Discussion Forum Leica S System Leica S (Typ 006) Another S Bag Thread :rolleyes:
    WPalank

Heading off for the Western Coast of Ireland and the Rugged Atlantic Coastline for an Editorial shoot next week and thought I’d give a Heads up on my new Bag System for Traveling abroad while keeping things close in the Airplane Cabin after Check-in.
    Personally, I love the Leica S Case and feel it is extremely well thought out and executed, but it is cut out to fairly exacting specifications that don’t allow much in the way of spontaneity.

Enter the Filson Magnum Collection recently released. Unfortunately, the line is not carried at the present moment by our friends in Miami. The San Francisco counterpart tells me they have tried, but the folks at Filson (or their distributor), do not seem to want to return calls.
    My new choice for an Airline Cabin/Field Bag is the “McCurry Sportsman Bag”. Much larger than appearing in website Photos. Do what I do, and take out a Tape Measurer. The Dimensions of my Bag are exactly as stated on the website. Not cheap, but the quality is there and it looks like it will protect my Gazillion Dollar S Set-up through airplane turbulence and a rugged Irish Country road lined with Stone Fences.
    http://tinyurl.com/p6x5jed

To roll it through the Airports I bought this product. I found it in a Luggage Shop and is also sold on Amazon. A Luggage Travel Trolley. Small, Light, seemingly durable. Inexpensive.
    http://tinyurl.com/mg8hyrf

To top things off, rolling through Airline Terminals and to carry my Computer in the Field as well as my Monochrom Body and Chargey Things, sitting atop the Sportsman, will be the Filson Magnum “Harvey BackPack”. It arrives Friday and if anything like the McCurry, should be awesome.
    http://tinyurl.com/lv87ma7

Will let others know how the new Bags fare on a Country Road Trip on the Coast of Ireland. At least I know my Lighting Travel Kit has never let me down on several trips to East Africa.
    All the Best,
    william

rsmphoto

Filson makes great stuff indeed. But what this all adds up to is the Tenba Roadie (rolling backpack) I’ve been using for my S system for extensive travel the past two years. Granted the Tenba doesn’t break down to a shoulder bag, but it carries my S system and 15″ MacBook Pro quite compactly with room for my M and a few lenses.

David Farkas

WPalank;8629 wrote:

Enter the Filson Magnum Collection recently released. Unfortunately, the line is not carried at the present moment by our friends in Miami. The San Francisco counterpart tells me they have tried, but the folks at Filson (or their distributor), do not seem to want to return calls.

William,

Leica Store Miami is now a Filson dealer!

We should be receiving our first delivery soon.

WPalank

Great David,
    Having stepped on off a few Airline Carriers, Loaded them in Overhead Compartments, I couldn’t be more Happy. Durable and with a waxed material that will only patina and look better with age. Fit perfectly in the back of my Land Rover as I roar through the Irish Countryside. 😉
    Cheers,
    William

John McMaster

What lenses did you fit in it? Thinking of the hood on 24mm and 30/90 primarily….

Does it have a firm base, i.e will not fold in half if a lens is taken out of the middle?

thanks

john

WPalank

Very thick, no folding. All my Lenses. (CS) 120, 180 (with adapter), 45, 70, 30-90 Vario, S with RRS L_Plate Attached, Leica Monochrome, %o Noctilux….basically everything.

John McMaster

Thanks, any chance of seeing what it looks like packed? Looking at 24, 35, 70, 120, 180, 30/90 plus S2/grip and whatever else fits…. No opportunity to see one before purchase as I am in NZ, the Ms have their own bag(s) 😉

john

WPalank

Sorry John, too much work as it is unpacked and safely in my Leica hard Case. It’s the ONLY solution in my mind. You will have to take me at my word. 😉
    All I can say is it is Bigger than I thought (look at Images on Site) then get out Tape measurer. I don’t know ghat you would be looking for anyway to Sway a Decision. It has dividers that you can move 3 Dimensionally to Accommodate any custom needs.
    Oh, Best I can do Mate….

Attachments:
    John McMaster

Thanks again, I can see that it will easily fit the lenses but just those two bigger hoods to worry about

cheers

john

WPalank

Your Right!! There is no way to Safely Travel with the Kit. Even though I did (AND SAFELY) with the 30-90 Vario Hood over about 1000 Kilometers. I have no idea what ˆ was Thinking?????

John McMaster

I ordered one and it has just arrived. Everything fitted in on first attempt, there may be room for improvement, but it is a tight fit in the padding.

S2-P kit in Filson Magnum bag

Thanks for recommendation

john

ndwgolf

I recently bought a new Leica S-006 along with 3 lenses 30mm, 70mm and 120mm. I also bought two Billingham bags
    The first bag is the Billingham 335 that will hold all my gear including a bunch of accessories
    The second bag is the Billingham Small. This bag will hold two lenses and all my S accessories and I use this bag as a walk about bag with the Body and one lens attached either around my neck or with a hand grip

Anonymous

Morning

I use a f-stop Ando for a lot of jobs with the S, it works really well due to its depth, it can easily carry the body with a 180 attached and 2 other lenses as well as a laptop, obviously it’s a heavy kit but very easy to work from the bag. I have just got back from an assignment in Mali for 2 months, went with the S 006, 35, 70 and 180 in the Ando and it worked perfectly, highly recommended.

Mat

Giorgio

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.