Discussion Forum Leica S System Images to Share New Hampshire Lower Falls Pano
    Mark Gowin

Here is a stich of 9 landscape orientation frames taken with the S2 and 180mm during the NH/VT Fall Foliage S2 Adventure. I don’t care for the brownish coloration of the rocks and water in this location so I converted to B&W using SilverEfex. The attached image is larger than I normally post, but that is what happens when you stitch 9 frames. Overall, I am pleased with the image, but in retrospect I think it would have worked better with portrait orientation images to provide a bit more headroom above the falls.

Al Tanabe

Beautiful Mark, that would make a nice wall mural.

David K

Wow… that’s spectacular. I never got down there I was so busy shooting up top. I think Jack would say…triptych 🙂

David Farkas

Pretty cool, Mark.

You realize that if you printed this 20″ tall, you’d end up with a print 17 feet in length?!

Pete Walentin

Nice!

Jack MacD

David K

You guessed what I would suggest pretty well. However I do quadriptychs too. For Mark’s size image my usual triptych would not work as well.
    Please forgive me Mark for borrowing the image for an example.

You can judge for yourself if the technique is appropriate for this image.

I think each of the individual panels looks great by itself, which is the requirement.
    Of course the original pan is terrific. I don’t think Mark needed more headroom.

The advantage of breaking it up in four parts is two-fold in my mind. First, it is technically easier to have this image produced in four huge sections rather than one super huge. Certainly easier to ship and also to fit in a room. You can turn a corner with this technique.
    Secondly, I think people look more carefully at the image when split into three or four panels.

Wonderful image Mark, B&W was the way to go.

Attached files

Josh Lehrer

Nice shot Mark! I say get the print made! Maybe you can wrap your car with it?

David K

Jack…I like the way this looks when broken up into quarters. And I will confess that I didn’t know the word “quadriptych” existed.

Mark Gowin

Thank you for the kind comments everyone. I was drawn to make the image because the multiple mini falls all on one level made for a rather wide larger overall falls. I didn’t really think about printing the image when I made it. The ratio of this image is not very practical for display except for in a very unique space.

Jack, I like your conversion of the image to a quadriptych.

I made another set of photos of these same falls using the 70mm in portrait orientation and it includes Jack photographing the falls on the right hand side. However, it is going to take a lot of post processing to make that pano work because the dynamic range required multiple exposures for each position to be stitched.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.