Al Tanabe

The weather gods kind of co-operated tonight and the clouds parted for a bit. Would have been better if there were no clouds on the horizon, is that asking too much for Seattle??? Shot with a Hasselblad 350 f4 FE and the other with the 180.

Al Tanabe

Got up this morning for the moonset, caught the Space Needle with it. Shot with Hasselblad 350 F4 FE + 1.4x extender.

David Farkas

Atanabe;2195 wrote: Got up this morning for the moonset, caught the Space Needle with it. Shot with Hasselblad 350 F4 FE + 1.4x extender.

Al,

This is other-worldly. Awesome shot. Did you shoot multiple exposures to get the moon and the Space Needle balanced?

Al Tanabe

David,
    No double exposure, the balance of light, sun rising while the moon set balanced out the exposure. Actually, the moon moves rather rapidly at that magnification making stacking of any kind pretty difficult, unless you can shoot at 11fps of course. Next month the timing may be a bit better as the sun and moon will be rising/setting at the same time.

On another note, need an AF long tele for the S, really struggled getting this in focus. At least give us a tele convertor! Because of the temperature difference inside/outside, the focus creeped slightly as it adjusted to the cold so I constantly had to stay on top of the focus. Used the Eye-Fi card and iPad to check for focus as I shot, best tech accessory that I bought so far.

Pete Walentin

Awesome shot. Great work.

I have been to Haleakala, but without any proper pollution the moon wasn’t that much bigger. 😉 On top of that 120mm is way to short for the moon.

Mark Gowin

Great images Al. I especially like the space needle photo. I also agree with you that we need a long tele S lens.

Al Tanabe

Thank you for the compliments gentlemen. Shooting in manual focus really is challenging, can’t wait for a long lens solution. Shooting side by side with all of the Canons and Nikons with long glass and VR, oh, and AF made me envious and yearn for younger (functioning) eyes. It is interesting that even at f11 the DOF is extremely shallow and does not forgive the slightest error.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.