- May 10, 2012 at 2:29 am #2307Josh LehrerLegendary MemberJoin Date: Aug 2014Posts: 233Currently using:
Leica M, Leica S, Leica CompactOffline
I was unable to resist giving this combination a quick test while we had this rare and unusual lens in the office. The lens itself is 40 inches long, here’s a shot taken with my D-Lux 5 of the Leica R 800mm f/6.3 APO-Telyt-S and Canon 5D Mark II combo:
Next, I pointed the lens towards the sunset-lit scenery that is Hallandale, Florida off of my 20th story balcony:
For reference, I took this quick snapshot with my D-Lux 5 set to simulate a 50mm lens. The white box represents what the 800mm lens saw. What a difference!
Leica made less than 350 of these lenses, and combined with a Novoflex Canon EOS-R adapter and a full frame DSLR (with live view of course!) it makes for quite a potent setup.
- May 10, 2012 at 2:44 pm #2310Al TanabeNew MemberJoin Date: Aug 2014Posts: 151Offline
If I recall correctly, if you bought this lens, Leica would include a VW Bug. I think the price at the time – 1972 was about $18,000 for the lens and $2,000 for the VW.
- May 18, 2012 at 1:24 am #2385Mark GowinFrequent MemberJoin Date: Jan 2011Posts: 253Offline
Whoa! What a lens. Thank you for sharing the photos from and of this lens. I am drooling. Fortunately, it won’t fit my S2 – my wallet is safe.
- May 18, 2012 at 7:31 am #2391Pete WalentinNew MemberJoin Date: Jul 2011Posts: 195Offline
Looks like a weapon. 😉
- May 19, 2012 at 4:34 am #2395ciracrowellFrequent MemberJoin Date: Nov 2011Posts: 18Offline
I have my grandfathers 560mm Telyt-S. Such a treasure.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.