Discussion Forum Leica S System S Lenses Do you use filters to protect the front element?
    stephan

Seen the price of the lenses, I thought it would be a good idea to use some UV-filters and bought some nice Zeiss-Filters.

But are those filters really needed and don’t they spoil the image quality (a little)? As far as I understood, the S2 lenses have a special anti-dirt treatment of the front-element, and this also is integrated in optical calculation.

So maybe the idea is not that good?

David Farkas

stephan;1420 wrote: Seen the price of the lenses, I thought it would be a good idea to use some UV-filters and bought some nice Zeiss-Filters.

But are those filters really needed and don’t they spoil the image quality (a little)? As far as I understood, the S2 lenses have a special anti-dirt treatment of the front-element, and this also is integrated in optical calculation.

So maybe the idea is not that good?

Stephan,

While you certainly can use filters to protect the S lenses, I haven’t found it needed. The AquaDura coating on the front element is pretty strong and does resist dust and water. On the 70mm, I’d strongly recommend not using a clear or UV filter. The 70mm has a clear, thick protective filter as part of its design already built-in. The front element is acutally the one you see moving inside when you focus. If you use a filter on the lens, you’ll have two flat pieces of glass with air space in-between – a recipe for some pretty nasty flare when shooting towards the sun.

Personally, I only use circular polarizing filters and Schneider 4″ glass filters for ND and GND on my S lenses.

Bob Moore

David,

Are you using the Lee system for the 4″ filters?

Thanks,

Bob

David Farkas

Bob Moore;1424 wrote: David,

Are you using the Lee system for the 4″ filters?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

I use the Schneider system, which uses Schott optical glass filters rather than plastic resin. I am extremely pleased with the quality of these. Here is a link to the 4″ filter system on our site:

http://www.dalephotoanddigital.com/_e/gdept/12-008/4_inch_Filter_System.htm

rgk

David Farkas;1425 wrote: Bob,

I use the Schneider system, which uses Schott optical glass filters rather than plastic resin. I am extremely pleased with the quality of these. Here is a link to the 4″ filter system on our site:

http://www.dalephotoanddigital.com/_e/gdept/12-008/4_inch_Filter_System.htm

What is the advantage of using the Schneider system over screw in filters? Thank you.

David Farkas

rgk;1427 wrote: What is the advantage of using the Schneider system over screw in filters? Thank you.

Screw-in filters are useful for circular ploarizers or UV filters where the effect is across the entire image. A graduated ND filter (GND) needs to slide up and down in order to position it for optimal effect, so the rectangular form factor is better. You can use a solid ND in screw-in style, but you won’t be able to see through the viewfinder for composition or focusing. A square drop in filter lets you insert the filter quickly and easily after you’ve framed and focused your shot.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.