Discussion Forum Leica M System M8 and M8.2 M8 Shutter Actuation Count
    mbarzegar

I am looking at buying a used M8 and need to determine the shutter count. The seller does not know as he bought it used. The latest picture shot on the camera was assigned L9997077.jpg by the camera. I am having a hard time determining which part of this file name is the folder name and which part is the hexadecimal number that needs to be converted. Any ideas? Thanks.

David Farkas

mbarzegar;2204 wrote: I am looking at buying a used M8 and need to determine the shutter count. The seller does not know as he bought it used. The latest picture shot on the camera was assigned L9997077.jpg by the camera. I am having a hard time determining which part of this file name is the folder name and which part is the hexadecimal number that needs to be converted. Any ideas? Thanks.

The file name is not a good indicator of shot count. If you have an EXIF viewer such as Opanda IExif you can just open the last JPG shot and look for a value called Unique Image ID. This value is given in Hex, so it will need to be converted into decimal. Use an online conversion tool like http://easycalculation.com/hex-converter.php to convert it. This is the shutter count of the camera.

mbarzegar

Hi David! Thanks for the reply. Since posting this I have tried to retrieve the data doing exactly what you describe. However, the EXIF viewer data does not show anything called Unique Image ID. The only data field that might be close to what you are describing is the following:

EXIF Version {0x9000} 0220

David Farkas

If you are still having issues getting shutter count, try downloading the M8 Info program. There is also an M9 Info program here as well. Very easy.

jdlaing

Turn the camera on.
    Press the right arrow key 4 times.
    Press the left arrow key 3 times.
    Press the right arrow key 1 more time.
    Press the info button.
    Scroll down to body debug data.
    Press Set.
    Scroll down to NUMEXPOSURES.

Turn camera off to exit……..

Josh Lehrer

I actually did not know of that shortcut to get to the M8’s service menu, however I can confirm that it works! This is the screen you will see after selecting “Body Debug Data”:

jdlaing

😀

I knew you’d like that.

Josh Lehrer

I tried this on an M9 just for fun, but no luck. Is there a similar service menu for the M9?

jdlaing

Josh Lehrer;3499 wrote: I tried this on an M9 just for fun, but no luck. Is there a similar service menu for the M9?

There is but it hasn’t been cracked yet.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.