Discussion Forum Leica M System M8 and M8.2 R Lenses to M Mount, Recommended?
    Manilaman2001

I am using a M8.2, and have 3 M lenses.

I am also an avid DSLR user, and have 3 R lenses used with EOS R Adapters. It is with this rig that I also got attracted to the M.

I’ve read about adapters made by Novoflex, Kippen, Rayqual & Fotodiox (which I use for the DSLR) for R lens to M mounts.

I am also in the market to acquire an M6.

Given this terrain, do you recommend using adapters for R Lenses to M mounts? :confused: If you would, which brand would you recommend?

stephan

to be honest, I think this is not a very good idea (unless you use mainly wide-angle lenses stoped down). Focussing will be poor (reading from the scale) or absent.

Also, most R-Lenses are somewhat bigger than M-Lenses, so it is not that compact.

I would probably opt for a new DSLR or a recent mirrorles-camera.

There is an adapter from Leica, though ……..

Manilaman2001

It seems that most have the same opinion about the limitations of these solution. i guess the R’s go back to the selling block. I just wanted to see the options of keeping the R’s. Then again you may be right to check the 4/3 and mirrorless bodies. Thank you!!

stephan

you may wait for a mirrorless camera from Leica later, but it is at this time pure speculation if and when this will be on the market.

There are also some bodies (Ricoh, Sony, Fuji etc) that will give you the flexibility to youse your M-lenses as well as the R-Lenses.

And, as i said, in some situations, especially for landscape-photography, it works well on a M. You just need more time and atention for focussing.

jewf

It seems that most have the same opinion about the limitations of these solution. i guess the R’s go back to the selling block. I just wanted to see the options of keeping the R’s. Then again you may be right to check the 4/3 and mirrorless bodies. Thank you!!

Sacs Longchamp

Manilaman2001

Well 4 months after i asked this questioned, got your replies, and now have sold the 3 R lenses, Leica comes out with the R to M adapter. :(:(:( Nothing lost, i got better and equivalent focal length glass for the M. I could have just kept them for the Canon bodies. 🙁

David Farkas

Manilaman2001;3374 wrote: Well 4 months after i asked this questioned, got your replies, and now have sold the 3 R lenses, Leica comes out with the R to M adapter. :(:(:( Nothing lost, i got better and equivalent focal length glass for the M. I could have just kept them for the Canon bodies. 🙁

Sadly, no one knew when Leica would provide a solution to use R lenses or what that solution would ultimately look like. You can always buy some R lenses back…. 😉

Manilaman2001

David Farkas;3387 wrote: Sadly, no one knew when Leica would provide a solution to use R lenses or what that solution would ultimately look like. You can always buy some R lenses back…. 😉

David,

What frustrates me was I offered it after searching for options, and within months of all my inquiries and selling the R lenses, they release the very item I was looking for. I was using the R lenses with my canon EOS set. Now I have M lenses for the m8.2 and the m6. The thought I could have kept the R eats me up inside, since I was there already. The hunt for bargains now begins, again.

Derick
    Manila, Philippines

jaapv

You’ll need to buy an M as well to focus them.:rolleyes:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.