Discussion Forum Leica S System S Lenses Learn this warning to avoid losing a lens
    Jack MacD

I was doing some photography out of a float plane yesterday and was confused by the lack of seeing an f stop in the viewfinder half way through the shoot. Then I noticed that the focus button was not working. There was a blinking warning triangle I had never seen before. Yes, I had seen a warning triangle for exposure compensation, but not this blinking warning triangle. The photos were coming up fine, and I was shooting wide open anyway so I didn’t worry about the fact I couldn’t close down the f stop.

When I got out of the plane and back to land, I realized the problem. The lens change release button must have gotten pressed, because the tens was not seated properly. If it had continued to rotate during my focusing, it was highly likely that my 120mm would have fallen off the camera! Yes it is water resistant when attached to the camera, but not so much when falling 2,000 feet into water.

I suggest you all look through your viewfinder when the lens is released a bit of a turn so you get used to seeing what it looks like.

Yeah, I should have figured this out while up in the air, but then I was just trying to get shots.

Attached files

Mark Gowin

That was a close call. Thanks for sharing this info so the rest of us can learn from it.

Albert Knapp, MDAvatar photo

You were very lucky and won’t repeat that mistake again! How did your pictures come out? Was the electronic connection perfect despite the incomplete connection?
    Albert:D:D

proenca

Being a new S2 owner, lots of stuff is new to me.

Friend this weekend loaned me his 35mm lens * big mistake, but thats another story * and when I put again my 70mm , this triangle appeared. Though it was the exposure comp triangle, but this blinked.

All was pretty much normal until I came to the forum to well, procastrinate a bit eheheh and saw this post. Went back to my S2 and was this / the lens was not correctly attached and not properly seated.

Thanks for sharing this !

Jack MacD

Always happy to save someone from having a $5-7000 lens hit the floor, much less a lake.
    I’m curious what drew your attention to this post? I tried to make it attention getting but perhaps I could do better?

So now tell us your 35mm story please

Jack

proenca

Jack MacD;3885 wrote: Always happy to save someone from having a $5-7000 lens hit the floor, much less a lake.
    I’m curious what drew your attention to this post? I tried to make it attention getting but perhaps I could do better?

So now tell us your 35mm story please

Jack

Since I just bought a S2 ( I know, I know, not two years ago as everyone else, but Im happy as a kid can be in a candy store now 🙂 ) and Im also new to Medium Format > used dSLR’s a while ago (may moons ago) and for the last decade Ive been a rangefinder Leica user, from film to all the digital iterations of the thing (still keeping my M9 as of today though, just cant part with it)

Ive tried MFD here and there, but always for a few days or hours – and everything is new to me in this arena – shutter speeds (minimum), iso (maximum until im happy), processing files, etc. So Im pretty much opening all the topics of the S2 and getting as much info as I can and trying to avoid other people mistakes and not to repeat them 🙂

One thing Ive learned in my first week with the S2 : its a mistress. It is ! Proper technique, proper handling, proper shutter speeds and the rewards are immense. Careless approach, disregards to technique and its implaccable, shows no mercy.

Im regards of the 35mm S lens, my big mistake was putting it on my camera > I want one now… *sigh* .. these S optics are simply perfect. No flaws.

Have to forget that 35mm for few moons now, just had the blessing of the wife to spend 12k on the S2 and keeping the M9, so .. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.