- June 18, 2015 at 12:36 pm #12250
Sent my S2 in for a sensor cleaning and just received a call to inform me that the source of the spots was not dust or oil droplets (common with certain Nikons, et al) but flakes from the sensor coating. They pointed out that the de-lamination would not show up on the images, but still it is a major concern that must be dealt with. And utterly disheartening in such an expensive piece of gear. It pretty much torpedoes any resale potential.
We all know about the M9 de-lamination problems but has anyone else experienced this with an S camera? I'll follow up to report on Leica's response, but any feedback from S2 owners would be quite helpful.
- June 19, 2015 at 11:08 am #12253GiorgioNew Memberwww.giorgioniro.comJoin Date: May 2014Posts: 10Currently using:
Looks like trouble. Did you send the camera in to Leica?
I sincerely hope that this works out for you.
- June 19, 2015 at 1:38 pm #12255
Not yet, I just discovered the problem. But I intend to and I'm optimistic that they'll do the right thing, I've generally had great experience with Leica service.
- June 19, 2015 at 5:55 pm #12257petervEstablished MemberJoin Date: Jul 2011Posts: 75Offline
Maybe you could post a 100% crop to show what the spots look like for future reference?
I've never heard about this on an S sensor before, but knowing the M9 sensor is from the same period and manufacturer, maybe this could be expected. Anyway, I hope you'll get your camera back ASAP!
- June 20, 2015 at 11:53 am #12258GiorgioNew Memberwww.giorgioniro.comJoin Date: May 2014Posts: 10Currently using:
+1 for Leica service, they are the best I have ever dealt with.
Very pro consumer!
- June 27, 2015 at 2:09 pm #12261
Here are two examples of particles I thought were dust but are actually flakes from de-lamination. In one sense it's a relief since I couldn't understand why so much dust remained after frequent cleanings with a Firefly de-ionizer. Plus, I'm very careful when changing lenses.
Hope this helps, Peter.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.