Discussion Forum Leica S System Leica S (Typ 006) Issues when connecting via USB
    Alex AR

When working with the S on a Mac, I have the following problem: when you connect the camera via USB to the Mac, you have two choices: PTP protocol and mass storage protocol. Now, when you use PTP, you will only see “DNG icons” instead of previews when importing into Lightroom (4.3, latest version). This only happens with DNGs, not with JPGs. When you use mass storage, then you do see previews, however, when your camera goes into sleep mode after a while, the Mac thinks you just unplugged the drive, causing a potential data loss. I think I also had this happening in the middle of an upload. I believe this is a firmware bug, as the camera should not go into sleep while it is connected to a computer.

Do you know any workarounds for both issues (besides deactivating the sleep mode)?

Doug

Alex AR;4091 wrote: …Do you know any workarounds for both issues (besides deactivating the sleep mode)?

How about skipping the cable connection and go with a card reader?

Bob Moore

Doug;4094 wrote: How about skipping the cable connection and go with a card reader?

I would never cable connect a camera…unless shooting tethered.

Break the connector off goes the camera…break the card reader and replace it in twenty minutes from eight different stores near home, or when traveling.

David Farkas

Alex,

I’d also suggest using a card reader to download your images, rather than the camera. The USB connection on the camera is really only meant to use for tethered shooting to a computer. In the case of tethering, the data mode is set to External and the camera won’t go to sleep.

I use a Lexar USB 3.0 dual card reader with both SD and CF slots. On my laptop with a 600x CF card, I get 90MB/s download into LR. Over USB 2.0, you’d only get 20-25MB/s. A card reader is the fastest and most reliable way to transfer images.

Alex AR

Of course, I also use card readers… but still, the firmware should support a proper connection, i.e. not stop the connection when the camera goes into sleep mode.

Melisa Middel

Check for software updates for both Lightroom and your camera firmware. Sometimes, updates include bug fixes that might address compatibility issues. Experiment with different USB ports on your Mac to rule out any port-specific issues. Have you tried usb over internet solutions? These solutions are beneficial when you need to connect USB peripherals to a device that is physically distant.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.