David Farkas

I’m curious to hear everyone’s predictions for what Leica will announce at Photokina 2012.

fotografz

Hard to say David, they are so cryptic.

I think the majority of news will revolve around the use of CMOS sensors in flagship cameras. They haven’t been coy about that. How they handle CMOS will be a critical aspect for M and S users.

The discounts for M9 cameras seem to be a clear signal that the M10 will be announced … Hasselblad did the same, then just announced the H5.

Whether there are other products to announce is a question of less importance to me personally … but a FF small EVF camera would be a good idea given that Sony and others are accelerating toward FF NEX type cameras.

The M 28/1.4 is heavily rumored, so I think that is a possibility with at least a protoype at Photokina. Maybe the S24mm?

For me, the most important announcement (or lack of announcement) will be the rumored S3. While I am fully prepared for the M10, the expense of a new S3 body is far more iffy … it will come down to either upgrading my H4 to the H5, or getting a S3 … not both.

Hasselblad did an evolutionary upgrade of many highly used technical aspects, and gave the camera a facelift. The S2 would have to be substantially upgraded to warrant a S3, and Leica has no body for body upgrade path like Hasselblad does, which makes it a bit more difficult. A CMOS based S3 with a very good ISO 3200 and decent 6400, live view and some form of multi-point AF with improved speed/accuracy would warrant the upgrade because I could off-load most 35mm DSLR gear … and then I’d probably keep the S2 as back-up.

-Marc

PebblePlace

I’m not so worried about the Leica S3 price. I think it is more important that there is an S3 because that will affirm Leica’s commitment to the platform. And S2 users will know, if the time comes, they do have upgrade options. As for the “S3”, or maybe a S2.2, my guesses –

1) Still CCD, same sensor, same pixel count
    2) Expanded upper ISO range by 2 stops or maybe ISO 2500 as top, but a 2 stop improvement
    3) Generally, cleaner output (evolutionary update of electronics)
    4) Updated / improved auto-focus
    5) A new rear LCD screen
    6) New menu graphics
    7) ISO in the viewfinder
    8) A smarter / easier way to change EC
    9) Elimination of the P vs non-P; presumably all will be “P” variants
    10) Maybe 1/125th X-sync bumped to 1/160th
    11) Rework the service / support packages

I don’t think current S2 users will be rushing to upgrade (unless Leica offers a really attractive trade-in program – doubtful), but depending on where Leica puts the price, maybe they will attract more new owners. I also suspect that a M10 with Live View and CMOS will cannibalize some of the S sales.

Whatever the case, I am looking forward to tomorrow’s announcements – whatever they may be.

Roger

I predict few surprises .

M10 ….will be CMOS probably 24MP ….all that CMOS brings …live view,video,EVF attachment ,better high ISO . Evolution of battery,screen,buffer and card speeds to near current standards . Preservation of classic RF solution . Availability not until 03/12 to allow for more field testing and production ramp up .

S3….small upgrades to S2 ..same 40MP CCD sensor same body,battery ,processor …evolution covering most requested pro features . Insufficient to stimulate significant trading out of the S2 . Great camera evolving .

NO Leica EVIL camera ..maybe a discussion prototype .

No really new S glass ..just introduction of the 24 and the zoom plus the CS lenses . Important rounding out of lens line .

M will get the 28/1.4asph .

Plenty of improvements in the details but only the M10 will be a surprise.

Still its a super impressive line of equipment and just the M10 will carry the buzz.

PebblePlace

Phase One’s announcements were underwhelming and the Hasselblad H5D fell short of the hype generated by Hass’ pre Photokina announcement. So if Leica surprises us with a bold upgrade to the S, they could steal the show in terms of medium format. I think the M10 will be the high point as well.

Imran520

Photokina 2012 is the chance for camera manufacturers to show off brand new cameras and exciting products for the year ahead.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.