- In reply to: David Farkas wrote a new post, Breakfast with Dr. Andreas Kaufmann Staying in the same hotel as the Chairman of the Board of Leica during Photokina has its benefits. After the Leica joint press event prior to the show opening, I was sitting in my hotel lobby and chatting on the […] View
This was a good read. Lots of between the lines nuggets of info. For instance, I believe I had read some time ago that Leica’s lens designer felt his lenses were good for up to 200MP sensors. Dr. K. seems to indicate half or a little less than half.
- In reply to: Kirsten Vignes wrote a new post, What’s In Our Camera Bags - 2019 Edition Last spring, my colleagues and I at Leica Store Miami published an article called What’s in Our Camera Bags, where we individually laid out our gear bags and showed you how and what we shoot. Since then, a lot h […] View
This was excellent. Thanks so much for taking the time to provide your insights.
- In reply to: David Farkas wrote a new post, Leica CL Review: The Perfect Travel Camera When the Leica CL was introduced a little over a year ago, the APS-C mirrorless camera joined an already full Leica roster, sharing many similarities with its siblings. Functionally equivalent to the then very […] View
This has to be one of the most, if not the most, comprehensive review I’ve read of any camera (not just a Leica camera). To say well done is an understatement. Thanks!
- In reply to: David Farkas wrote a new post, Photokina 2018: The Leica CL and Future of APS-C Leica officially announced the CL, Silver Anodized this week at Photokina. And while functionally identical to the original all-black CL, the silver does look quite nice and offer a little refresh to the camera. […] View
Thanks for this. I like my CL. My only complaint (are you reading Leica) is the inability to turn off Long Exposure Noise Reduction. I’ve looked and not found a way. Otherwise the compact TL lenses are a pleasure to carry around (relatively light weight) and have pretty good image quality (not M-good but to me as good as the Q when I owned…[Read more]
- In reply to: David Farkas wrote a new post, Photokina 2018: Details on the L-Mount Alliance Following the announcement of the L-Mount Alliance at the Leica press event preceding the start of Photokina, there seemed to be more questions than answers. How did such an alliance come to be? How much […] View
Thanks for this reporting. I know it takes money and time to make this sort of trip, conduct interviews, and write this info up.
I had an SL at one time. This excites me to maybe get an SL again… or wait for SL 2.0. I liked using my TL lenses on the SL despite the crop down to 10MP.
- In reply to: David Farkas wrote a new post, Leica at Photokina 2018: Wrap Up Entering the Koelnmesse for Photokina never loses its excitement, even as I head into my sixth show. The hustle, the bustle, and energy of the show hits you as soon as you weave your way through the crowds of […] View
From your shots it appears that this show is well attended. Is it or are there some vendor areas that are substantially more crowded than others?
Were you able to get any sense in the L Mount meeting whether or not a new SL is around the corner or the current model has some more years left? The current trade-in discount could be interpreted…[Read more]
- In reply to: Luis Mora wrote a new post, Using M Lenses on the Leica CL:
New City, New Camera, Familiar Glass I’m never without a camera on my shoulder. No camera, no pictures. Everyday moments are there to be captured, and I’m always ready. Some mornings, that familiar analog itch hits. I grab my trusty, battle-worn M6, […] View
I enjoyed reading this. I particularly like the rich saturated colors. I have a CL and the M-to-L adapter but have not tried any M glass yet. Maybe a 21 M lens is in my future.
garydmorris commented on the post, Two Weeks in India with the Leica CL: Getting out of my Comfort Zone 1 year, 1 month agoIn reply to: Kirsten Vignes wrote a new post, Two Weeks in India with the Leica CL: Getting out of my Comfort Zone “Do you want to go to India?”“What are you talking about, dad?” I half-laughed through the phone.My father, a recently-ordained pastor, eagerly explained that he’d been invited to India to speak at a few […] View
I enjoyed reading of your adventures in India. I had a similar out-of-comfort-zone experience. In 2004-2005 while my father was still alive, I traveled with him on his work in Ho Chi Minh City Viet Nam. Over 15 months we made four trips there, each 3-4 weeks in duration. We’d take weekend trips to China (Shanghai and Beijing), Cambodia (Angkor…[Read more]
- In reply to: David Farkas wrote a new post, Thoughts on the Next Generation Leica S With the recent string of successful camera and lens introductions over the past few years, Leica has made the process of choosing a camera much more difficult. In the not-so-distant past, certain individual […] View
I have owned the SL (now sold) and I have an S006. Since owning both camera types, I have felt that the future would be a merger of the two systems. SL body and 4K or 5K EVF with S-size sensor. Lenses from the SL and the S via adapters on this new, unified body (that is if Leica ever ships any more SL lenses; otherwise the S lenses are more…[Read more]
- In reply to: David Farkas wrote a new post, Leica Q (Typ 116) Review: A Full-Frame Mini M Back when the X Vario was introduced and initially teased as a mini M, many were disappointed. The X Vario (Typ 107) ended up being a great camera, an X with a zoom, and a stellar zoom lens at that, but certainly […] View
I had the M9 + Noct combo for three years. Setting aside the price aspect, the Noct is a great lens at f5.6 and an amazing lens at f.95. However, at f.95, the Noct is very hard to focus and even more difficult in low light… the depth of field is so shallow (focus on the bridge of someones nose and their lips are out of focus) that for me focus s…[Read more]
jwcane;4910 wrote: Could not reproduce Garydmorris’s reported behavior (blanking of manual-focus-assist window when pressing D/F). Could you share more details about how/when this happens? For me, pressing D/F, before or after focusing, works fine, without any blanking of the EVF or LCD display (whichever is in use).
I have S/N 4707874,…
I have a D-Lux 6 (for about 3 months as of this writing). I recently took it with me as a third camera on a trip to Paris with the wife. I say third camera because I had my M9 and X2 as primary cameras. Anyway, I was shooting with the DL6 inside the Louvre and in the space of about one hour, on four separate occasions other people roaming the…[Read more]
I have had my XV for a week now. I was interested in this camera from the time of announcement. The reason is simple: Leica quality glass in a modest zoom and not a shoulder crushing camera body. I was a little disappointed in the zoom range… I’d have liked 90mm instead of the 70mm but that’s just me.
I tried this camera out at the new L…[Read more]