

garydmorris

jwcane;4910 wrote: Could not reproduce Garydmorris’s reported behavior (blanking of manual-focus-assist window when pressing D/F). Could you share more details about how/when this happens? For me, pressing D/F, before or after focusing, works fine, without any blanking of the EVF or LCD display (whichever is in use).

I have S/N 4707874, purchased in Germany in early July, in case that matters.

Only complaint is that the MFA window goes out a bit too soon. Would love to have a setting for lifetime of the MFA window. This would be especially useful when setting range, then moving camera until image is sharp, etc.

Re:/ tipping forward, you’re right, that is due to bottom-thickness of carrying case. I guess the tipping is caused by the combination of light body weight + multi-element zoom lens. Bare camera has true-upright support from both the lens and bottom of case, and cannot tip. I keep mine in a custom-made, padded, felt-lined leather container, removing it only for use, etc.

Actually, this has nothing to do with manual focus. First, you’ve got to have the EVF (Leica or Olympus) installed. Then, set both of the dials on top of the camera to “A” (or in my case I usually have the speed to A and the f to 8 or 11). Then press and hold the Delete/Focus button until the small box in the center (or wherever you’ve place the box previously) acquires the four red directional arrows.

On my X2 if the EVF is active the EVF display will show the small box with the red arrows. However, on my XV, the EVF display will become black and the image transferred to the LCD display so that one can move the little box around.

After moving the little box around and then pressing the shutter button to accept the movement, the LCD goes black and the information is now displayed on the EVF.

I noticed this on the XV I tried in the Leica store as well as the XV I bought. I’ve tried a few X2s and they all work as I’ve described how mine does; which is different than the XV for the same operation. I like how the X2 works and would like to see a firmware update so the XV works as the X2 does in this situation.

jwcane

garydmorris;4931 wrote: Actually, this has nothing to do with manual focus. First, you’ve got to have the EVF (Leica or Olympus) installed. Then, set both of the dials on top of the camera to “A” (or in my case I usually have the speed to A and the f to 8 or 11). Then press and hold the Delete/Focus button until the small box in the center (or wherever you’ve place the box previously) acquires the four red directional arrows.

On my X2 if the EVF is active the EVF display will show the small box with the red arrows. However, on my XV, the EVF display will become black and the image transferred to the LCD display so that one can move the little box around.

After moving the little box around and then pressing the shutter button to accept the movement, the LCD goes black and the information is now displayed on the EVF.

I noticed this on the XV I tried in the Leica store as well as the XV I bought. I’ve tried a few X2s and they all work as I’ve described how mine does; which is different than the XV for the same operation. I like how the X2 works and would like to see a firmware update so the XV works as the X2 does in this situation.

OK now I’m with you.

This is actually my first time using the Delete/Focus function with xVario in auto focus mode. But I’m not seeing any blanking of the LCD when selecting location of autofocus window. My Leica EVF has a little button which serves to transfer the active image from EVF to LCD and back again. That is the only way that I can make one or the other display go blank. Question: was your EVF attachment made by Leica or Olympus?

2nd question: is it possible to focus on the desired element, apply partial shutter pressure, then reframe the shot before taking it? Would that avoid need to relocate focusing window?

mbenphoto

David Farkas;4880 wrote: Anyone have the X Vario? Curious to hear user feedback.

Please post positives, not-so-positives and any suggested firmware changes you may have based on actual use.

Thanks!

Hello David,

after having used the XV for a couple weeks, I have some comments on improvements I would like to see:

1. Improve autofocus consistency and operational speed. I believe some code optimization can do the trick.

2. Add focus peaking. As implemented, mf assist is of limited use due to lcd grain and flickering. Displaying some red contrast highlights should not be difficult, Fuji did that months after cameras release.

3. Add AE lock. Having only AF + AE lock via half shutter press looks a huge limitation to me, preventing flexible metering. Even basic compacts have an exposure lock feature. Without AE lock the camera stays more in the “toy territory”. The unused “down” on the direction pad could lock exposure, either as “press & hold” or “on / off”.

