rudlinfineart

I read that the EYE-FI PRO X2 card (specifically that model) will transfer raw files.
    But, I was just told that it would NOT work with the S2 because the metal body
    blocked the signal. While I am pleased to hear that the body is that “solid”, I am
    disappointed that this is not a convenient way to connect the S2 directly to a computer
    or ipad in the field.

However, I recall reading on this forum, that someone HAD used the Eye-Fi card in a
    S2. If anyone has done so successfully, and transferred RAW files, please let me know
    either by posting a response here, or by private message. THANKS!
    craig

David Farkas

rudlinfineart;2004 wrote: I read that the EYE-FI PRO X2 card (specifically that model) will transfer raw files.
    But, I was just told that it would NOT work with the S2 because the metal body
    blocked the signal. While I am pleased to hear that the body is that “solid”, I am
    disappointed that this is not a convenient way to connect the S2 directly to a computer
    or ipad in the field.

However, I recall reading on this forum, that someone HAD used the Eye-Fi card in a
    S2. If anyone has done so successfully, and transferred RAW files, please let me know
    either by posting a response here, or by private message. THANKS!
    craig

Craig,

The Eye-Fi card works fine in the S2. You can transfer DNG files from the camera, but it is pretty slow (~30-45 sec/DNG). More are using the the Eye-Fi card to transfer a basic JPG while recording the the DNG to the CF card.

Mark Gowin

Joe had a pretty slick setup on the New England Fall Foilage trip where he used an eye-fi card to transmitt jpgs from the S2 to his iPad. It worked great and it was much easier using the iPad to check framing for landscape photography. He explains his setup here:

http://www.reddotforum.com/showthread.php/232-S2-Images-to-iPad

I know you were ascking about thrasfering raw files, but thought this might be interesting to you as well.

Al Tanabe

This really intrigued me, enough to take the plunge and purchase the Eye-Fi Pro card and give it a try myself. I put it through the test with my S2, M9, X1 and Canon S95 all tethered to my iPhone4. In all cases it succeeded in transferring JPEG files to the iPhone4. I tried a long range test just to see what would happen to the download and with the S2 in another room, 30 feet away, the capture speed was not impaired in any way. It will also transmit DNG files but for the sake of storage and sanity, I chose to only transmit JPEG.

Why I chose my iPhone was because I do not have an iPad – yet. My iPhone4 is configured to Photostream images to my account so the side benefit of this is the ability for anyone I choose to access my images from anywhere. If I do get an Pad, I will configure it to do the same.

Configuring the S2 is very simple, choose Data Storage as Parallel then select File Format as DNG+JPEG, the DNG files will store on the CF card and the JPEGs on the Eye-Fi SD card. When the Eye-Fi card fills up, just format the SD card and continue shooting. For the M9 or other cameras with only one card slot, selecting DNG+JPEG will reduce the number of captures on the 8 gb card and will not be very useful for heavy shooters. Again, as David said earlier, the download of DNGs is rather slow, about 20 seconds.

Where I see a great application for this is for event shooters where you can capture the JPEGs and display them almost instantaneously. I used my iPhone, but this can also transmit to any WiFi enabled device such as a laptop computer. Now wedding shooters will also need a digital assistant in addition to a shooting assistant for events.

Yes, the S2 can be shot tethered, but this is wireless and if transmitting to an iPad, can be used to check images on a high quality, large display. The iPad could live in the shoulder bag and capture in real time so images can be evaluated for sharpness and composition on the spot.

Now I have an excuse to get an iPad 😎

Mark Gowin

Hey Al,

You did a good job of procrastinating on getting an iPad till now. However, now that the “new iPad” is out and you can see the benefit with the EyeFi card, resistance is futile.

Al Tanabe

Mark,
    You guys said that about the S2 a little over a year ago and I succeeded to resist for about a week 😀

aboudd

I assume this would work with a macbook air?

Al Tanabe

aboudd;2093 wrote: I assume this would work with a macbook air?

Aboud,
    I loaded the app onto my Mac Book Pro and it worked there. The images on the card will queue up if connection is lost and load when connection is reestablished. I have found that connection can be lost if the camera goes into sleep mode and the Eye-Fi app needs to reconnect the WiFi. The biggest problem is a lost connection when you enter a known Wi-Fi network like at home. The Pro card transfers both dng and jpg files and can be configured to just transmit one or both. I have it just transfer the jpg files when it is the only card such as the case with the M9.

-Al

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.