Discussion Forum Leica S System Images to Share S2 and H4D/60 on same shoot.
    fotografz

Actually, this portrait shoot was 98% done with the Hasselblad because I needed the higher sync speed for a majority of the portrait session for another photographer’s family. Necessary because the lighting in the background of most shots was positively nuclear (can’t wait for the S/CS lenses and the H to S adapter!).

But at the end of the session at a different location, the lighting was such that high speed sync wasn’t necessary, and I could use the S2 and H4D/60 for a few shots of the photographer herself … with each camera in her hand (which she got a kick out doing : -)

The H4D/60 shot was at ISO 200 using the HC210/4 @ f/4 @ 1/160th (monopod used). Lighting was a Gridded Rotalux 2′ X 3″ softbox on a Profoto 600B AIR behind and camera left to the subject … front light was a diffused 39″ Rotalux Deep Octa on a D1 500 AIR using a Profoto BatPac for power.

The shot using the S2 was ISO 160 with the 120/2.5 @ 2.5 @ 1/60th (monopod used) Ever so slight puff of fill from the front octa and the rear light turned off to produce a more ambient feel to the shot.

Both cropped to 8X10 ratio and sized for 16″ X 20″ prints.

Interesting to note the background differences.

-Marc

Attached files

stephan

what a beautiful photographer 🙂

this said, I like the rendering and bokeh of the hasselblad lens better, also the tones look a bit warmer, but all this may depend on the focal length ….

fotografz

Good observations Stephan.

The slight temperature differences can probably be directly attributed to more strobe lighting used on the Hassey shot compared to more ambient (shade) on the S2 shot. Lighting is often the biggest single factor … however, up big, I do like the S2 shot a lot for its more natural look and feel. Just different lighting really.

The H4D/60 uses a full 645 sensor, and if I recall correctly, as the sensor size and meg count increases, the DOF gets shallower. It also uses a Dalsa sensor which is renowned for its skin tones.

I’m waiting for my H to S adapter, and when I get it I’ll be able to do a pretty comprehensive comparison of the HC lenses on the S2 with it’s smaller sensor to see the effect with different focal lengths. Of course the character will be different with the HC optics, but I think that may be a good thing and provide S2 users with more choice while still retaining AF and gaining High Speed sync with a broader range of focal lengths

I have the newer HC50-II and 150N as well as the 100/2.2 … and will shortly trade my current HC120/4 Macro for the newer version with better close up performance and has a bit higher diffraction limit. Compared to the S-120/2.5, the HC 120 does 1:1 … so it should be interesting to add the versatility.

-Marc

BTW, those thinking of adding a HC lens should avoid the older 50mm, the new one is light years better. Hassey had to upgrade some of their lenses to meet the demands of the 60 meg back and the 50 or 200 multi-shot cameras. The 150N verses the previous one is dependent on application, if for portraits, it probably doesn’t matter a whole lot.

Mark Gowin

Beautiful lady and photographs. My first reaction was that I preferred background rendering of the Hasselblad HC210mm over the Leica S120mm and in general preferred the Hasselblad photo. However, upon closer inspection of the web sized images, I think the difference has more to do with the lighting than the lens rendering.

The Hasselblad photo has nice hair light (looks like natural light streaming in) and the front fill brightens the eyes and gives them a pleasing catchlight. Also, it appears the fill light allowed for a shorter exposure and darker background – although that could be a result of changing natural light. Anyway, the thing I first found most pleasing about the Hasselblad background rendering was the abscence of distracting circles/aberrations – the S120mm seemed to have more of them. Then it occurred to me that the difference between the photos is the background in the S120mm photo has more bright spots in it and show up as circles. The Hasselblad shot has circles also, but they are not bright so the major difference between the two renderings is the background lighting. The H4D/60 and HC210 combo appears to have a more shallow depth of field than the S2 and 120mm combo which may also account for some of the difference.

There is something about the S2 photo that I really like, but the Hasselblad photo is also very very good. I wonder if the comparison would very different if the lighting had been constant.

stephan

Yes, the Hasselblad sensor is bigger, I think the equivalent of the 210 lens should be something arround 150-170 mm or so for the S2.

can’t wait to get my Hasselblad HC-Adapter ……. got the 150 HC allready and I’m looking for the 100 actually. (If someone needs a Hasselblad V adapter, I have one for sale).

I really like the new flexibility given with this new adapter, instead of waiting lightyears for new Leica-Lenses.

fotografz

Mark Gowin;2577 wrote: Beautiful lady and photographs. My first reaction was that I preferred background rendering of the Hasselblad HC210mm over the Leica S120mm and in general preferred the Hasselblad photo. However, upon closer inspection of the web sized images, I think the difference has more to do with the lighting than the lens rendering.

