Discussion Forum Leica M System Leica M (Typ 240) Tethering M240 with MF Handgrip M
    ski542002

Hi: Just took delivery of my MF Handgrip. Cannot find any info anywhere on how to get this combination to tether LR5 to my M240. Nothing in the manuals, nothing on Leica’s site, and unless I’m missing something, nothing when I do a google search. I tried the LR5 to M tether and the camera is not recognized. DO I need Image Shuttle? IF Yes, I can’t find “any” info on that software to download either. I’m well versed with and have no trouble tethering my Canon DSIII to both C1 Pro & Lightroom. Very frustrating.

Gravastar

See the thread here. Very annoying and frustrating! Best to read though all the posts from the beginning to extract snippets of useful information.

Bob.

Bobby Lee

Hi guys,

Just get my M 240 MF handgrip. I plugged it with a USB cord I use normally for my card reader and start up the LR 5 with my two generation behind MacBook Pro. The tethering just work fine. The software recognised the M240 without any delay.

So it sounds perfect! No! Why?

Because the way you plug in the USB cable (on the lower left of the camera back) when facing you, the cable itself just stick out and since the plug is hard rubber, you just cannot stick your face to the camera to focus!

That mean for those who would like to shoot fashion or people shots and need file transfer to the computer for almost real timer review will be very unhappy.

You can only do tethering when using Live View and on a tripod! Exciting!

just wonder if designer at Leica take photos with their prototype! The problem could easily (as least for me who is just a user) be solved by exchanging the flash sync connector from the right of the camera to where the USB connector is with the design. The Sync cord due to its universal design will not stick out more than a few mm as all nowadays sync connector are 90 degrees and the cord will just go down to the floor.

I am now indoor so cannot test the GPS although it said ‘on’!

Leica is amazing! Sounds like you can use a S or large format if you need this and that!

Bobby Lee

David Farkas

Bobby,

You raise good points about plug placement. Another option for shooting would be to use the EVF, which is how I’d probably shoot the M240 in a studio environment. With the EVF you can use it in waist-level orientation and see the exact framing and effect of lighting.

Bobby Lee

Hi David,

We have tried that too. But unfortunately, using the EVF equals to using LV and there is time delay between pressing the shutter and the shutter react. Not practical for fashion or baby photography!

Bobby

William McLenahan

Bobby,

I agree with you about the MF Handgrip M’s straight back cable and USB port location. May I suggest TetherTools TetherPro Mini B USB Right Angle Cable Adapter (Item #: CU5462RT). This angled adapter is designed to extend to the left side of the MF Handgrip M. I have also seen USB Micro-B Male Right Angle (Down Position) to Female Extension Cable (#AD-U43) on eBay. Unfortunately, the Power Adapter cable poses the same problem. I agree with David that LV or EVF are the practical solutions.

ski542002

Gravastar;5745 wrote: See the thread here. Very annoying and frustrating! Best to read though all the posts from the beginning to extract snippets of useful information.

Bob.

I did receive a replacement multifunction Grip from Josh at Miami Leica. The replacement grip works perfectly, and I have used the tethering function for a number of jobs without fail!

Having tethering with the M makes the Leica my go-to camera for a much higher percentage of jobs, vs. my Canon.

ski542002

William McLenahan;5886 wrote: Bobby,

I agree with you about the MF Handgrip M’s straight back cable and USB port location. May I suggest TetherTools TetherPro Mini B USB Right Angle Cable Adapter (Item #: CU5462RT). This angled adapter is designed to extend to the left side of the MF Handgrip M. I have also seen USB Micro-B Male Right Angle (Down Position) to Female Extension Cable (#AD-U43) on eBay. Unfortunately, the Power Adapter cable poses the same problem. I agree with David that LV or EVF are the practical solutions.

Greatly appreciate the “TetherTools” option. Just ordered it and can’t wait to try. I have not had any trouble rangefinder focusing using the standard cable, horizontal or vertical and I have a big head http://www.reddotforum.com/images/icons/icon6.png but the right-angle cable will still prove to be beneficial. Thanks!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.