RVB

I’ve just been using the Hasselblad 120macro (great lens) and one great feature on this lens/body system would be a great idea for the Leica S.. When you add the macro to the H body the A.F settings shows a new setting which is exclusive to this lens,that is the ability the choose from near scan,full scan or infinity scan.

It would be a welcome asset to the S system if Leica could implement this in future firmware…

melantye

RVB;6153 wrote: I’ve just been using the Hasselblad 120macro (great lens) and one great feature on this lens/body system would be a great idea for the Leica S.. When you add the macro to the H body the A.F settings shows a new setting which is exclusive to this lens,that is the ability the choose from near scan,full scan or infinity scan.

It would be a welcome asset to the S system if Leica could implement this in future firmware…

I second this suggestion, esp when doing a portrait session without help of manual focusing screen, sometimes the focus hunt is annoying.

peterv

+1

Very good idea, Rob. The focus hunt is my only complaint about this lens, though it’s certainly not as bad as it sounds on some message boards around the net. I find that when focussing with AF it helps when I point the cross hairs at a contrasty point close to where I want actual focus and then activate AF again for the last bit.

I had never before thought about a way to do this in software, always having a physical focus limiter button in mind. I guess that since the camera knows through electronic communication with the lens at what distance the lens is set, this option is quite feasible.

Fingers crossed Leica can make this happen.

David Farkas

Interesting approach. I’m trying to think about how this could be implemented without creating a possible stumbling block. Imagine you pick up the camera, forget to change the focus zone and end up either thinking the lens is broken or missing a shot because you were fumbling with the menus.

Any thoughts?

peterv

You’re right David, there probably should be some kind of message/warning that the focus limiter is on.

How about on the rear LCD in the camera quadrant something like this:

FL (Focus Limit) 3M

Rob, how does the Hassy do this?

melantye

David Farkas;6166 wrote: Interesting approach. I’m trying to think about how this could be implemented without creating a possible stumbling block. Imagine you pick up the camera, forget to change the focus zone and end up either thinking the lens is broken or missing a shot because you were fumbling with the menus.

Any thoughts?

The focus limiting function can be reset every time you power down and up again, i.e. set it once in the beginning of a session and it will be kept for that session only. This way no fear of user forgetting the setting. I imagine for portraits I can map it to the stop-down button to quickly access and make changes.

I also like Peter’s idea of a simple display when this function is in effect, but maybe on the small LED screen instead as it’s always lit. Just an exclamation mark will do.

RVB

peterv;6169 wrote: You’re right David, there probably should be some kind of message/warning that the focus limiter is on.

How about on the rear LCD in the camera quadrant something like this:

FL (Focus Limit) 3M

Rob, how does the Hassy do this?

Peter,it’s set up in the settings which is located on the top LCD.. its very fast to do this on a blad, when shooting there is nothing to indicate which setting its on and when you reboot it will still on on whatever scan you left it on.. But I think thats not an issue,if its on infinity and you need near it’s easy to and fast to change..

I think if you could add an icon to the viewfinder display when this is activated it would be the best solution for the S…

Rob

stephan

this is an old complaint about this lens, in fact I suggested a focus limiter allready one week after I had it. It is one reason why I don’t use this lens anymore for portrait work.

Instead, I use the Hasselblad 100/2.2 and the 150/3.5 with the HC-adapter, and they are great lenses for the S.

My wish is that one day they will make something like a 100 Summicron for the S.

WPalank

Please correct me if wrong, but known as a “Focus Limiter”.
    Typically seen in hardware, I for one vote for a Firmware Approach.

Knowing that there is a Limiter in the Firmware, it would only take me once to be confused as to why the Focusing has gone bonkers, as David alludes.

However, I did get the chance to test the Beta Version of Firmware 2.4.0.0 that Ben Ross has in one of his S Body’s. Man is that thing sweet with the 120CS. Brings it to a whole different Level as far as AF Search. Trust me.

Also, does everyone else know that it is not necessary to do lens Firmware Updates on the S (006). Regular Firmware does that for us. Possibly why Leica AG does not have the newest Firmware out on the original Update Release over a month ago.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.