Discussion Forum Leica M System Leica M (Typ 240) Comprehensive report on new Leica M from Photokina 2012
    David Farkas

Took me a while, but I just published my impressions of the new Leica M from the Day 1 of Photokina.

Photokina 2012 Day 1 – The Leica M

I’m going back in a few hours, so if you have questions, please post them. I’ll do my best to inquire on your behalf.

Going to sleep now. 🙂

Jonathan SlackAvatar photo

Hi There David
    Excellent report – I learned lots from it.
    One point is that the official dimensions are making the M 5mm thicker than the M9 – this is creating quite a lot of grumpiness on the net. My impression is that this is mostly due to the thumb grip, might be worth comparing the real width of the baseplate from an M with that from an M9?

Whatever – it’s clear that the M is the star of photokina, not withstanding sony bling from hasselblad 🙂

Enjoy the rest of your stay, I was really sorry not to be able to make it.

all the very best
    Jonathan Slack

rmviet

HI, David,
    best report on the Leica M so far.
    Why did they keep that big red dot on the front of the camera, the M9-P is soo elegant without it?… I regret the absence of the illuminating frame which ix part of the smart design of all Ms so far.
    And they did not mind keeping the thickness of previous digital Ms. The MP and M7 are so much more pleasant to handle…
    The R ring is a very good thing but there are other rings on the market for other makes and the M could become host to so many good lenses…
    Keep up the good work…
    Richard

David Farkas

rmviet;3193 wrote: HI, David,
    best report on the Leica M so far.
    Why did they keep that big red dot on the front of the camera, the M9-P is soo elegant without it?… I regret the absence of the illuminating frame which ix part of the smart design of all Ms so far.
    And they did not mind keeping the thickness of previous digital Ms. The MP and M7 are so much more pleasant to handle…
    The R ring is a very good thing but there are other rings on the market for other makes and the M could become host to so many good lenses…
    Keep up the good work…
    Richard

Just as a follow-up, I put both base plates (M and M-E) on top of each other. The M plate is maybe a mm thicker. Overall, when comparing cameras, the M is slightly thinner when measuring from the lens mount to the surface of the rear LCD.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.