Discussion Forum Leica S System S Lenses Anyone using Variable NDs on the S lenses?
    fotografz

I’m thinking of getting a 72 and 82mm variable ND for use on the S lenses.

One reason is to counter-act the effect of the 1/125 sync speed when working with off-camera strobes. I’d like to use wider apertures for this work to limit DOF, but would need to cut the ambient when working at a fixed 1/125th. Variable versions would allow
    better control of which f/stop to use.

Any experience with these? I’m willing to accept some image degradation since the S IQ is so good to start with, I’m surmising that the impact would be acceptable.

Also wondering how thin the filter has to be to avoid vignetting on the S-35mm?

Thanks,

-Marc

Jack MacD

Marc,
    Everyone who was on the New England Fall trip with David worked with ND and variable ND. They were so valuable, every one bought into David’s system. I suspect he will be answering you too. But from a user perspective there was no vignetting issue with the 35 using screw in polarizing and ND filters. We also used David’s “external” system for ND and variable ND, with no vignetting and which can be viewed here:
    http://www.dalephotoanddigital.com/_e/Kits/product/68-885603/Schneider_Landscape_Control_Kit_4x5_65.htm

The plus of this system is one set of filters can be used on all lenses with a simple adaptor. The glass quality of the filters is great. Totally different than plastic or resin.
    If you use it on a 120mm, you need a filter spacer which Josh sold me.

Hope this helps
    Jack

Cam Garner

I use the Singh-Ray variable ND filters all the time. They make a thin version in additional to their regular version and neither causes vignetting on the 35mm.

Josh Lehrer

I used the Kenko NDX Variable ND filter on our New England Fall Foliage workshop with excellent results. Check out this thread for a few images.

woodyspedden

Cam Garner;1983 wrote: I use the Singh-Ray variable ND filters all the time. They make a thin version in additional to their regular version and neither causes vignetting on the 35mm.

My experience as well. Singh Ray is a great company and Ray Singh a true gentleman

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.