Discussion Forum Leica S System Images to Share 1st use of S2 on assignment
    aboudd

I normally shoot architectural assignments with the shift lenses on the Nikon, but as it was not necessary in this case I decided to use the S2 with the 35MM lens. The dynamic range with the resolution and color rendering was great for this image. Very little post-processing was necessary. Take that D800! 😎

Attached files

David Farkas

aboudd;2446 wrote: I normally shoot architectural assignments with the shift lenses on the Nikon, but as it was not necessary in this case I decided to use the S2 with the 35MM lens. The dynamic range with the resolution and color rendering was great for this image. Very little post-processing was necessary. Take that D800! 😎

Nice to see the S2 is working out well for your paid jobs in addition to the ones just for fun!

aboudd

Hi David,

I intend to use it as much as I can on assignments when the situation allows. If there was a shift lens I could eliminate my Nikon kit altogether. 🙁

Mark Gowin

aboudd;2464 wrote: …If there was a shift lens I could eliminate my Nikon kit altogether… 🙁

There have been mentions of Leica making a shift lens for the S system, but I don’t know where it is at on there lens road map. It would definitely open up additional uses for the S2. I would like one for landscape photography. It would be great to be able to eliminate the skewed trees when pointing the camera up slightly to get the composition you want. I often change to a portrait orientation to minimize the perspective effect on the trees.

fotografz

Personally I wouldn’t hold my breath regarding a Leica shift lens for the S2. There was never one for the R series either … just an R mount Schneider 28mm which was okay, but not a stellar performer.

One could use a V adapter and the Hasselblad PC Mutar shift adapter with a Zeiss 40IF CFE, which I’ve used on other focal plane cameras … however, it is a 1.4X factor added to a somewhat cropped S2 FOV … i.e., not very wide. I don’t even know if infinity could be maintained with this on a S2 anyway.

http://harrysproshop.com/pcmutar/pcmutar.html

IMO, the compositional issues of perspective correction may be easier solved by software solutions, or should be in this day of profiled lens corrections. The S2 files are quite malleable, more so I found than 35mm files with dense pixel pitches. The trick is to take the corrections into account when shooting, and provide yourself with enough edge area … which may argue for using the 30mm as opposed to the 35.

Software PC applications used to be a lot more destructive or seemed so, but I haven’t noted that to be true today except with really massive corrections.

For all I know, there could already an excellent, dedicated PC software solution that is better than those in LR … I don’t shoot architectural work all that often, and when I do I use a Rollie Xact-2 with a H4D/60 back, or the Hasselblad TS/1.5 with a 28mm on the H camera.

-Marc

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.