Albert Knapp, MDAvatar photo

Over the years, I have purchased LED screen plastic protectors from a company in New Jersey called Screenpatronus http://www.screenpatronus.com/screen-protector-policies.html for my M8, M9P, R8-9 DMRs and most recently my S2. The clear plastic protectors were adverstised as safe and guarranteed against workmanship defects.

I would apply them prior to a trip and then removed them when storing the camera.

I recently returned form 10 days in Icleand with my S2 and found that the protector had left a very perceptable and indellible film on the LED.

I sent the camera to Leica as the film was very obvious and even they could not remove it! I ended up having to replace the LED which cost about $1200.00 (USD)

I contacted Screenpatronus and explained the problem. At first, they stated that I was not in their “customer base” and had never purchased the item from them. I emailed a copy of the purchase order and then they “found me”. I then forwarded a detailed screed stating how and when the protector was applied, how previous protectors ahd never had a problem and, as a physician, how meticulous my technique has and had always bee.. The representative at Screenpatronus eventually responded to my inquiry stating that I had probably misapplied the screen protector and that the film/residue was “my fault”. Furthermore, they stated that I had purchased the product several years ago and that it was not under warranty. In fact, the “warranty” was only for 30 days after purchase!

To add insult to injury, they then implied that if I told my story to the camera community they would refer the issue to their attorneys.

I informed the hapless Screenpatronus representative that I was weighing my legal options and was not going to be cowed by their clumsy threats… Furthermore, I reminded them that the First Amendment to the Constitution still applies!

Please draw your own conclusions and caveat emptor!

Roger

Looks like I have the same problem. Used the products on m8/m9 with no problem and then on the S2 asap . Pulled off the original protector today and it looks like the screen is shot .

Al..did you try to clean it yourself with anything ?

albertknappmd;4654 wrote: Over the years, I have purchased LED screen plastic protectors from a company in New Jersey called Screenpatronus http://www.screenpatronus.com/screen-protector-policies.html for my M8, M9P, R8-9 DMRs and most recently my S2. The clear plastic protectors were adverstised as safe and guarranteed against workmanship defects.

I would apply them prior to a trip and then removed them when storing the camera.

I recently returned form 10 days in Icleand with my S2 and found that the protector had left a very perceptable and indellible film on the LED.

I sent the camera to Leica as the film was very obvious and even they could not remove it! I ended up having to replace the LED which cost about $1200.00 (USD)

I contacted Screenpatronus and explained the problem. At first, they stated that I was not in their “customer base” and had never purchased the item from them. I emailed a copy of the purchase order and then they “found me”. I then forwarded a detailed screed stating how and when the protector was applied, how previous protectors ahd never had a problem and, as a physician, how meticulous my technique has and had always bee.. The representative at Screenpatronus eventually responded to my inquiry stating that I had probably misapplied the screen protector and that the film/residue was “my fault”. Furthermore, they stated that I had purchased the product several years ago and that it was not under warranty. In fact, the “warranty” was only for 30 days after purchase!

To add insult to injury, they then implied that if I told my story to the camera community they would refer the issue to their attorneys.

I informed the hapless Screenpatronus representative that I was weighing my legal options and was not going to be cowed by their clumsy threats… Furthermore, I reminded them that the First Amendment to the Constitution still applies!

Please draw your own conclusions and caveat emptor!

Jason Holiday

I used to work for 3M specialty film production plant. These type of material held up pretty good under normal use, but should be replaced it every six months or so. My best guesstimate that you probably left it there for too long.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.