4. Improve shutter speed selection. Having full stops shutter speed selection is rather limiting with a slow lens. Also given that the aperture is set in stop thirds. My last camera allowing only full speed stops was the MP. When shutter dial is not in the 1+ position, the thumb wheel could allow to select stop thirds.

5. Fix auto iso. Slowest speed up to 1/30″ is useless. I would go up to 1/500.

6. Allow direct access to exposure compensation via the thumb wheel.

7. Add dng only option. Also with lossless compression.

8. Allow magnified images comparison. Do not know, maybe WB key + thumbwheel during magnified review.

9. Allow auto-iso in manual mode (Fuji’s do that), with exposure compensation active (Nikon’s do that). If I correctly remember, the M9 had that. Not the 240, though.

10. “Free” the camera during file saving time. It freezes “Fuji X100 fashion”.

11. A general “speed up” is needed: start-up, shut down, focus, missed focus recovery, file save, image review (why not pixel access at 100% – mistery).

As it is, the XV has a huge potential, since the image quality can be excellent, but it looks “half baked”, like Leica intentionally wanted it to limp.

I hope they will fix it sooner than later, or at least give a signal that they are working on improvements.

Best regards,

Mauro

dalethorn

It’s a good time for an update. My MM is waiting for a lens, so I’ve been using the XV for a week. First impression from latest use: It’s a Leica, it’s reasonably light, very handy, has a great zoom lens, image quality bests everything I’ve used that’s digital, and it can be slow at times, particularly when the lens is extended. If I hadn’t gotten the MM recently, I would be carrying the XV and D-Lux6 everywhere.

jwcane

Recently returning to waterfall photography. Those are very tricky. I need to capture light from various parts, some quite distant. Spot-metering on the xV is helpful for this, but would be more effective if the spot can be reduced in size, and made circular/elliptical instead of or in addition to rectangular, vertical or horizontal orientation, etc.

Believe this can be done with firmware. If it can, please add this request to the queue.

David, would be great if we can see some feedback from you and/or Leica about this and other requests on this forum, some idea of likelihood of seeing an update anytime soon, etc.

Expect a lot of this forum content will apply to the M-240 as well.

jwcane

Spot size might be OK – more to follow.

mbenphoto

David Farkas;4880 wrote: Anyone have the X Vario? Curious to hear user feedback.

Thanks!

Hello David,

do you have any news from Leica ?

I am about to give up on the X Vario: as it is now, it does not fit my shooting style.

Too bad, the camera has huge potential but its 360° slowness is really frustrating.

Another weekend and, if I do not come to terms with the XV, then it’s ebay time.

M

Clovis

Thanks!

David, please I NEED help! I am traveling to USA and plan to buy my first Leica. BH only has Olympus VF2 silver color in stock. Please could you tell what another VF works with Leica X Vario apart from the expensive Leica EVF?
    Thanks
    Clovis

Andrew

I’ve been using the X Vario for about a year and generally am satisfied with it. Image quality leaves nothing to be desired, and in fact its only weakness as a travel camera is its maximum aperture that makes it difficult to use in low light.

The X113 (and now the Q) solved that problem, but of course it doesn’t have the versatility of a zoom lens. I bought the X113 to supplement my X Vario, but I am now selling the X Vario as I find the X113 to be a better travel camera in about 85% of situations, and I’ve come to the point where I don’t need to cover most focal lengths in a casual use camera. When versatility is needed I’ll bring my M-E and a few lenses.

dalethorn

“I’ve been using the X Vario for about a year and generally am satisfied with it. Image quality leaves nothing to be desired, and in fact its only weakness as a travel camera is its maximum aperture that makes it difficult to use in low light. The X113 (and now the Q) solved that problem, but of course it doesn’t have the versatility of a zoom lens. I bought the X113 to supplement my X Vario, but I am now selling the X Vario as I find the X113 to be a better travel camera in about 85% of situations, and I’ve come to the point where I don’t need to cover most focal lengths in a casual use camera. When versatility is needed I’ll bring my M-E and a few lenses.”

—————

That’s my experience as well.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.