Discussion Forum Leica Compact Digital Cameras Images to Share First images with the Leica X-E (purch. Aug. 2016)
    dalethorn

New camera, Leica X-E. Introduced in 2014, replacement for X1/X2. I had the X1 in 2010, now the X-E – APS-C, fixed lens with 35 mm equiv. focal length.

1) Just another sunset photo. Note to self: Use spot focus or manual focus on landscapes.
    2) This one failed per the above note, but I kept it anyway.
    3) Shot through the thick front window glass, which makes the colors a bit ragged. Why shoot from outside? No hassle, no questions that way.
    4) This is one of my favorite image types, similar to the ‘home sweet home’ motif. ISO 800 worked OK in fairly dim light, but being a JPEG-only image you can see the noise pretty well.

f5.0, 1/80 handheld, ISO 200.

f5.0, 1/2000 handheld, ISO 200.

f5.0, 1/80 handheld, ISO 200.

f5.0, 1/30 handheld, ISO 800.

Attachments:
    Doug

I had not heard of the X-E camera, thanks, good to know they’re continuing a fixed-focal lens model.
    I like your clean interiors, well-lit, nice tonality. And the sunset of course has a great sky. The bridge photo seems to need something more, and the greens don’t look, well, “green” enough! Maybe some magenta in there dulling the color?

Best wishes
    Doug

dalethorn

Thanks! Shooting JPEG-only has its disadvantages of course – with the bridge photo, I abandoned realism so I could turn an out-of-focus image into some kind of “art”, so no hope there. I’ll get a better one eventually.

dalethorn

Two more – the famous bridge from a distance at night, f2.8, 1 second, ISO 400. I cropped 10 pct. from the left and 5 pct. from the right, but there is still noticeable coma on the lights. On the left side, I masked out the coma somewhat. Still, it’s no worse than the Noctilux lens shooting it at widest aperture. The second item are the Irish figurines at a local restaurant, f5.0, 1/25 handheld, ISO 800. Handholding with no image stabilization works OK when shooting bursts. Since the X-E doesn’t have conventional IS, I just keep its ‘IS’ setting off.

Bridge

Figurines

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by  dalethorn.
    dalethorn

Fashion Display, f5.0, 1/25 sec. braced against window, ISO 800.
    Fashion

Inventory day, f5.0, 1/100 sec. braced against window, ISO 800.
    Inventory

Inventory day, f5.0, 1/50 sec. braced against window, ISO 800.
    Inventory

dalethorn

Leica X-E, f5.0, 1/30 handheld, ISO 800.
    Church

Leica X-E, f5.0, 1/2000 handheld, ISO 200.
    Wetland

dalethorn

Two perspectives of historic St. Philips church in Charleston SC:

f5.6, 1/1000 sec. handheld, ISO 200.
    Church

f5.6, 1/1000 sec. handheld, ISO 200.
    Church

dalethorn

Portraits in the Coffee Shop:

f2.8, 1/6 sec. handheld burst, ISO 200.
    Portrait

f2.8, 1/60 sec. handheld, ISO 800.
    Portrait

dalethorn

This one was a 20-minute wait after sunset watching the clouds and colors develop. I know some cameras have scene modes for sunsets, but even when I use a camera that has those, I’ve found I get better results just waiting and shooting a few, and occasionally the light and texture just pop on their own. I cropped it vertically where the sky above was not contributing to the scene. I used manual focus, since the X-E or X2 don’t autofocus properly in many landscapes. And there’s an issue with manual focus I’ll post elsewhere.

Sunset

dalethorn

Leica X2 Paul Smith ed:

My hometown at dusk, 30 August 2016, Akron Ohio, Main street. f5.6, 1/160, ISO 200. It’s amazing that with a 33 percent reduction in population since 1980, and 66 percent reduction in income, that they are able to keep the city clean. I suppose the feds prop it up.

Main St.

dalethorn

Two more from the X2 Paul Smith ed.:

Charleston College.
    College

Cuyahoga Valley Wetland.
    Wetland

dalethorn

Leica X2: Two very large and significant buildings in Northern Ohio, Akron and Alliance:

1) Glamorgan Castle, built by immigrants in the mid-1800s and donated to the city’s board of education in the 1950s – it’s a real castle by construction and furnishing standards, made for one non-royal family. It was here circa 1999 that I fired the board members as a gag (bit of a story to that).

2) The Goodyear Airdock, for more than 50 years the largest building of its type in the world. My grandfathers helped build the largest airships ever made in the U.S., inside this building. Now owned by Lockheed I think. The low flat foreground building, built in the 1970s, masks the size of the hangar visually, which had an astounding presence prior to the new building being there. I observed the same effect when the CN tower was erected in Toronto in the mid 1970s – when surrounding buildings were added later, the dizzying effect of seeing the tower from across the street no longer had that effect.

Leica X-E, f5.6, 1/640 sec. handheld, ISO 200.
    Castle

Leica X-E, f8.0, 1/800 sec. handheld, ISO 200.
    Hangar

dalethorn

Glamorgan Castle, right side, f5.6, 1/640, ISO 200.

Castle

dalethorn

NOTE: After posting any image, I get a blank white screen. I click refresh which gives me a resubmit option. I click Submit and get an error post, following the correct post that I didn’t see because of the white screen.

dalethorn

Glamorgan Castle, Alliance Ohio, left corner view:

Castle

dalethorn

Historic Circular Church and portion of cemetery, Charleston SC.

Leica X2, f5.6, 1/60 sec. handheld, ISO 200.
    Church

dalethorn

From a ‘Mini’ car club meet today – note the customizations on the car.

Leica X2, f5.6, 1/320 handheld, ISO 200.
    Mini Car

dalethorn

One of my favorite diners to photograph. The photographer is in the mirror.

Diner

dalethorn

The ‘Pipes’ band played a nice selection of Irish and Scottish music. The lighting seemed to favor a little too much blue, or maybe that impression is driven by the costumes. — I’ve tried the photo of the church from the lot 2 blocks away many times, and never kept any, due to the clutter in the parking lot. This time I cropped more of the irrelevant stuff from the bottom, and I think it looks a little weird, but I really wanted to have this view, so I’ll see how I like it down the road.

Leica X2 Paul Smith edition, f5.6, 1/320 handheld, ISO 200.
    Pipes

Leica X2 Paul Smith edition, f5.6, 1/1600 handheld, ISO 200.
    Church

dalethorn

A view through the windscreen while cruising I-77 in Virginia USA.

I-77

dalethorn

No. 1 my favorite art gallery, having watched the master (Reinert) work his way from very good ca. 2010 to master craftsman today. No. 2, a self confident cat guarding an elegant estate in the historic district. This was a heavy crop, from 16 to ~2.5 mp.

Leica X2 Paul Smith edition, f5.6, 1/25 sec. handheld, ISO 400.
    Art gallery

Leica X2 Paul Smith edition, f5.6, 1/80 sec. handheld, ISO 200.
    Cat

dalethorn

Hurricane evacuation from Charleston SC – this image was taken through a hotel window in Greensboro NC, 300 miles distant. It was grey, very wet, and the image quality suffered from the combination of effects.

Greensboro

dalethorn

A couple of street scenes, one a drawing on the side of an alley next to a door, easy to miss, looks like Val Kilmer (not sure). The actors were working on a commercial of some kind, moving down the street pretty quickly.

Leica X2 Paul Smith edition, f8.0, 1/60 sec. handheld, ISO 200.
    Graffiti

Leica X2 Paul Smith edition, f5.6, 1/1000 handheld, ISO 200.
    Actors

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.