Discussion Forum Leica S System S Lenses Schneider 4 Filters on 120mm – + Experience with variable neutral density filters?
    IceMan

Dear all
    Since the front element of the 120mm moves, can you mount a 4″ Filter system on it? If yes with which filter diameter? 72mm or do I need a different setup?

Side question: Anybody have experience with variable neutral density filters (rotate to make darker / lighter? How do they compare quality-wise with the Schneider setup?

Thanks for your help

Regards
    Peter

Mark Gowin

Hi Peter,

I don’t own the 120mm, but as I recall you can use a filter holder on the 120mm if you get the correct size adapter ring. There is an issue when the lens fully retracted and I bet there is a spacer or something available to get around that. Several photographers who attended David’s Fall Foliage trip last year were using the Schneider filter holder (modified Lee holder) and 4″ Schneider filters on their 120mm lenses. I am sure someone with first hand experience will chime in and give you the details.

Mark

David Farkas

IceMan;2074 wrote: Dear all
    Since the front element of the 120mm moves, can you mount a 4″ Filter system on it? If yes with which filter diameter? 72mm or do I need a different setup?

Side question: Anybody have experience with variable neutral density filters (rotate to make darker / lighter? How do they compare quality-wise with the Schneider setup?

Thanks for your help

Regards
    Peter

Peter,

You can indeed mount a 4″ filter holder. I use the Schneider 4″ filter holder with Schneider glass filters.

There is a caveat though. The 120mm mounting ring is recessed a few mm when the lens is focused to infinity. There are two workarounds:

1) If you use a circular polarizer like I do on the lens and mount the filter holder adapter ring to this, there is no issue

2) If you don’t want to use a polarizer, you can take a cheap 72mm filter (any kind) and break the glass out of it. Then you have a spacer ring which will extend the filter thread to the proper position for mounting.

The variable ND filters are okay, but I prefer the quality of the Schneider solid NDs. Also, Schneider just came out with a line of filters, the Platinum IRND, which also filter out the IR as well as visible light. As you put more ND strength in front of the camera, the relative amount of IR increases and can lead to a magenta image cast. The new IRND series are completely neutral.

Hope this helps.

IceMan

Thanks Mark and David for your quick reply 🙂
    Regards
    Peter

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.