Discussion Forum General Discussion General Leica Discussion Leica Q-P repeated freezing/crashing issues!!
    samundar

New to Leica world, still getting used to some quirky menu/interface things after shooting years on Fuji and Canon. Nothing I wasn’t expecting. And I’m really happy with the images I’m getting … when I can get them. I’ve had my Leica QP about 3 weeks and I have to say, the daily freezing/crashing has me pulling my hair out. Is this normal for Leica digital cameras? This can’t be normal. While the images are wonderful, the performance is so finicky I could never use this camera reliably on a work project.

My experience so far, is I’ll be shooting normally (single shots, street and candid portrait) and then it just freezes up. At first I thought it was just taking a little longer to write to the card, but on trial/error I found when this happens it never resolves and I have to take the battery out to restart. Not the end of the world if it happened very occasionally. But sometimes it keeps the image, and sometimes it doesn’t.

Last night I was taking some candid portraits of my kids, nothing taxing, and in a 10 minute period it froze/crashed 6 times. If I was 14 I would have thrown it across the room and written off Leica for good. But I’m 41, so I just thought about it and took a very deep breath.

Any other Q or QP owners having these issues? I’m going to reach out to B&H today about returning it. To have it crash repeatedly under the most mundane and normal “every day” shooting situations is mind boggling. Leica, if you’re reading, I really want to love this camera…but so far it’s been 20 percent joy 80 percent PITA.

ergun

I had purchased a Leica Q-P round about the same time as yours. I have had exactly the same problem from the beginning, although initially happened very rarely. Nowadays (after a year) it is happening more frequently. In June 2019 I sent it to Leica to see if they could reproduce the issue. But they failed and returned the camera with no fix. The fact that you and I purchased it round about the same time points to a manufacturing fault of some sort. I sent follow up emails, but no response from Leica so far. Did you return your camera to B&H eventually?

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  ergun.
    Susanne

Hi there!

Interesting to read. I have the same problem unfortunately. I bought a new Q-P about 2 weeks ago and it froze on me the very first days a couple of times. It’s an awful feeling. I returned it to the store yesterday and now I have to wait for 4-6 weeks to get it back…
    If it’s resolved by then it’s worth waiting for. But I’m feeling sceptical. It’s a wonderful camera in itself, but I could never accept, even if it’s a Leica, that it freezes.
    My intention is to work on projects and I need to be able to trust it. So if it occurs, even once, again I will return it to the shop and get my money back.

ergun

Leica administration kindly responded to my follow up email and the indications are they will be chasing the issue rigorously. On Monday my Q-P camera will be sent to Germany for inspection and hopefully for fixes. @susanne it is worrying that you bought over one year after mine and Q-P still has the same issue.

Leica should chase this up seriously as many people are potentially affected. The fact that freezing is random and replication of it is statistically hard doesn’t mean that it is a fluke. The symptoms experienced by many are identical.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  ergun. Reason: clarification
    Susanne

So both our Q-P´s will be in Germany soon. Do they have a plan I wonder? What I find really strange is that this problem isn´t new, since many Q users seem to have it since they released the camera in 2015. And still they haven´t been able to fix it? If all the users who experienced this only would let Leica know. Surprisingly many seem to accept it because it´s a Leica, just taking out the battery, changing sd cards, changing batteries. I don´t want a delicate camera to baby, I just want it to work. Actually I demand it especially from a Leica. For me it´s much more than that. If this new´loveaffair´ will work Leica needs to work on the trust right now;).
    @ergun, please continue to write in this forum. Hopefully Leica take it seriously and go to the bottom with this problem.

Susanne

Hi @samundar!

It’s more or less a year since you posted about your experience with the Q-P. Did you return it or did you keep it? Or could Leica fix it? A year later I am in the exact same situation and in limbo, waiting to get my camera back…hopefully fully working. But I have my doubts according to many posts in this and other forums. Perhaps you left Leica and this page altogether.

Susanne

Update! (@ergun)

The shop where I bought the camera just called me to say that Leica claims that the camera has some kind of external damage, like it was hit. Now I get really upset! It was without a scratch when I returned it for checkup to Leica. Now they want to give me an offert of the cost of that damage. I didn’t damage it. 118 exposures inside the house. I don’t know what to do. I told the guy in the shop that it was spotless except for the freezing, which is why I bothered to bring it back in the first place. And I get zero support from him. He will send me pictures of the damage, that shall be interesting and will talk to Leica and call me back tomorrow.

ergun

When you lent your camera, they must have given you a Repair and Service Form with product condition section, though I think they only cover minor dents and scratches. I suggest you reach out Leica service management above the store if you have complaints. Also, checking out their Repair and Maintenance site here https://au.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Repair-Maintenance revealed that due to Corona virus outbreak Leica suspended the repair service in Germany. They add “In the event that your product is already in our workshop, please note that processing will be delayed accordingly.” I hope eventually we all see our issues resolved.

Susanne

Long story short. I was in contact with Leica and it seems like the damages are quite severe. They cannot warrantie that the lens will work correctly longterm, batterydoor stuck and so on.
    Finally, the seller said the words: “I took the battery out, I remember doing so”. So the fault is obviously NOT mine, since the batterydoor was fine then.

Leica didn’t cause it according to them and the packaging from the store was intact. I really don’t want that camera back. End of story.

Now it’s up to them to find a solution. I want a new camera or my money back.

Hope you are more lucky!
    Take care.

Susanne

I’m not a Leicaowner anymore. Since the camera had had severe impact I cancelled everything and the store finally had to agree to give me my money back. A really sad story.
    So I can’t say why the camera frooze unfortunately.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.