The Hasselblad photo has nice hair light (looks like natural light streaming in) and the front fill brightens the eyes and gives them a pleasing catchlight. Also, it appears the fill light allowed for a shorter exposure and darker background – although that could be a result of changing natural light. Anyway, the thing I first found most pleasing about the Hasselblad background rendering was the abscence of distracting circles/aberrations – the S120mm seemed to have more of them. Then it occurred to me that the difference between the photos is the background in the S120mm photo has more bright spots in it and show up as circles. The Hasselblad shot has circles also, but they are not bright so the major difference between the two renderings is the background lighting. The H4D/60 and HC210 combo appears to have a more shallow depth of field than the S2 and 120mm combo which may also account for some of the difference.

There is something about the S2 photo that I really like, but the Hasselblad photo is also very very good. I wonder if the comparison would very different if the lighting had been constant.

Mark, the point wasn’t to make a comparison in the literal sense of the word. I was shooting a job, not testing systems.

It just happened that I wanted to shoot the photographer with my H4D/60 in hand and I don’t have two of them : -) … so I pressed the S2 into service. For most of the shoot, I needed the higher sync speed of the H camera to control the background ambient … which you rightly observed in these two shots … the H shot was done at a higher shutter speed which altered the rendering of the ambient light. 1/160 at f/4 wasn’t an option with the S2 … but will be as soon as I get my hands on the H to S adapter, or the S/CS version lenses … which then will open up those options.

What I found interesting is the difference in draw … the background in the S2 120mm shot packed up the background closer to the subject than the 210 did, which appears further away. Interesting how different sized sensors and use of different focal lengths Provides different looks and feel to an image. However, we have to also keep in mind that the S2 was cropped a bit more to meet the 8X10 ratio for 16″ X 20″ prints.

-Marc

P.S., just completed a multi-location “engagement” portrait session where I used the S2 w/35/70/120 exclusively and did 90% of it ambient only since it was overcast … then the sun made an un-predicted reappearance (weatherman wrong again!) So, the other 10% really should have been done with higher sync speeds and powerful strobes like the Hensel Porty 1200L … but I made do with a large 1 stop silk scrim for those that I could. The couple up in the tree below should have been lit with off-camera high-speed sync and a big Fresnel at max spread … but, oh well, the SF58 had to do.

Take a peek if you have a minute … to stay in budget, all done in the space of 2 hours including driving time to two different locations and the clients changing wardrobe. A couple shots came out pretty good, and I had a bit of creative post fun with a few. The client is deliriously happy which is all that really matters. All in a day’s work : -)

http://fotografz.smugmug.com/Portraits/Sam/23645181_FGkFKt#!i=1913620314&k=XcfxqpG

Attached files

David K

Interesting comparison Marc. I find this kind of thing much more informative than the more scientific apples to apples tests. I’ve been doing similar comparisons with the Leica S2 and D800E. I prefer the shot taken with the S2. There are subtle differences between the shots which are attributable to a variety of variables aside from the lighting. I sometimes find it difficult to express what it is that determines my preference…but I know it when I see it. Nice work and thanks for sharing.

Al Tanabe

Marc,
    You are a skilled technician and have a great eye! I greatly enjoy your comparative evaluations on real world situations. You prove that there is more to a photo than pixel peeping!

Al

fotografz

Thanks.

What I find interesting with the S2 is the ability to do so many styles of photography with it. While the shots I’ve posted here fall more into the non-candid arena, or are more structured in approach … there is nothing really dictating this. It is just a more MFD type use, especially when using lighting.

I now want to evolve more into the candid areas of photography with it which I actually am more well known for in my art and business. I think Mark G has demonstrated that aspect of the S2 quite well.

Trouble is I still have a M camera which I associate with that type of work more than any SLR type camera …

-Marc

fotografz

Should have add Kurt K to the “candid” mention above.

-Marc

Mark Gowin

fotografz;2597 wrote: Mark, the point wasn’t to make a comparison in the literal sense of the word. I was shooting a job, not testing systems.

Marc,

I understand you were not testing systems. Nevertheless, with similar images from two different camera/lens combos I couldn’t help but try to understand what I was seeing. My post was just me thinking out loud. I am not sure of the technical reasons why I prefer one image over another and I am making an effort to look closer at images to figure out what it is I like about them (other than composition, subject, and exposure).

The additional images you posted are well done and very creative.

fotografz

Yeah Mark, I’m not sure what I’m seeing either … LOL!

It really is two different looks and feels to a similar subject partially driven by the ability of the cameras as they now compare. When I get the leaf-shutter S lenses, they will be much closer in ability to work with lighting.

I am also dying to get my hands on the H to S adapter which will allow the same optics on both cameras … I have a big shoot coming up on the 12th of this month and had dearly hoped the adapter would be here by then … now I seriously doubt it will be : -(

Marc

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.