Discussion Forum Leica M System M Monochrom Sensor spots, or something else?
    dalethorn

Here’s what I’m getting with every photo now – the round spots, some dark and some light. I’m not a lens switcher BTW – when I got the camera and lens, I was careful to make sure to be in a dust-free area and then attach the lens. It hasn’t been detached since.

Doug

Sure looks like dirt spots on the sensor to me. I didn’t see any light spots, just ones darker than the background… It seems well established that M cameras will splatter shutter lube and bits of metal debris as the new shutter wears in. Applies to the S as well? This would explain how it happens without the vulnerability of lens changes.

dalethorn

I ordered one of those Giottos rocket air blower things. I hope it works. Leica says they “take no responsibility” for whatever happens. Not exactly a confidence builder.

David Farkas

dalethorn;5534 wrote: I ordered one of those Giottos rocket air blower things. I hope it works. Leica says they “take no responsibility” for whatever happens. Not exactly a confidence builder.

Unfortunately, dust is par for the course on digital sensors, especially on CCD sensors like that used in the Monochrom. In most cases, the small dark spots get hidden in the image and are of no consequence. In cases where the spots are more visible, they are usually in open areas of sky. These are easily and quickly removed with the dust removal tool in LR. Single click on each spot and they are gone.

The rocket blower works pretty well, but you may not be able to get all spots off the sensor. If the spots ulitmately bother you, you can send the camera to Leica in NJ and they will clean the sensor for you at no charge.

dalethorn

David Farkas;5544 wrote: The rocket blower works pretty well, but you may not be able to get all spots off the sensor. If the spots ulitmately bother you, you can send the camera to Leica in NJ and they will clean the sensor for you at no charge.

Thanks David. I’m going to try the blower (safely of course!), and if that gets some of them off then I’ll stick it out for as long as possible before sending it in.

JerryY

David Farkas;5544 wrote: If the spots ulitmately bother you, you can send the camera to Leica in NJ and they will clean the sensor for you at no charge.

David, is that correct? Will Leica, NJ really clean the sensor at no charge? Does that apply also to the S? If so, who do we contact?

Jerry

dalethorn

JerryY;5564 wrote: David, is that correct? Will Leica, NJ really clean the sensor at no charge? Does that apply also to the S? If so, who do we contact? Jerry

Just to note, I opened the shutter and used my new Giottos “rocket blower” on the sensor, or more precisely the glass covering the sensor. I took blank blue-sky photos before and after, and my “treatment” removed no dust (or whatever it is), and it added one new spot.

David Farkas

JerryY;5564 wrote: David, is that correct? Will Leica, NJ really clean the sensor at no charge? Does that apply also to the S? If so, who do we contact?

Jerry

Yes, Leica NJ will clean your sensor at no charge, S included.

The only drawback will be being without your camera for a while.

To send directly to Leica:

Leica Camera
    1 Pearl Ct
    Unit A
    Allendale, NJ 07401
    Attn: Service Dept

Include a note that says you would like the sensor cleaned and the camera checked for good working order. Also, be sure to include your contact information and return address. Best to send just the camera body and remove any and all accessories.

JerryY

Thank-you David. I’ll take advantage of that after my daughter’s wedding in November.

Jerry

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.